FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   American Airlines | AAdvantage (Pre-Consolidation with USAir) (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/american-airlines-aadvantage-pre-consolidation-usair-445/)
-   -   ARCHIVE: Routes (Flights) and Hubs (Speculation, News and Discussion) (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/american-airlines-aadvantage-pre-consolidation-usair/1649529-archive-routes-flights-hubs-speculation-news-discussion.html)

Longboater Jun 30, 2015 10:50 am

Originally Posted by TWA884 (Post 25049092)
And the 332 is often subject to weight restrictions out of TLV.

Before the merger, the PHL-TLV flight was one of the most profitable in US's system. I'd say its more likely this is a future A350 flight than a reconfigured 77D.

perseus11 Jun 30, 2015 3:30 pm

Originally Posted by MAH4546 (Post 25047000)
Not with that big a J cabin.

Besides, AA has already made it publicly known that it is considering other routes from Tel Aviv. No need to add capacity to PHL, if it even survives (because moving it to JFK makes a ton of sense).

CARGO CARGO CARGO
"Considering" other routes to TLV, doesn't imply any intent to cancel PHL-TLV, which has long been one of US's most profitable routes. IMO, JFK centric AA has gone the way of the Dodo and MIA-TLV should have zero impact on PHL-TLV capacity considerations. Now if you can provide actual data that PHL-TLV "J" fares have been less than DL or LY JFK-TLV fares over the past 2 years, it might support your prediction.

MAH4546 Jun 30, 2015 4:19 pm

Originally Posted by perseus11 (Post 25050594)
CARGO CARGO CARGO
"Considering" other routes to TLV, doesn't imply any intent to cancel PHL-TLV, which has long been one of US's most profitable routes. IMO, JFK centric AA has gone the way of the Dodo and MIA-TLV should have zero impact on PHL-TLV capacity considerations. Now if you can provide actual data that PHL-TLV "J" fares have been less than DL or LY JFK-TLV fares over the past 2 years, it might support your prediction.

American Airlines is a passenger airline, not a cargo airline. Cargo does not support passenger routes despite theories otherwise.

Considering US Airways' had a super cheap cost structure, it could easily make PHLTLV work. And it probably worked really well for them, even though US Airways has the lowest fares between the U.S. and Israel.

NYCTLV is a 1,000,000+ annual O&D market and MIA-TLV is 120,000 plus. It makes sense to send two planes there than PHL, where the local market is 30,000, but that's only because it was stimulated by a non-stop (before a non-stop it was less than 5,000).

I don't think PHLTLV has much future left, but that's just my opinion. We will certainly see more shaking up of routes between PHL and JFK next year, as we did this year.

nova08 Jun 30, 2015 5:25 pm

Originally Posted by MAH4546 (Post 25050852)
American Airlines is a passenger airline, not a cargo airline. Cargo does not support passenger routes despite theories otherwise.

AA is not going to fly an empty plane or sell dirt cheap tickets just for the cargo, but cargo can supplement passenger revenue, otherwise why is AA investing in it's cargo unit?

American Airlines Group Inc. ’s cargo division this week opened a $5 million, 25,000-square foot temperature-controlled warehouse facility at Philadelphia International Airport. The company said the investment is in response to rising demand for transportation of complex pharmaceuticals.
WSJ

US Airways' daily flight from Tel Aviv, Israel, to Philadelphia often carries pharmaceuticals.
Philly.com

"Teva welcomes the availability of refrigerated facilities at the Philadelphia airport," said Mike Lally, senior director of North American Logistics. "This new facility provides users with increased convenience and ease of use for any products that require temperature control during the shipping process."
Philly.com
As with everything in the Pharma industry, Teva could be acquired in a few months and the entire suburban Philadelphia operation could be moved else where.

NYCTLV is a 1,000,000+ annual O&D market and MIA-TLV is 120,000 plus. It makes sense to send two planes there than PHL, where the local market is 30,000, but that's only because it was stimulated by a non-stop (before a non-stop it was less than 5,000).

I like how market stimulation is twisted to be a bad thing. I venture to guess that the ME3 and Asian airlines now flying to BOS have stimulated the market a bit. There's no doubt JFK can command a premium over PHL, but it's not like US sold PHL-TLV Y fares for $5 and J fares for $10. Yes, AA's new cost structure will be a bit of a hit to the cheap structure US was used to. AA has the data so time will tell if much of the PHL-TLV passenger base can be better served via only MIA and JFK.

We will certainly see more shaking up of routes between PHL and JFK next year, as we did this year.

Yes, we probably will see some changes, but I'd hardly call the one route switch this year much of a shake up.

ashill Jun 30, 2015 5:58 pm

Considering US Airways' had a super cheap cost structure, it could easily make PHLTLV work. And it probably worked really well for them, even though US Airways has the lowest fares between the U.S. and Israel.

I don't think PHLTLV has much future left, but that's just my opinion. We will certainly see more shaking up of routes between PHL and JFK next year, as we did this year.

The question is how much catchment is there that can be served one-stop more efficiently via PHL than via JFK? Add up all the cities with service into PHL without service to JFK (plus the fact that PHL has no slots and PHL gates are not a limited resource that could be used for local NYC traffic, so all else being equal routing passengers over PHL likely costs less), and that may well be considerable. Obviously no nonstop premium, but it appears that PHL-JFK is the only non-NYC flight to TLV by a US carrier (and El Al adds only BOS and LAX for USA-TLV service), so that's a lot of cities that AA/US can probably serve best over PHL. But I don't know the numbers, and I do suspect that USA-TLV is more concentrated in NYC than pretty much any other USA-XXX market.

Originally Posted by nova08 (Post 25051079)
AA is not going to fly an empty plane or sell dirt cheap tickets just for the cargo, but cargo can supplement passenger revenue, otherwise why is AA investing in it's cargo unit?

Of course, but cargo alone isn't going to make a route survive; if it would, AA would buy cargo planes and skip the self-loading cargo that takes up space.

I like how market stimulation is twisted to be a bad thing.
You're right, that logic was twisted. But the point stands (assuming MAH4546's numbers are correct) that MIA-TLV without a nonstop is four times larger than PHL-TLV with the market stimulation of a nonstop.

LeftsideWindow Jul 2, 2015 8:58 am

Does anyone know when the LAX-SYD route will (1) begin and (2) become bookable?

kop84 Jul 2, 2015 9:36 am

PHL TLV 5771 mi
MIA TLV 6603 mi

800+ miles shorter OW might be enough to keep PHL over MIA.

Colin Jul 2, 2015 10:24 am

The Dreamliner gets you places. Fly it @flyLAXairport to Shanghai beginning Oct. 5 & LAX to São Paulo from Nov. 5.

https://mobile.twitter.com/AmericanA...886016/photo/1

Longboater Jul 2, 2015 10:29 am

Originally Posted by Colin (Post 25059969)
The Dreamliner gets you places. Fly it @flyLAXairport to Shanghai beginning Oct. 5 & LAX to São Paulo from Nov. 5.

https://mobile.twitter.com/AmericanA...886016/photo/1

Neither surprise me. LAX-PVG has been begging for a Dreamliner, especially with Delta starting LAX-PVG a week from today. LAX-GRU was inevitably going to be downgraded. The 777 is just too big for the route.

Colin Jul 2, 2015 10:38 am

it's a clear upgrade for me in J, which I prefer over F due to pricing and AA old F meh.

Fanjet Jul 2, 2015 12:49 pm

Originally Posted by Longboater (Post 25059994)
Neither surprise me. LAX-PVG has been begging for a Dreamliner, especially with Delta starting LAX-PVG a week from today. LAX-GRU was inevitably going to be downgraded. The 777 is just too big for the route.

And it's really just a reduction in premium capacity. The Y count for the 787 is a few seats greater than the old 772 IIRC.

perseus11 Jul 2, 2015 2:10 pm

AA is not in the Cargo transporting business. Cargo is a positive supplement to passenger revenue and the PHL-TLV flight has significant pharmaceutical cargo contracts.

The thing that's twisted here is that the pre-mergerAA Fan boys cannot accept that PHL could retain the TLV flight on connecting traffic + Passenger/Cargo O&D, as a supplement to highly competitive TLV-JFK. Further, if MIA is such a gold mine for TLV flights, why hasn't EL AL resumed the service they canceled 6 years ago and re-established their now defunct code-share agreement with AA - instead they have chosen to code share with JB out of BOS.

I mean we're not talking CLT here, PHL has a Jewish population that is only exceeded by NYC, LAX, MIA, and SFO/ORD (both by small amounts). This debate can go on forever, but the telling will happen when JFK-TLV is added and (maybe) MIA-TLV ALONG with PHL-TLV by mid-late 2016. IMO, MIA-TLV year round is NOT anywhere near a certainty - if it happens at all.

Fanjet Jul 2, 2015 2:18 pm

Originally Posted by perseus11 (Post 25061092)
I mean we're not talking CLT here, PHL has a Jewish population that is only exceeded by NYC, LAX, MIA, and SFO/ORD (both by small amounts). This debate can go on forever, but the telling will happen when JFK-TLV is added and (maybe) MIA-TLV ALONG with PHL-TLV by mid-late 2016. IMO, MIA-TLV year round is NOT anywhere near a certainty - if it happens at all.

TLV is not just for Jewish travellers either. You will find that Christians, particularly Evangelicals, also visit Israel. Many from cities which will never have a nonstop flight to TLV; and will need to connect somewhere en route.

lowfareair Jul 2, 2015 2:32 pm

Originally Posted by perseus11 (Post 25061092)
AA is not in the Cargo transporting business. Cargo is a positive supplement to passenger revenue and the PHL-TLV flight has significant pharmaceutical cargo contracts.

The thing that's twisted here is that the pre-mergerAA Fan boys cannot accept that PHL could retain the TLV flight on connecting traffic + Passenger/Cargo O&D, as a supplement to highly competitive TLV-JFK. Further, if MIA is such a gold mine for TLV flights, why hasn't EL AL resumed the service they canceled 6 years ago, or at least re-established their now defunct code-share agreement with AA?

It wouldn't shock me to see PHL-TLV be the among the first cross-fleeted routes, getting upgauged to a 772, based on the cargo and fairly strong premium demand (more than the 20 seats on the 332 can really handle) on the route.

diver858 Jul 2, 2015 2:46 pm

There are also a good number of Israelis who do business, vacation in Central, South America. If flights are timed properly, MIA could become a desirable option for such connections. For MIA to work for LY, it would be necessary to work closely with AA to coordinate schedules.