Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Ouch! Fare jump!

Search this Thread

Old Mar 30, 2015, 6:41 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AA PPro, Mariott Gold Elite, Lowly kettle across every other loyalty program.
Ouch! Fare jump!

Last week STL-SJU went up by 150%, and the number of flight options went down. Absolute lowest price isn't the determining factor for me, but a $400 difference in coach is ridiculous.
Old Mar 30, 2015, 7:08 pm
Suspended

Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
I am guessing that you are simply hitting spring break. Fares haven't jumped radically, but availability of the cheaper fare buckets is low and what there is has been purchased.
Old Mar 30, 2015, 7:11 pm

Programs: UA PP (2MM), BA gold
That is why you grab good fares when they appear.
Old Mar 30, 2015, 7:37 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AA PPro, Mariott Gold Elite, Lowly kettle across every other loyalty program.
This is actually for December 18.
Old Mar 30, 2015, 7:39 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

You are looking at it way too early. 4 months is the earliest that leisure fares go down on anything but Thanksgiving or Christmas etc. breaks.

Set a Yapta alert and don't think about it until the mid-September "sales".
Old Mar 30, 2015, 8:11 pm

Programs: MR LTT, BA Gold, AA LTP, UA Silver
December 18 is the Friday before Christmas week. Don't hold your breath for a sale as that is end of week business travel coupled with peak leisure Christmas holiday travel. You may have already seen the low fares for that date. Perhaps others who have purchased for a similar Friday before Christmas week in previous years can shed light on their experience. Either way, good luck.

Just out of curiosity, when is the return date?
Old Mar 30, 2015, 8:14 pm
Moderator: American AAdvantage

Programs: AA LT Plat; HH LT Diamond, Maître-plongeur des Muccis
It doesn't sound like a fare increase, it sounds like others snagged the lower fare buckets available for a high demand season. To be sure, we'd have to know the bucket counts before vs. now, perhaps using a tool like ExpertFlyer.
Old Mar 30, 2015, 9:21 pm

Programs: AA EXP...couple hotels and cars too
Originally Posted by Often1
Fares haven't jumped radically, but availability of the cheaper fare buckets is low and what there is has been purchased.
Originally Posted by JDiver
, it sounds like others snagged the lower fare buckets available for a high demand season. .
Do also understand that AA can adjust inventory second to second.

While FARES must be 'published' and can be changed from time to time, the underlying INVENTORY of seats (ie L, Q, V, S, O) can be adjusted by a computer - up and down- whenever they want.

We tend to think "oh the cheap fares were snapped up, yesterday there were 3 and now it is 0", it could simply be AA revenue management playing with inventory. Maybe squeezing inventory on one section of your route will create more yield for AA on other routes? Or just cause people to jump.

(My travel agent is convinced that AA knows what he looks at and adjust inventory based on how many times he looks! )

AA1199 to AA395 has some L inventory on 12/18, but none of the flights have anything less than M. Ugly....
Old Mar 31, 2015, 7:58 am
Original Poster

After a little more investigating, it looks like it's my specific O/D pairing. Still cheap fares from hubs.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.