Community
Wiki Posts
Search

How long are the Dreamliners flying between ORD and DFW?

Search this Thread

Old May 27, 2015, 11:07 am
int
Original Poster

Just curious if anyone knew for certain. I looked up flights all the way to December 2015 and it showed 788 flights doing DFW-ORD and back, but is it likely they will they will equipment change? (Perhaps they haven't updated the schedule till that far)

Thanks
Old May 27, 2015, 11:24 am

Programs: AA ExPlt, UA Gold, HH Diamond
I believe it will likely be that way for a while just like it used to be with the 777. As of now, they only have one international route announced from ORD (ORD-NRT). With no other NRT flights yet slated to be 787, they will likely keep ORD-DFW so they can route various A/C to ORD for the NRT flight.
Old May 27, 2015, 1:58 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by 777Pax
I believe it will likely be that way for a while just like it used to be with the 777. As of now, they only have one international route announced from ORD (ORD-NRT). With no other NRT flights yet slated to be 787, they will likely keep ORD-DFW so they can route various A/C to ORD for the NRT flight.
I agree. My guess is that DFW-ORD-DFW sees a daily 787 for quite a long time, especially in the early years of service. No need to park a spare 787 in both ORD and DFW when one spare can be flown back and forth. That way, the spare produces revenue, provides a scheduled means of rotating planes in and out of ORD and backs up the departures in both cities in case a plane breaks. On top of that, there are still more pilots who need to build time in the 787.

For years, there was a scheduled DC-10 between DFW and ORD, and I believe it was replaced by an MD-11. In 1999, the 777 began flying a daily round trip between DFW and ORD, which was canceled a few years back. Sometimes, a scheduled widebody makes sense on a relatively short domestic route - like DFW-ORD - which has long enjoyed shuttle-like frequency. This is one of those situations. Not unlike the 777s and 763s between MIA and DFW (for all of the reasons above except pilots needing to log hours in those planes - that's not necessary).
Old May 27, 2015, 4:38 pm
Moderator: American AAdvantage

Programs: AA LT Plat; HH LT Diamond, Maître-plongeur des Muccis
DFW-ORD is also a great orientation/ training route, not too long.

Iirc, I was on a DFW-ORD on a MD-a lemon.
Old May 27, 2015, 5:02 pm

Programs: AA EXP
Originally Posted by int
The answer, of course, is about 186 ft / 56.7 m.

Thank you, I'm here all night.
Old May 27, 2015, 7:53 pm

Programs: DL Diamond, AA revenue negative, Bonvoy Titanium +, Avis likes me
Originally Posted by rjw242

OH! I get it!

Sarcasm!
Old May 27, 2015, 8:57 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: MR/SPG LT Titanium, AA LT PLT, UA SLV, Avis PreferredPlus
The answer, of course, is about 186 ft / 56.7m.
Same as downtown....

(Beat me to it. But saved me from looking it up.)
Old May 27, 2015, 11:31 pm
int
Original Poster

Thanks everyone. It makes sense they would continue to fly it to get more hours on the plane. I noticed looking past this summer, the 788 frequencies are reduced between the two hubs. But still, better than not having a 788 I guess

Also nice one, rjw242!
Old May 28, 2015, 9:58 am
Moderator: American AAdvantage

Programs: AA LT Plat; HH LT Diamond, Maître-plongeur des Muccis

I hear Letterman's show might be available...

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.