Search

What is Domestic First like?

Search this Thread

Old Jan 1, 2015, 11:02 am
Original Poster

Programs: BAEC Silver, Hilton Diamond
What is Domestic First like?

Hi everyone

Flying JFK-MCO in August and flying 'First' but I understand it is nothing at all like an international first class or perhaps even business.

I was thus wondering what to expect.

Thanks
James
Old Jan 1, 2015, 11:11 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA PLT (2.9+ MM), HH GLD, Hyatt Diamond, SPG PLT
A lot will depend on the type of aircraft - but indeed domestic First in the US is not at all like int'l travel; in the same way that on BA "first" (I always get club europe, club world, etc.. confused so I'll use the US names) flying from say LHR to Rome would be very different than first, or business, flying on BA from LHR to Los Angeles.

Depending on the flight time, you'll get a meal. You'll also get free alcohol, priority boarding, and a larger seat. There may - or may not be - IFE.
Old Jan 1, 2015, 11:18 am
Suspended

Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
Unlike BA's CE service with its Y seating and a blocked middle seat, there will be 2-2 seating with a real arm rest and slightly better pitch. The meal, if any, should be noted on your itinerary and you can also check AA's meal schedule online. Booze is free.
Old Jan 1, 2015, 11:18 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Gold, SQ Gold, KQ Platinum, IHG Diamond Ambassador, Hilton Gold, Marriott Silver, Accor Silver
Originally Posted by bdemaria
I always get club europe, club world, etc.. confused
Generally it's Club Europe for shorthaul flights within Europe, and Club World for midhaul and longhaul flights outside of Europe. There are a few exceptions (eg. some leisure routes to Northern Africa operate a Club Europe service), but it's not particularly complicated.

Or by aircraft:
Club Europe on E170, E190, A319, A320, B737, shorthaul A321 and shorthaul B767.
Club World on midhaul A321, longhaul B767, B787, B777, B747, A380, A318.

Last edited by Genius1; Jan 1, 2015 at 1:25 pm
Old Jan 1, 2015, 11:33 am

Programs: DL PM
Originally Posted by jamesellis
Hi everyone

Flying JFK-MCO in August and flying 'First' but I understand it is nothing at all like an international first class or perhaps even business.

Thanks
James
Yes, it's not even anything like international business.

It's a wider seat with about 3-4 more inches of legroom than Main Cabin Extra or 7-8 more than regular coach. You'll get free drinks and a meal that may or may not be edible. You'll have the same IFE as coach passengers on the same flight. But it beats coach every time.
Old Jan 1, 2015, 11:55 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Lifetime Gold
Wirelessly posted (BlackBerry: BlackBerry8530/5.0.0.1030 Profile/MIDP-2.1 Configuration/CLDC-1.1 VendorID/417)

If the OP will be on a meal flight, he can order his entree in advance at aa.com. @:-)
Old Jan 1, 2015, 12:00 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K1.75MM, Hyatt Globalist, abandoned Marriott LTT (RIP SPG), Hertz PC
Originally Posted by TXguy
Yes, it's not even anything like international business.

It's a wider seat with about 3-4 more inches of legroom than Main Cabin Extra or 7-8 more than regular coach. You'll get free drinks and a meal that may or may not be edible. You'll have the same IFE as coach passengers on the same flight. But it beats coach every time.
I flew that route on an intl 752 in Nov so there is a chance of a better hard product
Old Jan 1, 2015, 12:23 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by UA-NYC
I flew that route on an intl 752 in Nov so there is a chance of a better hard product
Thats why would it be useful to know which flight - I've flown the 752 int'l on this route as well
Old Jan 1, 2015, 12:41 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by jamesellis

Thanks
James
One more thing to expect: MCO in August = lots & lots of kids on your flight
Old Jan 1, 2015, 2:39 pm
Moderator: American AAdvantage

Programs: AA LT Plat; HH LT Diamond, Matre-plongeur des Muccis
AA doesn't fly First to FCO, only Business. And the Business product is getting a nice upgrade, though it's still a work in progress.

Much of BA Club Europe has less seat pitch than AA economy (30" now), though they don't fill middle seats unless they have to. My experiences with 30" (New! Improved! ) seat pitch on BA Airbii were not very positive.

Are you looking at flying AA, or US?

Last edited by JDiver; Jan 1, 2015 at 3:12 pm
Old Jan 1, 2015, 3:06 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Gold, SQ Gold, KQ Platinum, IHG Diamond Ambassador, Hilton Gold, Marriott Silver, Accor Silver
Originally Posted by JDiver
AA doesn't fly First to FCO, only Business. And the Business product is getting a nice upgrade, though it's still a work in progress.

Much of BA Club Europe has less seat pitch than AA economy (30" now), though they don't fill middle seats unless they have to.
The OP is flying to MCO, not FCO.

BA never sell the middle seat in Club Europe - indeed, the middle seat is blocked by a table on all refurbished aircraft.

Last edited by JDiver; Jan 1, 2015 at 3:13 pm Reason: Add strike through as post corrected
Old Jan 1, 2015, 3:11 pm
Moderator: American AAdvantage

Programs: AA LT Plat; HH LT Diamond, Matre-plongeur des Muccis
Originally Posted by Genius1
The OP is flying to MCO, not FCO.

BA never sell the middle seat in Club Europe - indeed, the middle seat is blocked by a table on all refurbished aircraft.
Thanks. Tired eyes doing a lot of FT maintenance today!

The table is removable, and iirc BA states they can sell if they "must". I hope not, but the new CE is rubbish anyway. There's no comparison between AA domestic F with seat width and pitch, etc. and BA CE after the slimline seats and "sardining" of the pitch. A 193 cm / 6'4" passenger such as myself shoehorned into 30" pitch in a presumably premium seat is a sad joke. A cheap meal with a mini bottle of cheap wine don't really begin to compensate.

I suspect the OP will be quite impressed in an AA 737 in domestic F compared to CE.

Last edited by JDiver; Jan 1, 2015 at 3:19 pm
Old Jan 1, 2015, 4:15 pm
Moderator: British Airways Executive Club

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold. GGL/CCR.
The newer AA 737-800 (TPA-LAX) in F with the seat back IFE was quite impressive compared to the older 737s, 757s and MD-80s.

Was on an really old US A319 last night in F. It was really uncomfortable with a massive dip in the seat. The whole F cabin looked really tatty. Worst AA/US domestic F I've ever been in.

So, as an earlier posted said, it all depends on the aircraft.
Old Jan 1, 2015, 4:48 pm
Suspended

Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
I would not worry too much about aircraft types and the like on a short-haul such as this. As AA-US move towards a single operation there are tons of schedule changes and aircraft swaps. Plan on something with seats and 2 engines and you won't be disappointed.

Also, as an aside to OP. If you are connecting from an international flight, JFK makes eminent sense. But, if you are already in NYC and are simply headed to MCO, it would make a great deal of sense to fly xLGA. Infinitely closer to the City and much easier to use.
Old Jan 1, 2015, 5:36 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K1.75MM, Hyatt Globalist, abandoned Marriott LTT (RIP SPG), Hertz PC
Originally Posted by Often1
Also, as an aside to OP. If you are connecting from an international flight, JFK makes eminent sense. But, if you are already in NYC and are simply headed to MCO, it would make a great deal of sense to fly xLGA. Infinitely closer to the City and much easier to use.
Not when one is trying to fly AA and/or credit to BAEC

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.