Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Discontinued Programs/Partners > American Airlines | AAdvantage (Pre-Consolidation with USAir)
Reload this Page >

Has AA quieted adopted US' brand of bottled water? [Purified municipal, vs Spring]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Has AA quieted adopted US' brand of bottled water? [Purified municipal, vs Spring]

Search this Thread

Old Jan 8, 2015, 2:20 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Enough to Cause a Migraine

Prior to the changes on September 1, 2014, I clearly remember AA having bottled spring water [I believe AA served Crystal Geyser spring water, and other spring waters]. Having flown both US and AA in 2015, it appears that AA has phased out its spring water in favor of cheaper, purified tap water put in a bottle--- the brand US had been serving.

I'm not referring to the Nestle Pure Life individual bottles that AA had been previously distributing pre-September 1 [which is also purified water], but rather water served in larger bottles from the beverage cart.

I can't remember the name of purified water, but it comes in a white bottle, and if you read the bottle closely, you'll find it's a product of the Coca-Cola company. [not Dasani]

Many will probably say "who cares" when it comes to this, but purified water is just municipal tap water that's gone through a purification process, whereas spring water comes directly from a source and contains more minerals, and is typically better for you than municipal water.

Doug & Co probably figure most people won't notice, nor will they care.

Switching from spring water to purified municipal water is just another "enhancement" that saved AAL probably ~$80,000 a year or so.
Old Jan 8, 2015, 2:30 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Years ago, AA served spring! bottled water, which was natural spring water from a place called Big Spring in Mt Shasta, CA and was owned by the Coca-Cola company. Tasted fine.

Then, AA switched to Niagra bottled water, the purified municipal water from Ontario, CA. I believe they're the largest supplier of private label bottled water. Tasted fine.

It's all H2O to me.
Old Jan 8, 2015, 2:34 pm

Programs: AA EP 3MM, UA Silver, Bonvoy LT TIT, Hyatt Explorist, HH Silver, Caesars PLT
The only large bottles of water I've seen on AA or US (catered from the US and domestic) is Aquarious Spring! water...which has been on AA since the Niagra water was replaced a number of years ago. I also recently saw individual Dasani bottles in J out of JFK.
Old Jan 8, 2015, 2:56 pm

Programs: AA EXP - MR Plat - HH Gold
Originally Posted by aamilesslave
The only large bottles of water I've seen on AA or US (catered from the US and domestic) is Aquarious Spring! water...which has been on AA since the Niagra water was replaced a number of years ago. I also recently saw individual Dasani bottles in J out of JFK.
Dasani? That's quite strange. I've only seen individual bottles of Nestle water in all my J/F flights over the past several years. Not the best, but at least it's not Dasani. If AA were to serve Dasani on J/F I would seriously consider leaving AA, LOL!

I might sound like a snob but Dasani actually makes a sound when you open the bottle and has so much sodium it makes you even thirstier. I'm not asking for AA to give us Fiji or Panna on J/F (although non US carriers would and actually do), I just would never want to see Dasani served on AA. Ever.
Old Jan 8, 2015, 3:14 pm

Programs: AA EP 3MM, UA Silver, Bonvoy LT TIT, Hyatt Explorist, HH Silver, Caesars PLT
Originally Posted by roadwarrior84
Dasani? That's quite strange. I've only seen individual bottles of Nestle water in all my J/F flights over the past several years. Not the best, but at least it's not Dasani. If AA were to serve Dasani on J/F I would seriously consider leaving AA, LOL!

I might sound like a snob but Dasani actually makes a sound when you open the bottle and has so much sodium it makes you even thirstier. I'm not asking for AA to give us Fiji or Panna on J/F (although non US carriers would and actually do), I just would never want to see Dasani served on AA. Ever.
I thought it was strange, too.

I'm fine with Dasani. One of the better 'purified' options to me. Aquafina is the nasty one in my books - often tastes like dirt (and not in a good way like a dirty/peaty scotch).
Old Jan 8, 2015, 3:24 pm

Without sounding too snarky, does this thread not belong on:

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/ameri...about-167.html
Old Jan 8, 2015, 3:33 pm

Programs: AA EXP, DL PM (FO soon), A3 Gold, TK Classic Plus, SPG Plat, HH Gold, Hyatt Diamond, National EE
I think your understanding of what constitutes "spring" water is perhaps a bit optimistic.

e.g. http://www.sfgate.com/science/articl...er-5246469.php

This municipality is/was pissed that Crystal Geyser wants to steal their municipal water to sell.
Old Jan 8, 2015, 4:48 pm

Programs: AA EXP - Marriott LT Platinum - National Exec Elite
Originally Posted by Max M
Many will probably say "who cares" when it comes to this, but purified water is just municipal tap water that's gone through a purification process, whereas spring water comes directly from a source and contains more minerals, and is typically better for you than municipal water.
I really thought your post was satire until I got to this paragraph. I've got a bridge to sell you if you really think there are benefits to spring water versus municipal water.
Old Jan 8, 2015, 5:25 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: MR/SPG LT Titanium, AA LT PLT, UA SLV, Avis PreferredPlus
You're looking for Crystal Geyser? The one that received an "F" on the Environmental Working Group bottled water scoreboard?
Old Jan 8, 2015, 6:23 pm

Programs: AA EXP 2MM
Originally Posted by FWAAA
It's all H2O to me.
+1. I don't give half a hoot about this. I remember when bottled water was unheard of on board (except for cans of club soda & tonic water). Everyone just drank the tank water. I'm not advocating going back to that, but we survived.
Old Jan 8, 2015, 6:26 pm

Programs: UA GS, DL-Plat, Hilton Gold, IHG Platinum, Hyatt Somethingist, Marriott Titanium Lifetime
As long as they don't try to serve me water from a can I am fine. That makes me glad I have so many drink coupons on "that" airline so I can order a beer instead.
Old Jan 8, 2015, 8:15 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA
I thought it was strange, too.

I'm fine with Dasani. One of the better 'purified' options to me. Aquafina is the nasty one in my books - often tastes like dirt (and not in a good way like a dirty/peaty scotch).
And I'm the opposite. I think Dasani tastes worse than the mud I played with as a child. Aquafina has no taste to me.

I am however fine with most tapwaters, except from the Dallas area the few times of year when the reservoir is turning.
Old Jan 8, 2015, 10:06 pm
Original Poster

Now I remember why I brought this up:

AA has changed from Aquarious Spring water to Aquarious Purified Water.
Old Jan 8, 2015, 10:09 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by CPRich
You're looking for Crystal Geyser? The one that received an "F" on the Environmental Working Group bottled water scoreboard?
Not so much looking for the brand of Crystal Geyser, but the type of water.

It was my mistake; the reason I brought this thread up was that AA switched from Aquarious Spring Water to Aquarious Purified Water[tap water].
Old Jan 8, 2015, 10:12 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by reeg2
I really thought your post was satire until I got to this paragraph. I've got a bridge to sell you if you really think there are benefits to spring water versus municipal water.
Drinking Atlanta Municipal water or Drinking water that's from a stream that's underwent the same purification process?

If you're fine with drinking municipal water, then perhaps looking up "reclaimed water" on a search engine might change your outlook.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.