Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Discontinued Programs/Partners > American Airlines | AAdvantage (Pre-Consolidation with USAir)
Reload this Page >

[2015 NEWBIE LOUNGE] Ask Your AA-Related Questions Here (flame free)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Dec 31, 2014, 10:46 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: JDiver
MODERATOR GUIDEPOST (This post can only be edited by moderators.)

Welcome to the 2015 "NEWBIE LOUNGE":
Ask Your AA-Related Questions Here (FLAME FREE)

Thanks to thread founder / "plank owner" HNL! Founder and previous FlyerTalk owner, Randy Petersen, quoted (with necessary word substitutions) said in the Alaska Airlines Mileage Plan Forum:
Originally Posted by Randy Petersen

Welcome to FlyerTalk.

The Newbie Lounge is a place where you can get answers to your questions about American Airlines and the AAdvantage program. No question is too stupid, nothing is taken for granted, and anything about American Airlines you were afraid to ask elsewhere, or weren't sure where to ask, you can ask here.

We realize that FlyerTalk is a huge place. Until you learn your way around, feel free to post here without fear of retribution or reprimands for not using search. Our volunteer Moderators will be monitoring the lounge to assist you in finding your answers but I think you'll find that all members of FlyerTalk are here to assist you with answers and advice.

We're all glad you are here.
/American AAdvantage Forum Moderation Team

The previous NEWBIE LOUNGE threads are archived here

And

2014 NEWBIE LOUNGE: Ask Your AA-Related Questions Here (flame free)

Some very useful threads for new members to check include.

FAQ: American Airlines and AAdvantage - Please check here first!

HELP DESK: Ask questions about Lounge Access, Challenges, Upgrades, Miles & Points

Link to thread covering Weather, IRROPS (irregular operations) etc. of significance affecting American Airlines' operations. This thread contains links to some very useful assistance, AA weather policy and other tools.

Print Wikipost

[2015 NEWBIE LOUNGE] Ask Your AA-Related Questions Here (flame free)

Search this Thread

Old Aug 3, 2015, 10:48 am

Need clarification... On this forum it states that the 500 mile upgrades do not expire. The AA website says they do but when i call AA they are telling me that they expire on March after they are earned. So if I earn in Dec I only have three months to use???
Old Aug 3, 2015, 11:55 am

Programs: AA, BAEC Gold
Originally Posted by march212006
Need clarification... On this forum it states that the 500 mile upgrades do not expire. The AA website says they do but when i call AA they are telling me that they expire on March after they are earned. So if I earn in Dec I only have three months to use???
I have some that have been around for more than a year, possibly two.
Old Aug 3, 2015, 11:56 am
Suspended

Programs: AAdvantage PP
Unless something has changed recently, stickers do not expire. However, if do not requalify for elite status during 2015 and therefore lose status as of March 1, 2016 you will not be able to use stickers until you achieve at least Gold status again.
Old Aug 3, 2015, 1:02 pm

Programs: AA, BAEC Gold
Is the source of your confusion the fact that the mileage counter is reset on March 1? The miles you earn between March 1 and February 28/29 give you four 500 mile upgrades for each 10,000 miles. This is what starts over on March 1, the coupons should carry over for ever but are not usable without status.
Old Aug 3, 2015, 7:19 pm

Programs: AS,AA,JB, HH Gold, Starriott Titanium Elite, Hyatt Explorist, Global Entry
Deleted

Last edited by mhdena; Aug 4, 2015 at 12:37 am
Old Aug 3, 2015, 7:44 pm

Programs: AA-EXP & 1MM+, AS, MR-LTT, HH Gold
Originally Posted by tom911
No. They need to be on the flight with you.
Thanks Tom.
They will continue to sit there collecting dust (electronically speaking!)
Old Aug 3, 2015, 8:39 pm

Programs: AA EXP...couple hotels and cars too
Originally Posted by mhdena
Sorry to have bothered the Moderator with this question earlier.

AA Voucher ?

It says valid for 1 year, which I didn't realize, and that sentence is not on the page of the apology.

Gift cards and movie coupons do not expire in California, can I hold AA to the same standard?
Gone baby gone.

You didnt purchase the voucher, it will not fall under the CA law.
Old Aug 3, 2015, 9:50 pm
In Memoriam, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Alaska MVP Gold 75K, AA 3.8MM, UA 1.1MM, enjoying the retired life
Originally Posted by allset2travel
Thanks Tom.
They will continue to sit there collecting dust (electronically speaking!)
I have some in account from 2004 still. If I ever drop back down to Platinum I expect they'll still be there, ready to be used again.
Old Aug 4, 2015, 9:36 am
Moderator: American AAdvantage
Original Poster

Programs: AA LT Plat; HH LT Diamond, Maître-plongeur des Muccis
I've had a stack of e500s in my account since I became EP (15 years or so?) I've chipped a few away to upgrade travel companions, but they continue and will be there for me when I drop to lifetime Platinum.
Old Aug 5, 2015, 7:36 am

Programs: AA
I'm trying to find an AAdvantage award in business R/T STL-CZM. I can get back fine, but on the outbound, the only AAnytime Business awards are rather circuitous, i.e. AAnytime business awards STL-DFW are unavailable (must go through PHL/CLT), though DFW-CZM are available.

My question is, if I call and take a voluntary seat downgrade on STL-DFW, will business class baggage limits still apply? Or would it be basically a wash since I'd incur a fee to book over the phone? (I have no status).

Thanks.
Old Aug 5, 2015, 8:12 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP 2MM, SK EBS
Originally Posted by backprop
I'm trying to find an AAdvantage award in business R/T STL-CZM. I can get back fine, but on the outbound, the only AAnytime Business awards are rather circuitous, i.e. AAnytime business awards STL-DFW are unavailable (must go through PHL/CLT), though DFW-CZM are available.

My question is, if I call and take a voluntary seat downgrade on STL-DFW, will business class baggage limits still apply? Or would it be basically a wash since I'd incur a fee to book over the phone? (I have no status).

Thanks.
Do you mean sAAver? AAnytime awards are generally available as long as there's a seat for sale.

To answer your question, yes, the business baggage allowance will apply if your first segment is in Y and second in J. I'd recommend putting the long routing on hold, then calling AA to change to Y on the STL-DFW segment.
Old Aug 5, 2015, 8:33 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by backprop

Thanks.
If it can't be booked on aa.com, there should be no phone charge.

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/ameri...le-aa-com.html

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/ameri...solidated.html

should be useful.

Awards are AAdvantage, which includes Dividend Miles members since late March. Awards are discussed in the "Combined Airline and Program" forum because AAdvantage (including awards) is a combined program now.
Old Aug 5, 2015, 8:40 am

Programs: AA
Originally Posted by JJeffrey
Do you mean sAAver? AAnytime awards are generally available as long as there's a seat for sale.

To answer your question, yes, the business baggage allowance will apply if your first segment is in Y and second in J. I'd recommend putting the long routing on hold, then calling AA to change to Y on the STL-DFW segment.
Thanks - yes, I did mean sAAver.

Thank you also JDiver.
Old Aug 6, 2015, 1:53 pm

Flying AA for the first time in forever this Sunday for work. I find it hilarious how many seats AA attempts to monetize as 'preferred.' The middle seat on the 11th row, really?

Old Aug 6, 2015, 2:06 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by trouble747
Flying AA for the first time in forever this Sunday for work. I find it hilarious how many seats AA attempts to monetize as 'preferred.' The middle seat on the 11th row, really?

This is the airlines wave of the future; don't expect it to improve. It's also waived for those who fly frequently enough to have status or for those paying for better seats or higher fares.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.