Community
Wiki Posts
Search

New American airplanes space under aisle seat - tiny!

Search this Thread

Old Mar 26, 2015, 11:08 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA LT Gold, DL SM, HY Disc, Marriott LT Gold
I've ended up selecting 15F on the 738s as my default, even though I prefer aisles to window seats in coach. The exit row aisles can be extremely narrow between the in-seat trays and the reduced leg room.

I will be sad when I don't requalify for EXP this year (2014 was a fluke), as the Y seating is just getting worse and worse.
Old Mar 27, 2015, 12:34 pm

Programs: AAdvantage Gold
Originally Posted by jordyn
Do you have an emotional support animal too?
Although the Labrador Retriever would like to think that he is, the answer there is no.

While I understand that some people genuinely need to fly with service animals, but most of them are dogs, and they have very sensitive hearing and a plane is a terrible environment for them - inside of the cabin or in the hold, it doesn't matter that much, they're both not fun and should only be undertaken if you don't have another viable choice. The people who routinely mis-label their pets as service animals, or just fly routinely with them in general, just boggles my mind at the lack of care they're showing them.

As for me, I bring piles of technology with me, including Li and Li-Ion batteries, but I'm not unique in needing or wishing to fly with items that can't be checked safely - fueled lighters, spare batteries for laptops, phones and cameras, baby supplies when flying with an infant, and so on, are all included.

Just because you don't smoke and always use Apple devices that have their batteries soldered into them, doesn't mean that the rest of us do; fly to somewhere with load shedding and you'll rapidly understand the necessity of having spare batteries.
Old Mar 27, 2015, 12:39 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA, B6, DL, EK, EY, QR, SQ, UA, Amex Plat, Marriott Tit, HHonors Gold
Originally Posted by SJC AA
American spokesman Casey Norton says 91 airplanes have the big boxes and the airline is working with Boeing to find a better location that won't be as noticeable and will “more evenly distribute the space.” Changes will begin in May with new deliveries and will be retrofitted in the 29 737s already flying with the big boxes, he says. American’s Airbus A319 and A321 planes with the big boxes won’t get changes.

So um... they're moving the boxes on the planes that only have one box per three-seater, but not on the planes that have two boxes per three-seater?
They should just rip out the stupid, useless, heavy, bulky IFE systems and put in streaming AVOD like DL is doing.
Old Mar 31, 2015, 12:23 pm
Original Poster

I just recently flew on Delta from Honolulu to LAX and was surprised at the roominess of the 767s not to mention the AVOD system without the bulky system on the bottom. It was really nice.
Old Mar 31, 2015, 1:55 pm

Originally Posted by jec6613
Just because you don't smoke and always use Apple devices that have their batteries soldered into them, doesn't mean that the rest of us do; fly to somewhere with load shedding and you'll rapidly understand the necessity of having spare batteries.
The issue is not carrying spare batteries or not, it's this:

They relented rather rapidly, and that's one reason I spread my high energy batteries between both of carry-on pieces, as they can't check it, even on a RJ where it flies strapped next to the FA rather than in the hold*.
Intentionally spreading your spare batteries between your bags so that neither can be put under the plane is selfish and obnoxious, just like people who mischaracterize their animals as service animals so they can keep them in places where they wouldn't otherwise be allowed.

In any case, this is off-topic. These boxes are in fact very annoying and AA should get rid of them. Seems like Virgin managed to put them under the floor, which seems a lot more sensible (and apparently reduces wear and tear).

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.