Community
Wiki Posts
Search

JFK AAgent calls me an idiot, colleague refuses to ticket me

Search this Thread

Old May 2, 2015, 3:16 pm
Original Poster

I am posting the facts related to this incident as well the follow up from AA customer relations.

I held an international first class saaver award ticket. I arrived JFK from my international destination, cleared immigration, took the airtrain to terminal 8 and presented myself to the priority desk as instructed.

I asked to be placed on a flight leaving in one hour and three minutes to my final destination (earlier flight than ticketed). It was confirmed there was space available on the plane.

The agent refused to ticket me for that flight saying award travel could not be re-ticketed because no saaver space was available.

Policy clearly states I can pay $75 and be issued a ticket for the flight at worst case. I have no idea if saaver really was available or not which would have been free.

Not willing to argue, I put down my credit card and said charge me for a full fare ticket and I'll take it up with American later. She then refused to sell me a ticket telling me I had missed the "one hour checked baggage cutoff." The policy at JFK is clearly 45 minutes in writing and confirmed to me by the Advantage desk.

So she made up two policies so that I would not be able to fly.

Why did she take this stance?

Because during this interaction, a second agent came up to the counter next to us, interjected herself, and the following exchange occurred verbatim:

agent: What's in the box? (an eight pound box is on the scale to be checked)
me: chocolate
agent: You can't check that, you'll have to leave it.
me: (silence)
agent: That was a joke.
me: (clearly joking) That's the least funny thing I've heard all day.
agent: What's your problem?
me: I just got off a 16 hour flight and I'm rushing to try and get a connection.
agent: (sarcastically) Oh so you're cranky and don't have a sense of humor.
me: I'm not cranky and I do have a sense of humor. I didn't think it was funny.
agent: You're an idiot.
me: Did you just call me an idiot?
agent: Yeah, you're an idiot (walks away)
first agent who refused to let me fly: That was uncalled for. You didn't have to have an attitude with her.
me: She called me an idiot.
first agent: That doesn't matter. You don't need to be rude.

So the first agent, who made up two policies that don't exist said if I want to fly earlier than ticketed I'd have to go to LGA if she could get space on a flight. Now out of options, I said fine.

All of as sudden, she could magically charge me $75 for the flight change, which she did. Funny how she couldn't do that on the JFK flight.

She also said they'd charge me at LGA for checked baggage. This was her third error. I'm still on a first class award.

So I paid the $75, another $50 for the cab to LGA, a hefty tip to the LGA porter who checked the two bags for free, cold water I could have gotten for free in the FL.

Then the LGA flight went mechanical with no A/C on board (happens, I know) and because it pushed nearly an hour late, we got caught circling for another hour due to weather. Meanwhile, most the chocolates, a mother's day gift, were ruined at LGA after being fine for 8,000+ miles.

I spent 33 minutes on the phone with customer relations and within an hour (clearly not enough time to investigate or talk to anyone) their resolution was as follows: Upon further review, we find the policies of checking in times, policies related to voluntary changes to the ticket and fees charged are correct. Regrettably, we are unable to honor your request for any compensation. (The e-mail is much longer with an apology)

I did not demand anything specific with customer relations but told them if we do not come to an accommodation, I will file complaints with the DOT, BBB and use forums such as this to tell my story. I said in advance I would decline an offer of miles or a travel credit because I incurred real expenses transiting airports. As you see above, they offered nothing. Not even a "We know you're not happy, but we hope XXX as a goodwill gesture will help."

On the phone, customer relations repeatedly said it was "my choice" to try and fly earlier and it was "my choice" to go to LGA. So apparently the refusal of the JFK employee to re-issue or even sell me a ticket or check me in that precipitated my next actions was my fault as well.

At no time at JFK did I raise my voice, gesture, act in an unprofessional manner or do anything that would provoke verbal abuse from this employee and the refusal of another to follow AA policy. I simply wanted to get home.

AA is my favorite carrier. I will continue to fly AA. 99.9% of the front line personnel are fantastic. I've always had meaningful, thoughtful service from check-in, to gate agents to anyone who answers the phone.

I really hope someone from upper management reads this and responds, especially to someone who actually ENJOYS flying you. I don't feel an "I'm sorry" e-mail cuts it in this instance.

I also value the FT community and would like to know what you feel is appropriate in this matter?
Old May 2, 2015, 3:39 pm
nrr
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA platinum; 2MM AA, Delta Diamond, Hilton Diamond
You wanted to go on a flt. departing in i hour; how/much later was your scheduled flt.?
Old May 2, 2015, 3:47 pm
Original Poster

6 hours later
Old May 2, 2015, 3:55 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

IIf I recall correctly, Same day standby is not an entitlement for international joueneys ; to make a change requires that there be award availability which would mean that The agent was quite correct that it required tebooking as a saver award
Old May 2, 2015, 3:58 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Dave Noble
Same day standby is not an entitlement for international joueneys ; to make a change requires that there be award availability

The agent was quite correct that it required tebooking as a saver award and you were incorrect in the policy of same day standby I believe
This was a domestic AA segment.

Passengers traveling on AAdvantage MileSAAver awards continue to have the flexibility to change the date/time of their flights at no charge, provided award seats are available on the desired flight. If award seats are not available on the desired flight, you may obtain a confirmed seat on the same day by paying the $75 charge.

In addition, I said I would outright PAY for a new ticket and was refused due to a made up baggage cutoff.
Old May 2, 2015, 3:59 pm

Programs: UA 1MM, AA1MM PLTPRO, Hertz PC, National EXC, Hyatt Explorist, Hilton/Marriott Gold, IHG Platinum
I have mixed feelings here. I'll take your word as to the policies as you state them, as we all know front-line agents often make up policies to suit their needs. Also, the behAAvior of the employees should not be accepted or tolerated. Calling any customer an idiot, let alone one traveling in First Class, should not be tolerated.

However, as a decent human being, you should have played along with the "joke" the AAgent was trying to play (i.e. develop a sense of humor). You specifically stated that you didn't want any compensation, so that is why none was provided. AA (or any domestic airline) rarely offer CASH as compensation, IME.

Still, sounds like a rough day of travel.
Old May 2, 2015, 4:01 pm

Programs: AAdvantage Platinum
Originally Posted by saaveraward
I really hope someone from upper management reads this and responds, especially to someone who actually ENJOYS flying you.
That I know, there's no official AA presence on FT. They may lurk, but there's no one who replies here to complaints such as these.
Old May 2, 2015, 4:02 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Passengers traveling on AAdvantage MileSAAver awards continue to have the flexibility to change the date/time of their flights at no charge, provided award seats are available on the desired flight. If award seats are not available on the desired flight, you may obtain a confirmed seat on the same day by paying the $75 charge.

In addition, I said I would outright PAY for a new ticket and was refused due to a made up baggage cutoff.
My recollection is that the same rule applies to the domestic segment on an international trip
Old May 2, 2015, 4:04 pm
Suspended

Programs: UA 1K, AA EXP; Owner, Green Bay Packers
There are no grounds for a DOT complaint that I see.

Glad you made it home ok.

Last edited by Doc Savage; May 2, 2015 at 4:10 pm
Old May 2, 2015, 4:21 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by UAPremierGuy
However, as a decent human being, you should have played along with the "joke" the AAgent was trying to play (i.e. develop a sense of humor). You specifically stated that you didn't want any compensation, so that is why none was provided. AA (or any domestic airline) rarely offer CASH as compensation, IME.

Still, sounds like a rough day of travel.
I didn't know it was a joke. I had immigration and customs in three countries ask me "what's in the box." So I took her at her word that for some reason it couldn't fly. She wouldn't have known that, but that's still not my problem.

I said miles and a voucher were not acceptable but we should come to some accommodation.

How about a signed written apology from the station manager for starters?
Old May 2, 2015, 4:21 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Doc Savage
There are no grounds for a DOT complaint that I see.

Glad you made it home ok.
Thanks for the good wishes and thanks for the info.
Old May 2, 2015, 4:22 pm

Programs: AA - EXP 2MM+, Marriott PLT, UA, National Exec

I don't believe baggage cutoff is make believe. UA and DL have the same 45 minute cutoff for checked bags at JFK.

My understanding is that baggage cutoff time is driven by the TSA baggage screening program.

One option might have been to re-check your bag after customs, then run to T8 and try to change your flight time. You might have made the "cutoff"

Cheers.
Old May 2, 2015, 4:24 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Dave Noble
My recollection is that the same rule applies to the domestic segment on an international trip
I've had multiples at AA verify the flight I wanted was easily available with a couple keystrokes and a $75 charge.

Available to process out of LGA but not JFK? I don't think so.
Old May 2, 2015, 4:27 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by msv777
I don't believe baggage cutoff is make believe. UA and DL have the same 45 minute cutoff for checked bags at JFK.

My understanding is that baggage cutoff time is driven by the TSA baggage screening program.

One option might have been to re-check your bag after customs, then run to T8 and try to change your flight time. You might have made the "cutoff"

Cheers.
Yes, baggage cutoff is a hard and fast rule.

Except she insisted it's 60 minutes, not 45. This "rule" suddenly appeared only AFTER I said I'd purchase a full fare ticket. I was there with bags in hand T-63.

This person did everything they could to stick up for their fellow employee and ensure I would not travel on that flight.
Old May 2, 2015, 4:35 pm

Programs: AA - EXP 2MM+, Marriott PLT, UA, National Exec
T-63 is awful close... I do think it's 45 though set by TSA.

Good luck with your complaint. Glad you made it home, finally.

Cheers.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.