Community
Wiki Posts
Search

LHR-LAX AA 135 Arrival Gate and Transfer to Domestic Out of T4

Search this Thread

Old Jun 28, 2015, 6:21 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Lost everything during the pandemic, and no more flying to HKG every six weeks (!) so back to AA LTG
LHR-LAX AA 135 Arrival Gate and Transfer to Domestic Out of T4

Hi All,

This seems to have been covered last fall, but given the pace of construction at LAX, I wanted to check in again. Will be flying into LAX from LHR on 135. I have a 1:45 layover to HNL. A few questions:

1) Will we arrive at TBIT or T4?
2) If landing at TBIT, do I have to go outside and walk to T-4 and then reenter?
3) Is the 1:45 enough time to re-check my bag and then make it through security? I am Global Entry and I should be TSA Pre-Check (though not sure if Pre -Check prints on the boarding bass is issued outside the US)?

Thanks everyone.

You are consistently my best source of advice!

Jamie
Old Jun 28, 2015, 6:44 pm

Programs: AA Executive Platinum, United
AA 135 arrived at gate 41 today. One hour and 45 mins should be plenty.Worst wait will be for checked luggage to show up on the carrousel.While waiting be sure to check out location of entrance to Global Entry Customs line. If your LHR BP has no Pre Chek then try to re-issue it at a kiosk at LAX or with a ticket agent.Good luck.
Old Jun 28, 2015, 8:33 pm

Programs: AA EXP 1.2mm, Kimpton IC, Starwood Gold, Marriott Gold
Originally Posted by jmccarron
(though not sure if Pre -Check prints on the boarding bass is issued outside the US)?
I think this old glitch has been fixed. My BPs printed in Beijing had pre-check for the domestic connection.

As always, avoid checking bags with a tight connection if at all possible.
Old Jun 28, 2015, 9:42 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Lost everything during the pandemic, and no more flying to HKG every six weeks (!) so back to AA LTG
Originally Posted by pssteve
AA 135 arrived at gate 41 today.
Saw this, but has baggage claim listed as TBIT. Yesterday's baggage claim is listed as CUST. Is there some connection that routes you to TBIT to go through immigration and customs?
Old Jun 28, 2015, 9:43 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by SJC AA
I think this old glitch has been fixed. My BPs printed in Beijing had pre-check for the domestic connection.
Good to know. Thanks!
Old Jun 28, 2015, 10:13 pm

Programs: UA *G, BA Silver
My experience has been one arrival at Gate 41, and being bussed to TBIT for customs and immigration; and one arrival at TBIT and a walk to customs and immigration (both this year). The former was remarkably slow - even with Global Entry and no checked baggage my 105 minute connection went by without time for a shower in the lounge (15 minutes in the lounge was barely enough time to grab dinner).

My mental note is that LAX arrivals can be very challenging compared to JFK or ORD (I haven't done DFW).
Old Jun 29, 2015, 3:15 am

Location: San Francisco, CA USA // UA 1K 2 Million Miler, AA EXP 2MM, HH Diamond, SPG Plat // Easily found on SFO-ORDs
Originally Posted by SeattleDavid
My experience has been one arrival at Gate 41, and being bussed to TBIT for customs and immigration; and one arrival at TBIT and a walk to customs and immigration (both this year). The former was remarkably slow - even with Global Entry and no checked baggage my 105 minute connection went by without time for a shower in the lounge (15 minutes in the lounge was barely enough time to grab dinner).

My mental note is that LAX arrivals can be very challenging compared to JFK or ORD (I haven't done DFW).
Pre-construction, LAX was great -- similar to JFK and DFW: arrive into shared-use domestic/international gates, be routed off the jetbridge downstairs into immigration/baggage claim/customs, then exit into the domestic arrivals level to then only need to go upstairs to re-enter domestic. ORD is more challenging, because it's a separate international terminal that requires monorail to domestic.

LAX's current situation is worst of all: the interminable bus transfers. DFW is generally a breeze and on par with JFK.
Old Jun 29, 2015, 10:39 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

If the plane arrives at TBIT it's pretty simple, go thru immigration, customs, exit, hang a right, very short walk to T4, enter, go thru security.

Non-intuitively arriving at T4 on an international flight is worse for a T4 connection. Because you get bused to TBIT, then go thru above!
Old Jul 2, 2015, 2:53 am

jmccarron Any news about this topic?
Old Jul 2, 2015, 3:28 pm

Programs: AA ExPlat, BA Gold, JL Saphire, SPG Plat, Marriott Gld
All AA international arrivals must clear customs/immigration at TBIT regardless of where the aircraft parks. Yes, there are FIS facilities at T4, however, US CBP doesn't man that facility right now and all passengers are forced to TBIT to clear customs/immigration.
Old Jul 2, 2015, 3:43 pm

Programs: AA, DL Platinum, AS, AF/KL, UA, VS, HA, Hilton Gold, Marriott Gold, Hertz Presidents Circle
Originally Posted by PurpleCircle
All AA international arrivals must clear customs/immigration at TBIT regardless of where the aircraft parks. Yes, there are FIS facilities at T4, however, US CBP doesn't man that facility right now and all passengers are forced to TBIT to clear customs/immigration.

Right now? Why doesn't CBP man T4 and will they ever?

Honestly, I would not book a long-haul international arrival at LAX on AA because of that ... TBIT bus.

Last edited by JDiver; Jul 2, 2015 at 6:12 pm Reason: Redact in accordance with Rules: 16
Old Jul 2, 2015, 11:27 pm
HNL
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Oakshadow
Right now? Why doesn't CBP man T4 and will they ever?

Honestly, I would not book a long-haul international arrival at LAX on AA because of that ... TBIT bus.
T4 is currently shutdown because of construction of the T4 - TBIT connector which will open next year - w00t. In the past the T4 Immigration and Customs facility had limited hours due to the cost involved in staffing the facility. It worked when AA had limited and constrained international arrivals but as they spread to broader time frames more and more of the flights fell outside the staffing periods.

With the new and expanded TBIT the new reality is AA will now clear immigration and customs at TBIT. As more gates open less of that will involve busing.
Old Jul 3, 2015, 12:41 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I got off a PVG-LAX flight a few weeks ago that landed just after the LHR-LAX flight. Our flight was at gate 41 and the LHR flight at 43. Since the LHR flight started unloading onto the buses first, they made us wait in the hallway (more like a holding pen) with most passengers backing up onto the jetway, until the entire LHR 777 was on buses. Then they allowed the PVG passengers to get on buses. We were stuck waiting in this cramped hallway for 15-20 minutes, a real bad welcome to the USA.

I understand the need for buses but I don't know why they can't mingle passengers from 2 different international flights. It was a bad experience and made me vow to avoid LAX for international arrivals on AA until they fix the walking connector.
Old Jul 3, 2015, 2:59 pm

Programs: AA LT Plat, IHG Plat., former LH HON (now Gold), Bonvoy Titanium
I also fondly remember the T4 arrival and T4 customs/immigration and have gone through all scenarios described above since that went away.
Old Jul 3, 2015, 6:11 pm

Programs: AA, DL Platinum, AS, AF/KL, UA, VS, HA, Hilton Gold, Marriott Gold, Hertz Presidents Circle
Originally Posted by HNL
With the new and expanded TBIT the new reality is AA will now clear immigration and customs at TBIT. As more gates open less of that will involve busing.
How will this work? Will AA international arriving aircraft still park at T4 and pax will walk to TBIT CBP? Will there be moving walkways? I guess that would be somewhat of an improvement over the TBIT busses, but still awful compared to doing CBP in T4.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.