Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Discontinued Programs/Partners > American Airlines | AAdvantage (Pre-Consolidation with USAir)
Reload this Page >

ARCHIVE: Success stories of award booking on Etihad using AA miles

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

ARCHIVE: Success stories of award booking on Etihad using AA miles

Search this Thread

Old Feb 10, 2013, 11:35 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Silver, EY Gold, HH Diamond, IHG Plat
Originally Posted by ma91pmh
Yes I have noticed this too. Quite possibly a result of the increase in F redemptions with AA partnership. When the partnership started it was not uncommon to see the entire F cabin available for redemption. Now I never see more than 2. For a family of four, we'd have to do 2F and 2J to have any chance of getting us all on the same trip
I really feel its unfair of a Airline to only allocate 2 seats for redemption. I only ever use my miles for holidays and that is with family. With a young one I can hardly put him in Business on his own.
Old Feb 10, 2013, 11:45 am

Programs: A few
Originally Posted by onlysuites
I really feel its unfair of a Airline to only allocate 2 seats for redemption. I only ever use my miles for holidays and that is with family. With a young one I can hardly put him in Business on his own.
I agree with the frustration. Though sometimes with as few as 6 seats in an F cabin (like CX), it's understandable
Old Feb 10, 2013, 3:50 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I agree with the frustration. Though sometimes with as few as 6 seats in an F cabin (like CX), it's understandable
Completely. But in business they should have more seats?
Old Feb 10, 2013, 4:26 pm

Programs: A few
Completely. But in business they should have more seats?
Very true. Would not be unreasonable to open up 4 in J particularly given they must often fly half empty. I have seen a few flights where J opens up in the seven days before departure, but that doesn't work for me when going with family. Vacations center around school breaks and in the summer around swim meets. Not much flexibility!
Old Feb 10, 2013, 5:05 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Very true. Would not be unreasonable to open up 4 in J particularly given they must often fly half empty. I have seen a few flights where J opens up in the seven days before departure, but that doesn't work for me when going with family. Vacations center around school breaks and in the summer around swim meets. Not much flexibility!
Its only the High YQ carriers that have availability for those with families.
Old Feb 10, 2013, 5:11 pm

Programs: UA GS, AA Exec Plat, Bonvoy Ambassador, Hyatt Globalist
Its only the High YQ carriers that have availability for those with families.
IIRC, there is none or a small amount of taxes and fees on MH and they have VERY good availability. I've seen 4-5 J seats available for award on the same flight.
Old Feb 11, 2013, 4:32 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by merc1234
IIRC, there is none or a small amount of taxes and fees on MH and they have VERY good availability. I've seen 4-5 J seats available for award on the same flight.
But their route network will only more or less take you to Australia or far East. I was looking at India.
Old Feb 11, 2013, 7:23 pm

Programs: DL Diamond
Has anyone used NH or AA to book EY awards 320+ days out? NH agents see much more award space 250-300 days out and absolutely zero 325-330 days out.
Old Feb 12, 2013, 11:59 am

Last year, I was able to book EY ORD-AUH-DEL and return 331 days in advance, in J, with AAdvantage miles, over the peak travel period in the second half of Dec 2012. For Dec 2013, however, there is absolutely nothing for ORD-AUH and back.
Old Feb 12, 2013, 1:14 pm

Programs: AA Platinum Pro, AC *S, Marriott Gold Elite, Hyatt Explorist
I was able to get 1 seat in J YYZ-AUH-KHI abot 6 weeks in advance. Very easy booking process and only $60 of tax!
Old Feb 12, 2013, 1:41 pm
H99

Programs: centurion
Just booked a flight SYD - AUH 1st class, very happy as its a long flight on a nice product. Question for any SYD experts: will this ticket allow me to use the Qantas loounge at SYD i.e. it is all one terminal I think, so given its an AA code share, is this sufficient?
Old Feb 12, 2013, 2:29 pm

Programs: AA (Plt Pro; 1.5 MM)
Originally Posted by H99
Just booked a flight SYD - AUH 1st class, very happy as its a long flight on a nice product. Question for any SYD experts: will this ticket allow me to use the Qantas loounge at SYD i.e. it is all one terminal I think, so given its an AA code share, is this sufficient?
You seem to be thinking about One World status based lounge access. For that, your departing flight need to be marketed as well as operated by a OW carrier, so won't work in your case. However, as an Etihad First Class passenger you should have access to Air New Zealand lounge: http://www.etihadairways.com/sites/e...ldlounges.aspx.
Old Feb 12, 2013, 3:30 pm
H99

Programs: centurion
Thanks, I thought as a code share AA flight it might work, but the Air NZ lounge in SYD is quite okay IIRC so perfectly acceptable
Old Feb 12, 2013, 4:01 pm

Programs: DL Diamond
Originally Posted by SeeBuyFly
Last year, I was able to book EY ORD-AUH-DEL and return 331 days in advance, in J, with AAdvantage miles, over the peak travel period in the second half of Dec 2012. For Dec 2013, however, there is absolutely nothing for ORD-AUH and back.
This is the time period I'm looking at too. AA and ANA both tell me that all USA-AUH availability falls off a cliff after Nov 30 to absolute zero. Interestingly there IS AUH-USA space for about a week into December.

I'm guessssssing that EY releases space to partners after several weeks in order to give their own members first pick. Not unreasonable, but I wish I knew the way it's released so I can plan... I also can't seem to figure out why the wide open space extends into December for AUH-USA, but only until Nov 30 for the other direction...
Old Feb 12, 2013, 8:15 pm

Originally Posted by DC777Fan
I'm guesssssing that EY releases space to partners after several weeks in order to give their own members first pick.
Actually I joined and kept checking on EY's web page as well. Nothing.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.