Community
Wiki Posts
Search

milage based awards

Search this Thread

Old Mar 9, 2004, 7:53 pm
Original Poster

milage based awards

aa hase some awards that are milage based like the ow130c ect.

this award lets you fly up to 20k miles on ow flights.

if one of those flights is the sfo-lhr flight which goes through ord with the same flight number does aa mesure the number of miles from sfo-ord-lhr or does aa mesure sfo-lhr?

i know for credit purposes aa only gives you credit for sfo-lhr even though it is a couple of hundres less miles than sfo-ord-lhr.

thanks
Old Mar 9, 2004, 8:10 pm

Programs: AA Plat 2MM
The mileage awards are based on stopovers, not connecting cities. If you stay somewhere (within the context of the whole itinerary) for more than 24 hours, it's a point that counts towards total mileage.

For example: JFK-YVR-HKG-AKL counts as JFK-AKL if you don't stay longer than 24 hours at YVR/HKG.

Your example should count as SFO-LHR only for mileage award calculations.

Does that help?
Old Mar 10, 2004, 12:24 am
LLZ

<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by azmmza:
aa hase some awards that are milage based like the ow130c ect.

</font>
Where do you find a list of these? I'm not real familiar with the OneWorld site (and so far cannot find simply a listing of all the types of awards available) and I'm just starting to look at these types of awards to use.

Thanks.
Old Mar 10, 2004, 12:42 am

look on AA.com
AAdvantage -&gt; Partners & Mileage Program -&gt; Airlines -&gt; oneworld
Old Mar 10, 2004, 3:16 am
Suspended

Taking some time to understand the rules of OneWorld awards is time well spent-- they operate quite a bit differently than regular awards and can be very useful. As mentioned above, miles are calculated "as the crow flies" as it were-- i.e. JFK-xDUB-xLHR-CPT is measured as JFK-CPT only. However you must use 2 OW carriers besides AA, or 3 OW carriers including AA (that's why DUB can be helpful, as in the above example.)

There are very few rules besides the above-- just the number of stopovers allowed in each city and the number of transits in each city, other than that, it's pretty "free form" and especially if you are basically traveling one-way, they can be a much better deal then a regular award. They also will allow usage of a preferred carrier (CX comes to mind ) on itineraries that last year's "simplification" ( ) ruled out.
Old Mar 10, 2004, 3:23 am

<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by JonNYC:
" However you must use 2 OW carriers besides AA, or 3 OW carriers including AA (that's why DUB can be helpful, as in the above example.)
</font>
Jon.
So could I use just BA and qantas and NOT AA at all??

whats DUB
Old Mar 10, 2004, 3:43 am
LLZ

<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by tinkybelle:
Jon.
So could I use just BA and qantas and NOT AA at all??

whats DUB
</font>
DUB=Dublin.

But I still don't get it. You'd use Aer Lingus JFK-DUB , then DUB-LHR on BA?? but then that leaves LHR-CPT on BA too....and where does AA fit into this? 'splain some more please Jon.
Old Mar 10, 2004, 4:00 am
Suspended

<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by LLZ:
DUB=Dublin.

But I still don't get it. You'd use Aer Lingus JFK-DUB , then DUB-LHR on BA?? but then that leaves LHR-CPT on BA too....and where does AA fit into this? 'splain some more please Jon.
</font>
No need to fit in AA whatsoever-- even though you're using AA miles. An award using only Are Lingus and BA (or BA and QF-- or any two OW carriers) is 100% acceptable. I did one for a good friend that was JFK-DUB-LHR-HRE-JNB-LHR-IST-LHR (and then there was an AA leg from LHR-BOS, but that did not have to be included.)

Other than that the main rule of OneWorld awards is this: passeneger may stop in each city once (stopover), but may not connect in the same city more than twice (transit). Passengers may not stopover or connect in the city where travel originated.

But again, AA does not have to be used on any segment of such an award.

Old Mar 10, 2004, 10:27 pm
LLZ

Thanks that clears it up, I was just reading excluding the wrong way i.e. making it more difficult than it was....guess the airlines have me conditioned in that aspect.

One more quick question...what are the "x"s in JFK-xDUB-xLHR-CPT for?
Old Mar 10, 2004, 11:08 pm

<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by LLZ:
Thanks that clears it up, I was just reading excluding the wrong way i.e. making it more difficult than it was....guess the airlines have me conditioned in that aspect.

One more quick question...what are the "x"s in JFK-xDUB-xLHR-CPT for?
</font>
connection rather than stopover, perhaps?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.