Search

Serving of alcohol to under 21s?

Search this Thread

Old Jan 24, 2015, 12:29 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Silver, JJC (circa 1980)
Serving of alcohol to under 21s?

Will be flying LHR-LAX with AA in July.

One of my daughters is 19 (one year older than the UK limit for drinking alcohol). Will AA be prepared to serve her a beer or wine with dinner onboard, or do the US over 21 rules apply?
Old Jan 24, 2015, 12:39 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

AA's policy is not to serve those under 21
Old Jan 24, 2015, 3:09 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA, B6, DL, EK, EY, QR, SQ, UA, Amex Plat, Marriott Tit, HHonors Gold
Originally Posted by zafiragirl

One of my daughters is 19 (one year older than the UK limit for drinking alcohol). Will AA be prepared to serve her a beer or wine with dinner onboard, or do the US over 21 rules apply?
As stated above, policy is 21+. Now with that said, I'd still give it a shot as it could be seen as an honest mistake by a native of a country with different laws. There are plenty of crews who don't really care enough to bother carding people.
Old Jan 24, 2015, 3:12 pm
Suspended

Programs: UA 1K, AA EXP; Owner, Green Bay Packers
Cool

Originally Posted by zafiragirl

I'm sure she'll survive even if she can't drink on board.
You could always just order an extra "for yourself."
Old Jan 24, 2015, 3:31 pm

Programs: US-Plt;Concierge key; American AAirpass; Delta Silver;Starwood - Platinum; Amex Cent
Originally Posted by Doc Savage
I'm sure she'll survive even if she can't drink on board.
You could always just order an extra "for yourself."
I used to get wasted when I was in boarding school on RDU-LHR to visit my parents.....that was from 15years old to 18 - I was always in paid business or first, but the flight attendants knew me well and that I was in high school and never said no.
Old Jan 24, 2015, 3:36 pm
Suspended

Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
The law is enforced in the breach. Don't make a big deal of it and it probably won't even arise as an issue.
Old Jan 24, 2015, 3:36 pm

Originally Posted by Often1
The law is enforced in the breach. Don't make a big deal of it and it probably won't even arise as an issue.
It is not a law, it is a policy
Old Jan 24, 2015, 3:52 pm

Programs: DL PM
Originally Posted by Dave Noble
It is not a law, it is a policy
Yes, it is the law.
Old Jan 24, 2015, 4:29 pm

Originally Posted by TXguy
Yes, it is the law.
No, there is no international drinking age limit

There are State laws in the US regarding drinking, but they are inapplicable to an international flight
Old Jan 24, 2015, 4:45 pm
Original Poster

She's not bothered in the slightest about the possibility of not being served. I was simply curious as to the rules when the country of origin and the country of arrival have differing laws on the matter.

May have her ask just to see what happens. She actually looks older than her 22 year old sister (who is also travelling), so we may have a little experiment onboard to see what happens...
Old Jan 24, 2015, 5:04 pm

Is this in a premium cabin? If so, you should be fine. I flew 50+ segments in F/J before I was 21 and was only asked for my ID once.
Old Jan 24, 2015, 5:07 pm
Original Poster

Yes, five of us trying out the J cabin on the 77w for the first time
Old Jan 24, 2015, 5:47 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP 2MM, SK EBS
Originally Posted by Apieinthesky
Is this in a premium cabin? If so, you should be fine. I flew 50+ segments in F/J before I was 21 and was only asked for my ID once.
+1

Ironically, the single time I was ever carded on AA I was traveling to the states, this was my domestic connecting flight in F and was literally the last flight I'd take before 21, about a week prior.
Old Jan 24, 2015, 5:48 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP 3MM, Lifetime Platinum, Marriott Titanium, HH Gold
Do state laws concerning alcohol apply while an aircraft is flying over that state? Or only while on the ground in that state?

(for example, in Texas, state law does not permit alcohol service until noon on Sundays...does that mean PDBs cannot include sparkling wine on Sunday mornings?)
Old Jan 24, 2015, 5:59 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by ESpen36
Do state laws concerning alcohol apply while an aircraft is flying over that state? Or only while on the ground in that state?

(for example, in Texas, state law does not permit alcohol service until noon on Sundays...does that mean PDBs cannot include sparkling wine on Sunday mornings?)
Only on the ground. And yes, pre-departure beverages are supposed to follow the state laws on days/times that alcohol may be served.

Once in the air, the state law down on the ground doesn't matter.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.