FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   American Airlines | AAdvantage (Pre-Consolidation with USAir) (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/american-airlines-aadvantage-pre-consolidation-usair-445/)
-   -   ARCHIVE: Routes (Flights) and Hubs (Speculation, News and Discussion) (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/american-airlines-aadvantage-pre-consolidation-usair/1649529-archive-routes-flights-hubs-speculation-news-discussion.html)

TravellingSalesman Nov 3, 2014 11:23 am

Originally Posted by Cltfc (Post 23784409)
Both Phl-EDI and JFK-EDI are still bookable, I m not so sure PHL- EDi is gone just yet. AA has issued a press release regarding JFK-BHX but nothing on EDI

Welcoming OW back to BHX ^

MAH4546 Nov 3, 2014 11:33 am

Originally Posted by Cltfc (Post 23784409)
Both Phl-EDI and JFK-EDI are still bookable, I m not so sure PHL- EDi is gone just yet. AA has issued a press release regarding JFK-BHX but nothing on EDI

Unless something change in the last few hours (very well might have), JFKEDI is loaded, but you can't complete a booking.

Cltfc Nov 3, 2014 11:47 am

JFK-EDI prices in system, I took it as far as credit card detail and stopped but I did call AA and the customer service rep indicated that the flights were indeed bookable. Same with PHL-EDI, so not sure if they will pull Philly at a a later date or if they will try to operate both. Two flights seems like a lot of capacity for a small market like EDI

nova08 Nov 3, 2014 12:09 pm

Originally Posted by Cltfc (Post 23784847)
JFK-EDI prices in system, I took it as far as credit card detail and stopped but I did call AA and the customer service rep indicated that the flights were indeed bookable. Same with PHL-EDI, so not sure if they will pull Philly at a a later date or if they will try to operate both. Two flights seems like a lot of capacity for a small market like EDI

AA/US announced the AA side changes this past weekend. I suspect in the coming weeks we'll see a similar announcement with the US side changes, one of which will likely be the cancellation of PHL-EDI.

GNRMatt Nov 3, 2014 12:16 pm

Originally Posted by Cltfc (Post 23784847)
Two flights seems like a lot of capacity for a small market like EDI

Is it? Does anyone know the current loads of all USA -> EDI flights for the summer season?

From what I can tell, with the new route, there is now 1 daily flight from EWR, JFK, ORD & PHL. The only other flight is a once-weekly flight to Sanford, FL

So, of the 316 million people living in the US, is there enough interest to go to Scotland for that capacity (4 plane-loads) on a daily basis? I'd think, especially during summer, that there would be.

abeflyer Nov 3, 2014 12:40 pm

Originally Posted by GNRMatt (Post 23785039)
Is it? Does anyone know the current loads of all USA -> EDI flights for the summer season?

From what I can tell, with the new route, there is now 1 daily flight from EWR, JFK, ORD & PHL. The only other flight is a once-weekly flight to Sanford, FL

So, of the 316 million people living in the US, is there enough interest to go to Scotland for that capacity (4 plane-loads) on a daily basis? I'd think, especially during summer, that there would be.

And don't forget you still have the PHL-GLA flight. Last summer US flew both to EDI and GLA in Scotland. They are only 40 some miles apart. Both are still bookable. That would make six flights to Scotland next summer.

abeflyer Nov 3, 2014 12:59 pm

Originally Posted by abeflyer (Post 23785185)
And don't forget you still have the PHL-GLA flight. Last summer US flew both to EDI and GLA in Scotland. They are only 40 some miles apart. Both are still bookable. That would make six flights to Scotland next summer.

Sorry can't count. "Only" five to Scotland. :D Might make sense to keep PHL-EDI and consolidate at one airport and drop PHL-GLA.

LINDEGR Nov 3, 2014 1:13 pm

Agreed, EDI is of way more interest to tourists than GLA

GNRMatt Nov 3, 2014 2:03 pm

Also, to add, Scotland last year had ~379,200 Americans visit the country as tourists. That comes to an average of 1,038 American tourists per day. Now, the majority of these also go in the late spring to early fall, which is why the flights are seasonal. Considering that, I think a destination such Edinburgh AND Glasgow can support several flights a day in the season. I think even Aberdeen could probably support one or two TATL flights.

And this doesn't even take into account any business traffic that would also take these non-stop flights. As well as the Scottish tourists who want to come to America in the summer season (and there are plenty of those as Scotland is a very wealthy nation of 5.3 million people).

So, yes JFK-EDI and PHL-EDI and PHL-GLA can all co-exist in the summer season. I wouldn't even be surprised if one of the PHL-Scotland flights goes year round.

MAH4546 Nov 3, 2014 2:43 pm

Originally Posted by GNRMatt (Post 23785731)
So, yes JFK-EDI and PHL-EDI and PHL-GLA can all co-exist in the summer season. I wouldn't even be surprised if one of the PHL-Scotland flights goes year round.

It won't be PHLEDI going year-round, but if JFKEDI operates year-round I wouldn't be entirely shocked.

Cltfc Nov 3, 2014 3:07 pm

Originally Posted by MAH4546 (Post 23785914)
It won't be PHLEDI going year-round, but if JFKEDI operates year-round I wouldn't be entirely shocked.

I dont think either will go year round. PHL does not have enough O&D and JFK does not have enough connectivity to make it work

MAH4546 Nov 3, 2014 3:25 pm

Originally Posted by Cltfc (Post 23786052)
I dont think either will go year round. PHL does not have enough O&D and JFK does not have enough connectivity to make it work

PHLEDI is out, so it's of course not going year-round.

JFKEDI absolutely has enough connectivity to make it work. Just NYC, BOS, MIA, MCO, LAX, SFO, WAS, ORD and LAS is around 75% of U.S.-Scotland traffic. That's really great connectivity. And during the winter off season, all one really needs is MIA/MCO/LAS. That's where everybody is going.

ffay005 Nov 3, 2014 3:45 pm

Since flight numbers 130/131 have been assigned to the new BHX route, would this mean that the ORD-HEL seasonal will not return in 2015?

GNRMatt Nov 3, 2014 4:02 pm

Originally Posted by MAH4546 (Post 23786153)

Is this your pure speculation? Or do you have information mentioning this?

Myself, I prefer facts to be stated matter of factly like that. If it's your opinion, you should state such. I think most on here would appreciate differentiating between the two.

Cltfc Nov 3, 2014 5:10 pm

Originally Posted by MAH4546 (Post 23786153)

JFKEDI absolutely has enough connectivity to make it work. Just NYC, BOS, MIA, MCO, LAX, SFO, WAS, ORD and LAS is around 75% of U.S.-Scotland traffic. That's really great connectivity. And during the winter off season, all one really needs is MIA/MCO/LAS. That's where everybody is going.

I'm not so sure its gone, why didn't AA/US just pull it out of the schedules over the weekend as they did PHL/CLT-Fra... Based on that I think US/AA may operate both, Unless you are privy to some internal AA thinking.