Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Award flight booked for J on JAL, but want to upgrade to F

Search this Thread

Old Apr 8, 2015, 11:01 am
Original Poster

Award flight booked for J on JAL, but want to upgrade to F

A few weeks ago, I booked a couple J seats on JAL from HND-SFO, then AA business/first from SFO-LAX for early July. I wanted F, but no seats were available. However, I can see that within 1-2 weeks of a departure date, more premium reward seats are released. Unfortunately, I leave the US a little over 2 weeks prior to my flight, and won't have phone access to call AA. I will, however, have internet from hotel wifi. What are my options here in upgrading the flights to F from abroad when seats are available? I know United MP has that trick for being waitlisted for premium seats on United metal; does AA have anything similar for OW flights?

Also, in case HND-SFO-LAX doesn't open up in F, but NRT-LAX does, will AA charge me a cancellation/redeposit fee for changing to that? NRT is obviously a different airport, but it's the same city.
Old Apr 8, 2015, 11:08 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Lifetime Gold
Wirelessly posted (BlackBerry: BlackBerry8530/5.0.0.1030 Profile/MIDP-2.1 Configuration/CLDC-1.1 VendorID/417)

You're going to a place that has Internet access but no phone service? AA has Reservations Department phone numbers in many different countries. Ask your hotel about availability of pay phones, etc.

Changing the departure airport on an award triggers the change fee, even if both airports are co-terminals.
Old Apr 8, 2015, 11:10 am

Programs: AA PLT
Are you bringing your phone? Using Skype or Google Voice over the hotel's wifi using your phone (or your computer) seems like the simplest solution. I snagged 2 JL F seats recently on ORD-NRT when they were released at exactly 14 days out, but calling was the only way I was aware of to get them.

I have no idea on the co-terminal question. You may get a sympathetic agent who can use the upfaring waiver to change the airport for you, but I wouldn't count on it.
Old Apr 8, 2015, 11:10 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by guv1976
Wirelessly posted (BlackBerry: BlackBerry8530/5.0.0.1030 Profile/MIDP-2.1 Configuration/CLDC-1.1 VendorID/417)

You're going to a place that has Internet access but no phone service? AA has Reservations Department phone numbers in many different countries. Ask your hotel about availability of pay phones, etc.

Changing the departure airport on an award triggers the change fee, even if both airports are co-terminals.
Well, there are phones, but I imagine the cost to be prohibitive given the wait times I've endured in the past.

Any chance they'll waive to change fee?
Old Apr 8, 2015, 11:13 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by linglingfool
Are you bringing your phone? Using Skype or Google Voice over the hotel's wifi using your phone (or your computer) seems like the simplest solution. I snagged 2 JL F seats recently on ORD-NRT when they were released at exactly 14 days out, but calling was the only way I was aware of to get them.
I'm not the most tech-savvy person. I typically use Apple Facetime to communicate with family members, but I do have an Android device. Can Skype and Google Voice be used to make regular phone calls?
Old Apr 8, 2015, 11:17 am

Programs: AA PLT
Originally Posted by DaveInLA
I'm not the most tech-savvy person. I typically use Apple Facetime to communicate with family members, but I do have an Android device. Can Skype and Google Voice be used to make regular phone calls?
Yes, they can be used to make regular calls. Download Skype from the App Store and register for an account. There is a dial pad icon at the bottom of the app that will let you make phone calls -- 800 numbers are free, and don't require that you buy any Skype credit.
Old Apr 8, 2015, 11:25 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

"Well, there are phones, but I imagine the cost to be prohibitive given the wait times I've endured in the past."

I've never been to Tokyo, but I would hope that calling a local Tokyo phone number from a Tokyo pay phone would not be super expensive, even if you were on hold for 15-20 minutes. And depending on where you are staying and whether you have elite status in the hotel's frequent-guest program, you might even be able to make local calls for free, if not from your room then from a lounge for frequent-guest elites.

There is always a chance you'll get a nice (or clueless) AA agent who won't charge the fee to change the departure airport from HND to NRT, but don't count on it.
Old Apr 8, 2015, 11:30 am

Programs: AA EP SPG Plat Hyatt Diamond IHG Plat Avis 1st Hertz 5* National Exec
I'm based out of the US and changed from J to F on the HND-SFO run in the middle of Amsterdam. Skype is your best bet, calling the AA US# was either free or something like 0.02 cents a minute. Even if you spend 2 hours on the phone with AA, that is only $2.40.

Just make sure the signal quality of the hotel wifi is pretty good, otherwise you could experience some dropped calls. I had to call in a couple of times on my spotty Wifi at the hotel.
Old Apr 8, 2015, 11:34 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

AA contact information from Japan:

https://www.americanairlines.jp/intl...merService.jsp

Note that AA apparently has a local office in Tokyo that might be able to make the change.
Old Apr 8, 2015, 8:51 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Any chance they'll waive to change fee?
They'll waive the change fee if you're only changing cabins. As others have mentioned, I wouldn't count on a waiver if you're changing from HND to NRT or vv, but surely it's worth $150 to change to F?
Old Apr 8, 2015, 8:59 pm

Programs: AA EXP; UA 1P
Skype calls toll-free numbers for free. I have used this from overseas to call airlines. Works great.
Old Apr 8, 2015, 9:12 pm
Suspended

...Also, in case HND-SFO-LAX doesn't open up in F, but NRT-LAX does, will AA charge me a cancellation/redeposit fee for changing to that?
Yes, charge applies for any change to origination airport.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.