Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Discontinued Programs/Partners > American Airlines | AAdvantage (Pre-Consolidation with USAir)
Reload this Page >

[2015 NEWBIE LOUNGE] Ask Your AA-Related Questions Here (flame free)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Dec 31, 2014, 10:46 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: JDiver
MODERATOR GUIDEPOST (This post can only be edited by moderators.)

Welcome to the 2015 "NEWBIE LOUNGE":
Ask Your AA-Related Questions Here (FLAME FREE)

Thanks to thread founder / "plank owner" HNL! Founder and previous FlyerTalk owner, Randy Petersen, quoted (with necessary word substitutions) said in the Alaska Airlines Mileage Plan Forum:
Originally Posted by Randy Petersen

Welcome to FlyerTalk.

The Newbie Lounge is a place where you can get answers to your questions about American Airlines and the AAdvantage program. No question is too stupid, nothing is taken for granted, and anything about American Airlines you were afraid to ask elsewhere, or weren't sure where to ask, you can ask here.

We realize that FlyerTalk is a huge place. Until you learn your way around, feel free to post here without fear of retribution or reprimands for not using search. Our volunteer Moderators will be monitoring the lounge to assist you in finding your answers but I think you'll find that all members of FlyerTalk are here to assist you with answers and advice.

We're all glad you are here.
/American AAdvantage Forum Moderation Team

The previous NEWBIE LOUNGE threads are archived here

And

2014 NEWBIE LOUNGE: Ask Your AA-Related Questions Here (flame free)

Some very useful threads for new members to check include.

FAQ: American Airlines and AAdvantage - Please check here first!

HELP DESK: Ask questions about Lounge Access, Challenges, Upgrades, Miles & Points

Link to thread covering Weather, IRROPS (irregular operations) etc. of significance affecting American Airlines' operations. This thread contains links to some very useful assistance, AA weather policy and other tools.

Print Wikipost

[2015 NEWBIE LOUNGE] Ask Your AA-Related Questions Here (flame free)

Search this Thread

Old Sep 23, 2015, 8:37 pm
Moderator: American AAdvantage
Original Poster

Programs: AA LT Plat; HH LT Diamond, Maître-plongeur des Muccis
Another good thread or two to check are

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/ameri...iscussion.html

and

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/ameri...es-2014-a.html
Old Sep 25, 2015, 2:16 pm

Programs: Chase UR, AAdvantage, Rapid Rewards, Alaska, Skymiles, IHG
I'm trying to book an awards trip for my parents from Nashville to San Juan, PR next spring for a cruise trip. The required RT miles is 45,000 per ticket and availability is pretty tight. Departing flight cost 17.5k(MileSAAver) points and the returning flight is 27.5k(AAnytime) points. They are getting a pretty crappy redemption rate as the flight would cost $441 RT, but my father is fine with that as he says he wants to use up the points.

So what I'm wondering is if it's possible to get a lower miles redemption cost if I can use those AAdvantage miles through an AA partner. Unfortunately, the AA site doesn't give you any option to see partner airlines as options. So for example, can I use AAdvantage miles to book on British Airways, which would ultimately end up putting my parents on AA metal anyhow as they don't fly that route in America. I pulled up my personal Avios account last night to see what would be possible. If one has Avios it is possible to book from Nashville to San Juan using British Airways flying AA metal and actually get a better deal at 37k miles and one of those flights would be a business seat on top of that.

So in a nutshell(as this may be confusing), can I use AAdvantage points to book a flight on AA via a OneWorld(or other partner) even though the flight would still be on AA?

Last edited by reflexpoint; Sep 25, 2015 at 2:25 pm
Old Sep 25, 2015, 3:48 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Lifetime Gold
Wirelessly posted (BlackBerry: BlackBerry8530/5.0.0.1030 Profile/MIDP-2.1 Configuration/CLDC-1.1 VendorID/417)

"So in a nutshell (as this may be confusing), can I use AAdvantage points to book a flight on AA via a OneWorld(or other partner) even though the flight would still be on AA?"

No. AA miles can only be redeemed through AA, and only at AA's rates.

You can redeem partner miles (like BA Avios) for AA flights, but at the partner's rates, and only for SAAver award seats. And you can redeem AA miles on partner flights, at AA's redemption rates, through AA.
Old Sep 25, 2015, 4:25 pm

Programs: Chase UR, AAdvantage, Rapid Rewards, Alaska, Skymiles, IHG
Originally Posted by guv1976
Wirelessly posted (BlackBerry: BlackBerry8530/5.0.0.1030 Profile/MIDP-2.1 Configuration/CLDC-1.1 VendorID/417)

"So in a nutshell (as this may be confusing), can I use AAdvantage points to book a flight on AA via a OneWorld(or other partner) even though the flight would still be on AA?"

No. AA miles can only be redeemed through AA, and only at AA's rates.

You can redeem partner miles (like BA Avios) for AA flights, but at the partner's rates, and only for SAAver award seats. And you can redeem AA miles on partner flights, at AA's redemption rates, through AA.
Gotcha. Thanks for your response.
Old Sep 26, 2015, 2:58 pm

Hi all,

I have been seaching but there's so much info here i'm confused. I have a few questions.

I have some 250k US Airways Dividend miles which I assume are now AAdvantage points. I'm flying from London to....well undecided.

- What site(s) do people use to check availability on OTHER carriers (i'm not in the US)? Is there one that searches all partners?
- Also is this partner award chart valid for all partners and carriers? https://www.aa.com/i18n/AAdvantage/r...tner-chart.jsp
- Does cathay allow partner redemption? I recall some being quite......picky

Apologies if this is a simple question, I don't redeem often and the merger has me confused!

Last edited by Tonyc997; Sep 26, 2015 at 3:11 pm
Old Sep 26, 2015, 3:24 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Tonyc997
Hi all,

I have been seaching but there's so much info here i'm confused. I have a few questions.

I have some 250k US Airways Dividend miles which I assume are now AAdvantage points. I'm flying from London to....well undecided.

- What site(s) do people use to check availability on OTHER carriers (i'm not in the US)? Is there one that searches all partners?
- Also is this partner award chart valid for all partners and carriers? https://www.aa.com/i18n/AAdvantage/r...tner-chart.jsp
- Does cathay allow partner redemption? I recall some being quite......picky

Apologies if this is a simple question, I don't redeem often and the merger has me confused!
Which partners? The aa.com website searches some -- but not all -- of AA's oneworld and non-oneworld partners. On ba.com, you can search for award availability on all oneworld partners, but for none of AA's non-oneworld partners.

Yes, the AA partner award chart is valid for redemption on all AAdvantage airline partners, subject to AA's award-routing rules.

Award availability on partner airlines for AAdvantage members is determined by the individual partner.
Old Sep 26, 2015, 3:41 pm

Which partners? The aa.com website searches some -- but not all -- of AA's oneworld and non-oneworld partners. On ba.com, you can search for award availability on all oneworld partners, but for none of AA's non-oneworld partners.

Yes, the AA partner award chart is valid for redemption on all AAdvantage airline partners, subject to AA's award-routing rules.

Award availability on partner airlines for AAdvantage members is determined by the individual partner.
Any partner as I actually don't have a destination yet, I was going to see what's available and spend a few weeks there over the xmas/NY period. Depends what's available at such late notice

So far i'm thinking Australia....
Old Sep 26, 2015, 4:29 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Tonyc997

Any partner as I actually don't have a destination yet, I was going to see what's available and spend a few weeks there over the xmas/NY period. Depends what's available at such late notice

So far i'm thinking Australia....
On aa.com, you will see award availability -- if any -- on BA and QF, but not on CX, JL, MH, or QR. You can either search ba.com for those, or call AA. EY may also be an option, but only for "direct" (single flight number) flights, unless you are willing to redeem for two separate awards.
Old Oct 4, 2015, 7:04 pm

Programs: AA EXP, Hyatt
AA 1-day lounge passes on ebay

Are they usually legit or mostly scams?

How are people getting these 1-day passes? I don't see any credit card offers for an AA day pass.... hm....
Old Oct 4, 2015, 8:22 pm
Moderator: American AAdvantage
Original Poster

Programs: AA LT Plat; HH LT Diamond, Maître-plongeur des Muccis
There are several ways one coul get a Club one day pass, but the primary one, purchasing from AA, is not transferable.

Day pass is non-refundable, non-changeable, non-transferable, and valid only on date of visit. Day pass is only valid for use by the named pass-holder as printed on the pass.
The passes I'm seeing don't have a name on them, but the sellers are concealing the upper left corner in various ways. I'm not sure the pass number they're concealing hasn't been registered to someone.

Perhaps a pass user will tell us more. Until then:

Caveat emptor.

Last edited by JDiver; Oct 4, 2015 at 8:28 pm
Old Oct 5, 2015, 11:30 am

Question AA Million Mile Platimum status w/o flying?

I recently retired and with the US Air and American merger I have about 850K of unused miles for travel. My wife has about 180K. I have lifetime Gold and a total of 1,958,000 million miles Elite miles. As you can see, I am 42,000 miles short of 2 M for lifetime Platinum status.

In addition to the AA award miles, I have 120K of Jet Blue, 200K of Delta and 200K of Cap One.

All my planned travel will be using award mileage.

Is there any way to get AA mileage credit against the 42,000 without purchasing AA tickets?.

Any and all suggestions would be appreciated.
Old Oct 5, 2015, 12:38 pm

Programs: AA, BAEC Gold
Originally Posted by FlyinghighAA
I recently retired and with the US Air and American merger I have about 850K of unused miles for travel. My wife has about 180K. I have lifetime Gold and a total of 1,958,000 million miles Elite miles. As you can see, I am 42,000 miles short of 2 M for lifetime Platinum status.

Is there any way to get AA mileage credit against the 42,000 without purchasing AA tickets?.
Not any longer. And only actual flown miles count, that is the 500 mile minimum does not apply. It used to be much easier with the credit card miles counting! Your only choice is to use miles for your wife and money for yourself if you want to make the 42k.
Old Oct 5, 2015, 12:42 pm

I booked 2 TATL ticket (same PNR, non refundable and can be changed with about USD 350, I guess )
I was supposed to travel with SO but she can't come.
We were upgraded with miles and co-pay on the oubound only

I need to cancel her ticket and change completely my itinerary (same origin city)
Believe I can't use her ticket value to cover my new ticket , but can I use her USD 350 copay to cover one of my two copays (will upragde both ways this time)

Second question :
will fly from Europe to 4 cities in the US then back to Europe , (will stay 1 or 2 nights in each city, one week trip total). Can 2 "C inventory upgrade" cover the 3 domestic legs ?

Last question ; if SO doesn't fly on a 001 ticket within one year of the date of issue, this money (ticket price less change fees) will be gone for good ?

thank you all
Old Oct 5, 2015, 3:49 pm
In Memoriam, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Alaska MVP Gold 75K, AA 3.8MM, UA 1.1MM, enjoying the retired life
Originally Posted by MADPhil
Your only choice is to use miles for your wife and money for yourself if you want to make the 42k.
And I'd add that we don't know where AA is headed in the future with million miler benefits. We know that 2MM this year comes with lifetime Platinum and the benefits associated with that level, but we don't know what rules will be in play in 2016 for those that are still on the road there. Could there be a change in million miler benefits in years ahead? No one knows. If I was 42K away I'd lock it in this year myself and not gamble on any changes next year.

I really wish AA would come out and tell us what to expect next year. I haven't bought any 2016 tickets yet, though if they don't say anything by November 1 I'm going ahead and buying my Jan-Feb tickets hoping there won't be any changes.
Old Oct 5, 2015, 4:10 pm

Has the 20% bonus promo when transferring Marriott points been discussed anywhere? When I click through to the travel page it's still showing the standard amounts.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.