Community
Wiki Posts
Search

New American airplanes space under aisle seat - tiny!

Search this Thread

Old Jan 30, 2015, 2:21 pm

Programs: AA EXP/CK 2M+
All the more reason to keep status and get overhead space.
Old Jan 30, 2015, 2:35 pm

Programs: AA Plat, Hilton Diamond *Wood Gold, Hertz PC
No amount of status helps if you have a backpack and a suitcase and the flight crew is watching people board and "reminding" them that the second item has to go under the seat. My backpack barely fits making me think it's time to see if I can travel with a small tablet that I can put in the front zipper part of my suitcase and any needed paperwork inside.
Old Jan 31, 2015, 12:40 am

Programs: AA EXP, 2MM, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by WestCoastFlyer
No amount of status helps if you have a backpack and a suitcase and the flight crew is watching people board and "reminding" them that the second item has to go under the seat. My backpack barely fits making me think it's time to see if I can travel with a small tablet that I can put in the front zipper part of my suitcase and any needed paperwork inside.
Has anyone actually been forced to gate check one of their bags because their smaller bag was too large to put under the seat with the avod box (while fitting just fine under any other seat in the fleet)?
Old Jan 31, 2015, 1:45 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AS 75K
Same problem on AS. Seems at least 1 Intl carrier has all the bells and whistles without a box under the seat.
Old Feb 27, 2015, 2:02 pm
Original Poster

I booked a Window seat for my latest trip to NYC only to find out onboard that aisle seats didn't have the equipment underneath. It was in the side of the middle seat.
Old Feb 27, 2015, 7:00 pm

Programs: Hyatt Globalist, Marriott Titanium, UA Silver, Hilton Gold, Hertz Pres Circle
If you think that's bad, try 14 hours in coach on an AA 777-200.
Old Mar 25, 2015, 5:37 pm
Original Poster

There is now a Wall Stree Journal article on this idiotic move by AA. I really wonder what kind of people American hires to work there. Perhaps a loser with C grade transcript from college who couldn't get a job at a real company....

http://www.wsj.com/articles/is-more-...WhatsNewsForth
Old Mar 25, 2015, 6:08 pm

Programs: AA PLT AA 1MM
AA, Please note: I don't give a flying (whatever) about IFE, but I care a lot (!) about the space under the seat in front of me.
Old Mar 25, 2015, 6:21 pm

Programs: BAEC redundant Bronze, AAdvantage Lifetime PLT, CO, WN, B6
Originally Posted by CDKing
Same problem on AS. Seems at least 1 Intl carrier has all the bells and whistles without a box under the seat.
I used to be a big fan of AS until I met the new seats on their 737-900's - I find the padding, the underseat storage and the reduced legroom with no MCE a real disappointment compared to their older 738's to the point I don't like using them even between AUS-SEA.

It will be interesting to see what AA have done with the coach seats on the 788's? The equivalent on BA gets such bad reviews it really sounds like one to avoid though thankfully they have a real PE product. I'm pretty doubtful about AA's MCE on that aircraft.
Old Mar 25, 2015, 10:12 pm

Programs: AAdvantage Gold
Originally Posted by hbtr
Has anyone actually been forced to gate check one of their bags because their smaller bag was too large to put under the seat with the avod box (while fitting just fine under any other seat in the fleet)?
They tried to with me. I pointed out that my larger carry-on had a CPAP in it, which they couldn't separate me from, in addition to my DSLR battery packs, and my smaller one had enough Lithium batteries to bring the plane down (film SLR), plus two laptops, two tablets and three spare phones. They relented rather rapidly, and that's one reason I spread my high energy batteries between both of carry-on pieces, as they can't check it, even on a RJ where it flies strapped next to the FA rather than in the hold*.

*to be fair, that was only once, a six or seven years ago, after US stranded me for two days and IDB'd me seven times, with a confirmed seat each time, all due to oversell, before getting me out. And my checked bag made it to my destination on the original flight.

Last edited by jec6613; Mar 25, 2015 at 10:21 pm
Old Mar 25, 2015, 10:28 pm

Originally Posted by jec6613
They tried to with me. I pointed out that my larger carry-on had a CPAP in it, which they couldn't separate me from, in addition to my DSLR battery packs, and my smaller one had enough Lithium batteries to bring the plane down (film SLR), plus two laptops, two tablets and three spare phones. They relented rather rapidly, and that's one reason I spread my high energy batteries between both of carry-on pieces, as they can't check it, even on a RJ where it flies strapped next to the FA rather than in the hold*.

*to be fair, that was only once, a six or seven years ago, after US stranded me for two days and IDB'd me seven times, with a confirmed seat each time, all due to oversell, before getting me out. And my checked bag made it to my destination on the original flight.
Do you have an emotional support animal too?
Old Mar 26, 2015, 4:51 am

Programs: AA EXP 1.2mm, Kimpton IC, Starwood Gold, Marriott Gold
Originally Posted by Mellonc
There is now a Wall Stree Journal article on this idiotic move by AA. I really wonder what kind of people American hires to work there. Perhaps a loser with C grade transcript from college who couldn't get a job at a real company....

http://www.wsj.com/articles/is-more-...WhatsNewsForth
From that article:
American spokesman Casey Norton says 91 airplanes have the big boxes and the airline is working with Boeing to find a better location that won't be as noticeable and will “more evenly distribute the space.” Changes will begin in May with new deliveries and will be retrofitted in the 29 737s already flying with the big boxes, he says. American’s Airbus A319 and A321 planes with the big boxes won’t get changes.

So um... they're moving the boxes on the planes that only have one box per three-seater, but not on the planes that have two boxes per three-seater?
Old Mar 26, 2015, 6:12 am

Programs: AA EXP
Originally Posted by jec6613
If you are going to play that card be very sure that your bags comply with the size limits or they can take the other route which is to de-plane you until such time as you present yourself with compliant bags.
Old Mar 26, 2015, 8:56 am

Originally Posted by Mark_T
If you are going to play that card be very sure that your bags comply with the size limits or they can take the other route which is to de-plane you until such time as you present yourself with compliant bags.
More generally, this approach just doesn't scale and is really selfish. If everyone on the plane did it, you end up with an impossible situation in which the airline can't accommodate all of the bags that people have basically booby-trapped so they can't go elsewhere. So either we get an even more awful process where people try to repack on the spot, or some people don't get to fly.

I'm sympathetic to the legitimate situation where someone has, e.g., a CPAP device and a laptop and don't expect to have to separate them because there ought to be legroom for the laptop bag, but jec6613 turns from sympathetic hero to villain when it becomes clear that there's batteries scattered between the two bags for no purpose other than to keep them in the main cabin.
Old Mar 26, 2015, 10:00 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by SJC AA
From that article:
American spokesman Casey Norton says 91 airplanes have the big boxes and the airline is working with Boeing to find a better location that won't be as noticeable and will “more evenly distribute the space.” Changes will begin in May with new deliveries and will be retrofitted in the 29 737s already flying with the big boxes, he says. American’s Airbus A319 and A321 planes with the big boxes won’t get changes.

So um... they're moving the boxes on the planes that only have one box per three-seater, but not on the planes that have two boxes per three-seater?
I didn't get the statement from AA either. Makes no sense. First you spend labor money to install the darn thing. then, you say, wait. Perhaps you should move it from inner side of aisle seat and middle seat legs to outer side of middle seat and window seat legs..... and spend more labor money to retrofit the original retrofit. I'd bet that it costs AA more money move these things back and forth than to have purchased a non-intrusive system in the first place.

Even with all my miles on AA, I'm gonna try more Jet Blue and VA on my next trip (LAX-JFK). when I don't get upgraded, I am stuck in the aisle seat of the economy section. Then, there is no room for my laptop bag.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.