Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Which flight to take; two separate tickets connecting in HKG

Search this Thread

Old Jan 11, 2015, 2:25 pm
Original Poster

Which flight to take; two separate tickets connecting in HKG

I would like to know if someone can give me advice on which flight to take (can’t find any info about this).

I’m flying with my family of 4 (includes a 4 year old child) from Singapore to Dallas, but am connecting in Hong Kong onto AA138 to Dallas which departs at 1:40PM (this will be in Business Class).

The Singapore to Hong Kong flight (this will be in Economy) and the Hong Kong to Dallas flight (this will be in Business Class) are 2 separate tickets.

My options for the Singapore to Hong Kong flight are as follows:
CX650 – 6:50AM-10:45AM
SQ890 – 7:35AM-11:20AM
CX710 – 8:05AM-11:55AM
SQ860 – 8:30AM-12:15PM

Which flight would you guys recommend taking?
Thanks!
Old Jan 11, 2015, 2:30 pm

Programs: AA EXP, DL DM, Marriott Titanium
One of the CX flights, so that AA will protect you in the event of a misconnect.
Old Jan 11, 2015, 4:16 pm
abk

Programs: AA LT Plat/8.1mm now with 1350 miles left in my account and proud of it.. SPG LT Titanium.
The later cx flight should work as 1:45 is plenty if time for a connection in Hkg but if you don't want to rush and you should have lounge access then take the earlier one. That would also give you a chance to tire the kids out. The point about staying on one world is key in case of a miss connect.
Old Jan 11, 2015, 4:29 pm
Marriott Contributor Badge

Programs: AA Platinum Pro, Hilton Diamond, Hyatt Exploralist, Marriot Silver
I agree with the others. Stay OneWorld in case of delays, and I'd also take the earlier CX650 just to give me some buffer. You can burn any spare time in the CX business class lounges.
Old Jan 11, 2015, 6:52 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by taxicabnumber
One of the CX flights, so that AA will protect you in the event of a misconnect.
Originally Posted by abk
The later cx flight should work as 1:45 is plenty if time for a connection in Hkg but if you don't want to rush and you should have lounge access then take the earlier one. That would also give you a chance to tire the kids out. The point about staying on one world is key in case of a miss connect.
Originally Posted by SFOPhD
I agree with the others. Stay OneWorld in case of delays, and I'd also take the earlier CX650 just to give me some buffer. You can burn any spare time in the CX business class lounges.
Thanks everyone!
CX650 it is (was my choice as well just to be on the safe side)...
Old Jan 11, 2015, 7:19 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
That's still an early departure from SIN. It's too early for public transportation to the airport, assuming that you would do that with a four year old kid. IIRC taxi service at this hour will have a substantial surcharge.
Old Jan 11, 2015, 7:58 pm

Programs: US, HH
I have done the CX710 to AA138 transfer. Getting off the plane, through transfer security check and to AA gate on that particular day, took only 15 mins, if that much. That's just one data point, but assuming the CX flight is not hugely delayed, it's very doable.

Given that you are traveling on two tickets though, you may not be able to get AA boarding passes for AA138 before you get to HKG, which may delay you at transfer time, I don't have experience with that.
Old Jan 12, 2015, 10:52 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by MSPeconomist
That's still an early departure from SIN. It's too early for public transportation to the airport, assuming that you would do that with a four year old kid. IIRC taxi service at this hour will have a substantial surcharge.
Indeed, very early (especially for such a long flight and with a 4 year old). But we are staying at the Crowne Plaza at the airport (just the last night for $130), so that makes up for any time lost driving to the airport, etc.

Originally Posted by GrjApp
I have done the CX710 to AA138 transfer. Getting off the plane, through transfer security check and to AA gate on that particular day, took only 15 mins, if that much. That's just one data point, but assuming the CX flight is not hugely delayed, it's very doable.

Given that you are traveling on two tickets though, you may not be able to get AA boarding passes for AA138 before you get to HKG, which may delay you at transfer time, I don't have experience with that.
That's very quick!
Ooppps, too late for us though. Already booked the tickets. But you are correct, since these are 2 separate tickets we will have to go to the AA transit desk ("airline desk area W1") to get our boarding passes and give them our luggage tags.
Old Jan 12, 2015, 10:56 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
Can't you do OLCI and print the boarding passes at the Crowne Plaza (or have the concierge do this for you)?
Old Jan 12, 2015, 7:45 pm
Original Member

Programs: AA 2MM, Bonvoy LTT, Hilton Diamond
As others have mentioned, one of the CX flights due to the following:

oneworld - Separate Tickets

Print a copy and carry with you.
Old Jan 13, 2015, 5:02 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by MSPeconomist
Can't you do OLCI and print the boarding passes at the Crowne Plaza (or have the concierge do this for you)?
Thanks, that's an option as well.

Originally Posted by seawolf
As others have mentioned, one of the CX flights due to the following:

oneworld - Separate Tickets

Print a copy and carry with you.
Thanks seawolf, if I had seen your link earlier I would have booked the later CX flight. However I can use the info at check in as well in SIN.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.