Search

A flakey question, can we buy 25k miles

Search this Thread

Old Mar 13, 2004, 6:55 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: AA LT Gold 1.9 MM flying my way to LT PLAT
A flakey question, can we buy 25k miles

from Miles4Sale for AA and then do the same thing from Points.com for another AA 25K?

Or is it a max of 25k per year for purchased miles on AA? I'm getting so close to my million AA miles that I'm getting nervous and a little obsessed about the miles.
Old Mar 13, 2004, 7:53 pm

Location: SFO, SJC, OAK, LVK AA Lifetime Plat 2MM, LUV A-List, Hyatt Gold, SPG Lifetime Gold, Commercial Pilot (not employed by airlines)
I think I read that you can trade in upgrades for 500 miles. You could also get a Citibank Visa. The latest promo I saw on TV was for 12,500 free miles for opneing the account anf making your first charge. Here's another way to pick up an easy 500 to 3,000 miles for free as well: www.aa.com/promo

Anyway, as one who crossed 1 million miles about a month ago, don't get too obsessed about it. Aside from having 8 domestic upgrades put into my account two weeks after crossed the million mile mark the grass seems about the same color on this side as it was on that side. No additional recognition, no phone calls from the president (good thing), Neil Armstrong or John Glenn (met him already anyway). It just aint a big deal.

[This message has been edited by pushback (edited Mar 13, 2004).]
Old Mar 13, 2004, 8:19 pm
Moderator: American AAdvantage

Programs: AA LT Plat; HH LT Diamond, Maître-plongeur des Muccis
I've got to agree with pushback, oldpenny. At the time I clocked 1M, I didn't even know there was a benefit - suddenly, it looked like I had 8 upgrades too many.

I eventually got a computerized letter, and my next AAdvantage card read "1 million miles". No lights, reporters

Next month, when I hit 2M, I'll give myself some reward, or maybe I'll even inveigle Mrs. JDiver to give me some reward, but all it'll mean is when I slow down, I'll be PLT without having to sweat MRs

And, hey, congratulations!
Old Mar 13, 2004, 11:07 pm

Programs: AA 2MM
Let me 'third' that; the card with the million mile oval was fun to look at for a bit, but agree that nobody else gets excited about it, and gold is not that overwhelming, anyway.
I'm half-way to 2MM, and that's got the benefit of lifetime double miles, plus, rumor has it, 4 VIPs. You can ease off the mileage runs then, hooray..
Old Mar 14, 2004, 12:37 am
Suspended

Programs: AA EXP-1.6MM, Hilton Diamond, ManU & Chicago Bears #1 Fan
I think you guys missed the point. oldpenny is worried that AA may stop this undocumented perk just before the milestone is reached.

AND to answer her original question.
You could prchase up to 25K miles per year, and you could receive 25K miles per year as a gift and also receive up to 15K miles through the share program.

The following is from AA.Com:

Each AAdvantage Member is limited to purchasing no more than twenty five thousand (25,000) AAdvantage Miles using the buyAAmiles program, and may be given no more than 25,000 AAdvantage Miles as a gift in a calendar year through the giftAAmiles program. Each AAdvantage Member is limited to receiving no more than fifteen thousand (15,000) AAdvantage Miles, and may transfer no more than sixty thousand (60,000) AAdvantage Miles out of their AAdvantage account using the shareAAmiles program in a calendar year. Any AAdvantage Miles purchased or transfered in excess of such amount will not be posted to the Member's account, regardless whether payment has been remitted for such AAdvantage Miles, and American Airlines has no obligation to reimburse such remitted amounts.

So you could get 65K miles quickly, but VERY expensively. $1475 plus taxes plus somebodies 15K miles.
Old Mar 14, 2004, 5:56 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: AA LT Gold 1.9 MM flying my way to LT PLAT
Well, you all have good advice and have answered questions. It's harder for me to get AA miles by just flying as our office is now price shopping for tickets. I'm picking up miles on other programs that may not do me so much good. Yes, I realize that there won't be a marching band when I finally do get my million AA miles, but in this world of few rewards; I really want to do it. Thanks to FT it is a reasonable goal. Before you guys....much less so.
I'm picking up a lot of IDine, E-Rewards and FTD.com AA miles, plus my grocery store, Tom Thumb, gives AA miles 1 per $. Christmas I put out the word that AA miles would be a very nice gift and I received 15k. That and a credit card, it all is adding up.
I guess when I get sooooo close to that million, I'll be really tempted to buy the last chunk. That is if I don't have time for a really spectacular MR. Thanks so much!
Old Mar 14, 2004, 8:27 am

I'm at >850K, so I'm kinda antsy to hit 1mm this year. Requalifying for PLT will put me at 950K+, but I'm probably not going to rush things.

1.) Lifetime GLD would/will be nice, but it's not that big of a deal, since GLD can be attained cheaply and quickly.
2.) I may have to eat my words, but I really can't see AA changing the MM program in the next year or so.

It would be worth some $$ to me for lifetime PLT, though.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.