Community
Wiki Posts
Search

ARCHIVE: GIG / Rio de Janeiro Admirals Club & oneworld Lounges

Search this Thread

Old Oct 25, 2012, 9:23 pm

Programs: AA PLT, VS Gold, SPG Plat, Le Club Plat, Amex Plat
Originally Posted by sumier
We were scheduled to leave at 2130 and were delayed until 0500. They stayed open, kept the hot food and cool drinks coming all night. We were given large, thick blankets and slept quite well for a few hours. Great place to be stranded for a night!
Sounds like a much better experience. Did they know your flight would be delayed until 5 ahead of time -- or did they just decide to stay open until the flight departed? Just curious.
Old Oct 26, 2012, 6:35 pm

Programs: BA Gold
Update: it's 22:23 and we're all still here, happy as larry. Hot food is being refilled and we will be paged when it's time to board. Had a great shower after a hard day of sightseeing. Lounge staff are lovely. Only downside is that it's filled to capacity, but still miles better than bring outside.

In summary: good times.
Old Dec 13, 2012, 3:59 pm
LRD

Programs: AA Plat/6MM, Marriott Titanium, IHG Diamond
GIG Admirals Club Relocates to Terminal 2

I didn't see this posted... but then, I may have missed it.
In preparation for the 2016 Olympics, the Rio de Janeiro-Galeao Antonio Carlos Jobim International Airport (GIG) is preparing to refurbish Terminal 1. All international carriers have been asked by the GIG Airport to relocate to Terminal 2.

As part of the relocation, effective close of business December 17, 2012, the GIG Admirals Club lounge located in Terminal 1 will close. We will be building a new permanent Admirals Club in 2013. Until then, we welcome you in our temporary location at the GOL-SMILES VIP ROOM
Old Dec 17, 2012, 2:33 pm

GIG Admirals Club Relocates to Terminal 2
In preparation for the 2016 Olympics, the Rio de Janeiro-Galeao Antonio Carlos Jobim International Airport (GIG) is preparing to refurbish Terminal 1. All international carriers have been asked by the GIG Airport to relocate to Terminal 2.

Due to the busy holiday season, the closure of the GIG Admirals Club on December 17, 2012 and relocation to Terminal 2, as recently posted, has been postponed until January 2013. After the relocation, a temporary lounge will be available in Terminal 2 at the GOL-SMILES VIP ROOM. We plan to build a new permanent Admirals Club in 2013.
https://www.aa.com/i18n/travelInform...e=admiralsclub
Old Jan 7, 2013, 11:45 pm

New date for American's relocation has been announced: Thursday, January 10th.

Old Feb 1, 2013, 2:10 pm
Original Member

Programs: AA PLT, ICH Plat
Has anyone used the temp club?

Any updates?
Old Feb 2, 2013, 5:54 am

Programs: Marriott Titanium, AA Concierge Key, Delta, United, Emorates, and others
Originally Posted by alhcfp

Any updates?
I was there last night. It is located to your left as you enter the GOL Smiles lounge and is a distinct facility. With four Aa flights as well as others all leaving within a short window the temp club is CROWDED. Carnival is starting so it is worse now. They try valiantly to do a good job but it is too small and obviously temporary. That in context I think they have done very well.
Old Feb 2, 2013, 6:05 am

Programs: AA LT Platinum, Marriott Gold, SPG Gold, Hilton Gold

Any updates?
We were there in January and it was very crowded. We had to search for two seats together. Also, the food wasn't anything impressive.
Old Feb 2, 2013, 8:08 am
Original Member

Programs: AA PLT, ICH Plat
Originally Posted by juluca
We were there in January and it was very crowded. We had to search for two seats together. Also, the food wasn't anything impressive.
How to you get LESS Impressive then the old AC?

It had almost nothing???
Old Feb 2, 2013, 3:00 pm

How to you get LESS Impressive then the old AC?

It had almost nothing???
It's the Smiles lounge, which belongs to Gol, which inherited it from VARIG. It's a LCC running a lounge, so you get the picture.
Old Feb 2, 2013, 4:51 pm

Programs: AA EXP
I was there the second day it opened, jan 12th, i think they moved to terminal two on the 11th.

As everybody says, it was crowded and in kind of rough shape. The food options were about typical for south american AC's.

They do have showers which were in pretty good condition and even during the rush of evening AA flights going out had no line or waiting.
Old Feb 12, 2013, 4:04 pm

what are the hours for the temporary lounge? I haven't been able to find them on the gol or aa site, same as the old AC?
Old Feb 13, 2013, 8:17 am

Programs: Marriott Titanium, AA Concierge Key, Delta, United, Emorates, and others
Originally Posted by icon6669
what are the hours for the temporary lounge? I haven't been able to find them on the gol or aa site, same as the old AC?
AFAIK the hours are the same as they always were. However, I do not remember the posted hours in the new club
Old Feb 13, 2013, 5:30 pm

Programs: AA EXP, UA GLD, Bonvoy Titan, HH Dia, WoH Exp
What time does the AA check-in counter open at GIG - around 5pm?

Are there AA self check-in kiosks where you can print out your BPs if you want to access the AC lounge earlier than 5pm?
Old Feb 13, 2013, 7:32 pm

Originally Posted by Time traveller
What time does the AA check-in counter open at GIG - around 5pm?

Are there AA self check-in kiosks where you can print out your BPs if you want to access the AC lounge earlier than 5pm?
Don't know about counter hours.
There are kiosks, but when I checked-in around 8p in late December, there were lines for the kiosks...almost as long as for the counters. There were "helpers" at the kiosks taking people through step by step, so the lines didn't move quickly.

Also, ensure that the staff put a barcode sticker on the back of your BP. They forgot to give me one and I trudged all the way up to security and was turned-away.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.