Community
Wiki Posts
Search

JFK AAgent calls me an idiot, colleague refuses to ticket me

Search this Thread

Old May 3, 2015, 2:29 pm

Programs: AA LifeTime PLT (2.982 MM, But 3MM+ Total), HHonors GOLD, IHG AMB
Originally Posted by saaveraward
Because I had every right to be put on the first flight by AA's policy. I had every right to buy a new ticket as a member of the public.
You're mistaken. You don't have the "right". Safe flying.
Old May 3, 2015, 2:53 pm
Suspended

Because I had every right to be put on the first flight by AA's policy. I had every right to buy a new ticket as a member of the public. You are incorrect Spock Seat.

I don't need status to be treated like a decent human being and have AA's policies followed.

As I said in my original post, my first response was clearly joking to her in tone. If you were there I think you'd agree, but you can only go by my side of the story.
You already stated that at the time all of this was taking place, you had no idea of what AAs policy was in fact.

Everybody should be treated like a decent human being and that includes the 1st 2 agents you dealt with. From all your posts I got the sense you were riding up high on your horse with a bit of a DYKWIA attitude thrown in

from what and how you have posted I got the sense that you felt you had a Right to get on the earlier flight and how dare they say No to me, yet you also said it wasnt till after everything that you were able to actually check and see what you should have been able to do. At the time it was pure guess work on your part and it doesnt make a difference if at the end you were correct or not, since at the time you really had no idea. To you it was common sense,hey I didnt expect to beable to show up when I did and since I was able to in the end AA should accomadate me.

Numerous times Ive flown LAX-SFO-JFK where my booked flight resulted in a very long layover @ SFO even thou there would be an earlier flight I could catch (alot of times due to ATC wed sit at LAX and by the time the flight would be released it would result in a misconnect for the earlier SFO-JFK flight).Anyways sometimes the agent will be nice and tkt my bag/s for that earlier flight just in case I can get on SBY, other times they refuse to. Even if I can get on it at least my bags will so when I get to JFK they are there waiting for me instead of having to waste another 1/2 hr+ for them to come out. Im batting 75% and happy it isnt less that that
Old May 3, 2015, 3:04 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by craz
You already stated that at the time all of this was taking place, you had no idea of what AAs policy was in fact.
On the falsly-given baggage cutoff yes. Not on the SDC issue.

My upset grew after I got the rules later.

I had to google DYKWIA
Old May 3, 2015, 3:48 pm

Originally Posted by Spock Seat
Then why didn't you just take the original flight you were booked with and be done with it....like everyone else does and not demand your insistence to the AAgent (which was antagonistic by you because she said "no", and she was right with only 1 hour + bags, TSA security lines, etc.).
AA lets people check in with bags 45 minutes in advance at JFK. I don't know why you feel your judgment or that of the agent should take precedence over the published check-in cutoff.
Old May 3, 2015, 3:52 pm
nrr
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA platinum; 2MM AA, Delta Diamond, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by Spock Seat
You're mistaken. You don't have the "right". Safe flying.
Taking checked luggage out of the picture, if AA is (still) selling DOMESTIC tickets, doesn't everyone have the right to buy one? [Or is there some semantic issue that I don't understand.]

What is the cutoff time for purchasing tickets on aa.com (or AC)--could OP have utilized either of these?
Old May 3, 2015, 4:01 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Originally Posted by nrr
Taking checked luggage out of the picture, if AA is (still) selling DOMESTIC tickets, doesn't everyone have the right to buy one? [Or is there some semantic issue that I don't understand.]
The semantic point, I believe, is that no one has any right to buy a ticket on AA. AA can choose whether or not to sell a ticket to any person
Old May 3, 2015, 4:04 pm

Programs: AA EXP
Originally Posted by Dave Noble
The semantic point, I believe, is that no one has any right to buy a ticket on AA. AA can choose whether or not to sell a ticket to any person
Not true. As a common carrier, AA cannot refuse to sell a ticket to someone without a compelling reason.
Old May 3, 2015, 4:12 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by nrr

What is the cutoff time for purchasing tickets on aa.com (or AC)--could OP have utilized either of these?
In retrospect, yes, I could have utilized aa.com. I tested it with this flight in the following days.

Just as an aside to the story, when I got to the gate at LGA there was someone in hysterics bawling and screaming at an AAgent. From what I could make out, they sat at the wrong gate and missed their flight. So yes, I do have sympathy for front line people who have to deal with the good and the bad of the public every day. My home airport AAgents rock.

Last edited by saaveraward; May 3, 2015 at 4:32 pm
Old May 3, 2015, 4:13 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by nrr

when checking flights for SBYing later in the day,Ive noticed that flights that are at least T-60 arent shown even if they have empty seats.

Now I have no idea if that same time period applys to a person simply walking up at an airport, or it depends if there are bags being checked T-45 or no bags at all so its then a judgement call as to if the transaction can be completed and the person make it to the gate within the min period of time to show up.
Old May 3, 2015, 4:31 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Originally Posted by rjw242
Not true. As a common carrier, AA cannot refuse to sell a ticket to someone without a compelling reason.
My understanding is that airlines , even in the USA, are not obligated to take pasengers in the same way that public carriers such as buses may be
Old May 3, 2015, 4:36 pm
Moderator: American AAdvantage

Programs: AA LT Plat; HH LT Diamond, Maître-plongeur des Muccis
In retrospect, yes, I could have utilized aa.com. I tested it with this flight in the following days.

Just as an aside to the story, when I got to the gate at LGA there was someone in hysterics bawling and screaming at an AAgent. From what I could make out, they sat at the wrong gate and missed their flight. So yes, I do have sympathy for front line people who have to deal with the good and the bad of the public every day. My home airport AAgents rock.
We had a bawling screaming "OMG, I missed my flight!" At JFK a few days ago. I winer if they realize the itinerant criers of old?

I'm not yet convinced T-60 didn't apply to an international itinerary.
Old May 3, 2015, 4:36 pm

Programs: BA Gold(OWE), QF LTG, MR Plat, IHG Spire, Hertz PC
It's worth mentioning that at JFK the minimum connection time between international and domestic is 1hr 15min.
Old May 3, 2015, 4:39 pm
nrr
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA platinum; 2MM AA, Delta Diamond, Hilton Diamond

At JFK T8 and LAS (most airlines) page "lost" passengers on the PA systems [I assume LGA is similar]--they should have heard their names being paged.
Old May 3, 2015, 5:06 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by JDiver
We had a bawling screaming "OMG, I missed my flight!" At JFK a few days ago. I winer if they realize the itinerant criers of old?

Sure, I understand what you're saying, but I was willing to buy a new ticket as a "new" customer.... single domestic leg and was denied.
Old May 3, 2015, 5:16 pm

Programs: BA Gold(OWE), QF LTG, MR Plat, IHG Spire, Hertz PC
Originally Posted by JDiver

See below.

Originally Posted by Traveloguy
It's worth mentioning that at JFK the minimum connection time between international and domestic is 1hr 15min.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.