Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Booked Award Flight EXCHANGED?

Search this Thread

Old Jun 21, 2015, 8:57 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AA 1.2MM BIS 'LT' Gld, BA Bronze, AA Plat, now considering SWA.....
Thumbs down Booked Award Flight EXCHANGED?

I booked an award flight for November with a departure @8:30 AM nonstop...there and back...
Just received an 'EXCHANGE' booking that has me leaving @5:00 AM and routes me thru DFW...both departing and return from a previous simple Non Stop there and back..to a four segment TOUR....
AA has degenerated to the lowest form of customer 'service'....
ON HOLD NOW FOR 30 minutes.....normal 'phone recognition' doesn't seem to work anymore....wait until tomorrow to 'speak' to CS....
I AM PLAIN SICK OF THIS EXCUSE OF AN AIRLINE !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!.
Old Jun 21, 2015, 9:06 pm

Programs: AA LT PLT; HH Diamond; AS 75K
This was a rant rather than a question? Just wanted to make sure in case you wanted some help. I've been frustrated from schedule changes but waiting a day for a flight in November will give you some time to explore options to suggest when you call tomorrow.
Old Jun 21, 2015, 9:09 pm

Programs: LH HON
5 1/2 months out and you're losing it?
Old Jun 21, 2015, 9:14 pm
In Memoriam, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Alaska MVP Gold 75K, AA 3.8MM, UA 1.1MM, enjoying the retired life
Originally Posted by aafreq
I booked an award flight for November with a departure @8:30 AM nonstop...there and back...
As you haven't listed the routing, I wouldn't expect much help here. Is it possible the nonstop was canceled and the computer just assigned you an alternate routing? Easily fixed if that's the case. Call and tell them what flights you'd prefer.
Old Jun 21, 2015, 9:15 pm
Senior Moderator and Moderator: American AAdvantage & TravelBuzz

Programs: AA EXP, Marriott Titanium
Can't quite tell exactly what your situation is... Did you get rebooked because of a schedule change to your original flights? Or has AA discontinued the route? (As mentioned above, are you looking for help re: what your options are or are you just venting?)

As for phone issues:
- There are been a lot of weather issues across the US the past week, which has impacted AA (and other airlines') wait times. http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/ameri...un-2015-a.html
- And yes, most people agree with you that the new phone system is terrible. If you feel inclined, do let AA know how awful it is...maybe if enough people continue to complain, they'll do something soon. http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/ameri...15-consol.html
Old Jun 21, 2015, 9:53 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Jumbo mas
http://www.bing.com/videos/watch/vid...pers/17wh09bmz

Last edited by JY1024; Jun 22, 2015 at 7:18 am Reason: removed img tags for video link
Old Jun 21, 2015, 10:18 pm

Programs: MR LTT, BA Gold, AA LTP, UA Silver
Same thing happened to me. Just received email showing my September AA/CX IAD-LAX-HKG F award changed by AA due to non-stop IAD-LAX AA flights being axed and replaced with US non-stop IAD-LAX flights. Even though there are F award seats on the non-stop US IAD-LAX flights and also the non-stop AA DCA-LAX flights they routed me on AA through DFW (IAD-DFW-LAX-HKG) which arrives 4 hours earlier into LAX. The non-stops from IAD and DCA both arrive into LAX within an hour of my original itinerary. Still need to call AA, but currently in the middle of Baltic Sea and won't have semi-affordable mobile service for another few hours. PITA, but shouldn't have issues changing it to something similar to what I had before. Not happy with AA's automated rebooking system.
Old Jun 21, 2015, 10:25 pm
Original Poster

Thanks for the interest provided for my post.
To elaborate further, I just received a 'call back' from AA after provided a request for one...
The phone rang...then I was placed ' on hold' then sounded like a pickup and.....Line went DEAD......do I need to rant without reason ????
Now, the route is ORD > SJD which I do several times a year....AA # 1087 non stop ,not a 'seasonal' only flight...
Since I reside 100 miles from ORD, will this chintzy airline pay for my hotel room necessary for a INTERNATIONAL flight ????? I think not....
The lesson here is....BURN YOUR MILES !!! as a BIS MM with 500K I will dump as much as I can before the coming devaluations brought on by not only CC miles but by an airline bent on treating PAX like cattle, not only the 'kettles' but also elites.
Let's 'see' what CS does maņana....bet not much....
Old Jun 22, 2015, 12:58 am

Programs: AA EXP, 2MM, HH Diamond
Is 1087 bookable on the day you are flying? Looks like it isn't available on certain days, I wonder if that's a recent change.
Old Jun 22, 2015, 4:04 am

Programs: AA LT PLT 3MM, Hilton/Marriott/SPG/Club Carlson GLD, IHG PLT
I just noticed some schedule changes for 2 MR that I had planned for JAN 2016. ORD-SFO same day turn. The early am flight for ord is no longer available and now I'm arriving 3hrs after the departure of my return flight. I will call later to change the flight after I pick alternatives routing to maximize my mileague. Flight is in January, no rush in my part.

Agree with OP that phone system sucks, make sure you mention it to the CS agent. The more we complain, the more we are heard. In the end, vote with your wallet.
Old Jun 22, 2015, 7:18 am

Programs: AA EXP, UA Plat
To elaborate further, I just received a 'call back' from AA after provided a request for one...
The phone rang...then I was placed ' on hold' then sounded like a pickup and.....Line went DEAD......do I need to rant without reason ????
Now, the route is ORD > SJD which I do several times a year....AA # 1087 non stop ,not a 'seasonal' only flight...
Since I reside 100 miles from ORD, will this chintzy airline pay for my hotel room necessary for a INTERNATIONAL flight ????? I think not....
The lesson here is....BURN YOUR MILES !!! as a BIS MM with 500K I will dump as much as I can before the coming devaluations brought on by not only CC miles but by an airline bent on treating PAX like cattle, not only the 'kettles' but also elites.
Good luck on UA. I'm sure you fill find that they treat passengers much better.
Or maybe as you suggest in your profile, you can switch to WN...who does not offer nonstops from CHI to SJD.
Old Jun 22, 2015, 7:28 am
Suspended

Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
1. As to the OP, before the rant, why not spend the time to determine the reason for the change and then figure out what you want. If you figure out what you want and are prepared to tell the agent the dates/flights, you are more than likely to be accommodated, even if AA has to force award space to do it. Flight changes are routine and your travel isn't for 5-1/2 months. Expect more. But, also bear in mind that auto-reroutes are simply there because you are therefore assured that you have some travel in place. If they don't suit, just ask for what you want and AA will likely accommodate.

Will AA pay for a hotel? No, not likely. No reason it should. Your options here are to: 1) accept what AA has auto-rebooked; 2) propose something else; or 3) cancel for a full refund.

2. arollins - Same thing. Figure out what you want first and then call AA.
Old Jun 22, 2015, 10:31 am
Moderator: American AAdvantage

Programs: AA LT Plat; HH LT Diamond, Maître-plongeur des Muccis
Er, just how is it you can be a "BIS MM", please? The "all miles sources" ended 30 Nov 2011; you may have a challenge convincing us you have flown 1 million miles since that time. Invoking a "DYKWIA clause" is likely to not help you here, or with AA.

Flights get changed - on probably every airline. Your flight will be recoded to AA by October 2015. There is a distinct possibility you will experience other changes before your flight date. There's little need to get worked up about this (or other changes you'll encounter).

And please list those "not chintzy" airlines that will pay for your lodging in a similar situation?

Often1 has provided good advice.
Old Jun 22, 2015, 10:31 am
Original Poster

Thanks for your thoughtful replies.
I called @ 9:30 AM...I know it's Monday....
Still waiting for a call back @ 11:20..
I wish AA would list a dedicated line direct to
Customer Service instead of going through this
Torture just to reach reservations...which will
Then place me on hold for CS.............
Yes SWA was an old favorite and first saw their
Attractive colors after hurricane Odile, so yes at
Fares that Save me $200 to $259 over AA, for that degree
Of savings I can 'handle ' a stop over...
Guess what, AA just called and I got thru to CS..
Only to be told that reservations .....handle this situation...
I M now ON HOLD for ELEVEN MINUTES MORE.
I feel another JUSTIFIED RANT coming on, like indigestion following
A bad meal...
Old Jun 22, 2015, 10:39 am
Original Poster

Jdiver nice to hear from you again...
r, just how is it you can be a "BIS MM", please? The "all miles sources" ended 30 Nov 2011; you may have a challenge convincing us you have flown 1 million miles since that time. Invoking a "DYKWIA clause" is likely to not help you here, or with AA.

I attained MM 'lifetime' gold back in 2008....I believe you were around back then as well..
And yes, back then before the CC promotions, I did with MY BUTT IN SEAT....
To whom ever quoted UA sad to say AA has reached their 'undistinguished' level...

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.