Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Discontinued Programs/Partners > American Airlines | AAdvantage (Pre-Consolidation with USAir)
Reload this Page >

Should I say something? [GA loud comment to youthful First passenger]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Should I say something? [GA loud comment to youthful First passenger]

Search this Thread

Old Dec 13, 2014, 6:55 pm
Suspended

deleted

Last edited by JonNYC; Dec 16, 2014 at 9:39 pm
Old Dec 16, 2014, 9:24 pm

Programs: AAdvantage
Originally Posted by BadgerBoi
If you're in any customer facing role and your day is so bad that you feel compelled to behave like this then you need to take the day off. Seriously, there is no excuse for this.

This is beyond not being "perfect" or failing to smile or say "thank you".
^Or at least go outside for some fresh air, maybe a smoke. Works wonders for me.
Old Dec 16, 2014, 9:40 pm

Programs: AA EXP, UA Prem Exec, HH Diamond, SPG Gold
I'm a little late to the game but here are my two cents:

I was a EXP and business/first class flier straight out of college (all work, I'm not scrooge) This used to happen quite often. Just roll your eyes and hand them the BP. Any comment just makes you sound a royal d or a, take a your pick. There's no point in complaining.

You'll occasionally even get comments from pax, especially on the long haul flights and/or odd timed flights.
Old Dec 16, 2014, 9:45 pm

Programs: AA EXP, UA Prem Exec, HH Diamond, SPG Gold
One more thing, I noticed that during stressful times for GA's, full flights (GA's and FA's) and long hauls (FA's) a small gesture goes a long way. I buy the Lindt Lindor Truffle Mini Bags (1.3 oz.) by the 100's and hand them out. Not always, but I usually keep a few tucked in my carry on.

You'll never have another problem and you'll get to hear some great stories.
Old Dec 17, 2014, 6:13 am

Slightly off topic maybe and much less egregious than the OP's story, but there is this one dragon at the CLT legacy US Club that always greets me, when I show up holding out my AAdvantage card or Citi Exec card, with "Are you an Admiral's Club member?" with this condescending tone. Well why else would I be standing there? Do I not LOOK like one? I am a bit young; I doubt she asks the business suit guys this as a means of greeting. Every other US/AC dragon, heck even the AS Boardroom folks, just nicely put in my AA number, validate my membership, and I am on my way.

I wouldn't ever say anything, but it bothers me that the greeting is phrased in the form of a presumption of doubt.
Old Dec 17, 2014, 8:33 am

Programs: AA Lifetime Gold but PlatPro thanks to LPs
Originally Posted by arlflyer
Slightly off topic maybe and much less egregious than the OP's story, but there is this one dragon at the CLT legacy US Club that always greets me, when I show up holding out my AAdvantage card or Citi Exec card, with "Are you an Admiral's Club member?" with this condescending tone.
Maybe she thinks you are way cuter than the long parade of middle aged business suited guys and wants to engage you in some conversation, however short.

I suggest you flirt back. A little. Gently. With your most charming smile and sweetest voice:

"You ask me that question, but didn't ask the other two older guys ahead of me in line. Well well well, does that mean you want to engage me in conversation?"

(1) You might make a new friend.
(2) She might remember you next time and not ask the same question.
Old Dec 17, 2014, 9:27 am

Programs: AA EXP, DL PM (FO soon), A3 Gold, TK Classic Plus, SPG Plat, HH Gold, Hyatt Diamond, National EE
Having just gotten back from wading through a sea of people who hadn't yet been called in order to board...I can at least sympathize with the intent, if not the execution. Absent fitting "the profile" or otherwise projecting that you belong, it's at least understandable that you encounter this. Heck - when wading through I had to try to peak at boarding passes or otherwise figure out how to separate the crowd/mob from the people trying to get through to board - and in at least one case I temporally guessed wrong. It's a mess however you deal with it.
Old Dec 17, 2014, 10:49 am

Programs: AAdvantage Former EXP/Current PLT / Total Rewards - Diamond / Hilton HHonors - Gold
OP has described my personal hell. Nobody's worse about this than ORD GA's.

I'm turning 30 in June, but I look the same as I did at age 16. Sometimes they're rude, sometimes they're failing at a joke. I've had FA's ask to see my boarding pass in F after boarding in F group. I had one make a joke about me being an unaccompanied minor. I've been given the "You can't use your father's frequent flyer account" speech too. My father hasn't been on a plane in over 20 years (an amount of time I can remember because I'm not a 16-year-old).

But the absolute worst are the EXP gate lice standing at the gate waiting for a magical upgrade after first class has checked in full. They take one look at me and feel confident they'll be boarding first. Meanwhile, my upgrade cleared 3 days ago.

My hair's starting to turn gray. I honestly can't wait.
Old Dec 17, 2014, 11:27 am

Programs: Marriot Am, MU Pt
Originally Posted by lizs
I actually find it's fellow travelers that I get that more from - countless times when waiting to board first class men in suits have been at my side saying "excuse me I'm in first class" and trying to go by. And I just give them a big smile and a "me too!". They always look very sheepish but I'm just lucky enough to not have to travel in my professional clothes.
I have found in Asia, I haven't had a problem with what the OP had, but I do get some of what you describe.

I've been getting the, "Excuse me, I'm flying X or I'm a Y status" always assuming from other passengers. Most of the time I have higher status or flying in a higher class, but regardless, I'm eligible to be in that line. I usually don't reply and if they try to cut I will mention there is a queue.
Old Dec 17, 2014, 1:27 pm
Suspended

Programs: AAdvantage PP
Originally Posted by josmul123
OP has described my personal hell. Nobody's worse about this than ORD GA's.

I'm turning 30 in June, but I look the same as I did at age 16. Sometimes they're rude, sometimes they're failing at a joke. I've had FA's ask to see my boarding pass in F after boarding in F group. I had one make a joke about me being an unaccompanied minor. I've been given the "You can't use your father's frequent flyer account" speech too. My father hasn't been on a plane in over 20 years (an amount of time I can remember because I'm not a 16-year-old).

But the absolute worst are the EXP gate lice standing at the gate waiting for a magical upgrade after first class has checked in full. They take one look at me and feel confident they'll be boarding first. Meanwhile, my upgrade cleared 3 days ago.

My hair's starting to turn gray. I honestly can't wait.
Just forget these type of people. You are EXP and have cleared an upgrade, end of story. If people want to have some kind of fantasy about you that is their problem.
Old Dec 17, 2014, 2:43 pm

My favorite happened a week or so ago. I was flying back paid first from Art Basel to LA on one of the 767s. I booked a seat next ti my girlfriend and some guy was in my seat. His wife was across the aisle sitting next to her friend. Said he needed the seat because she hurt her leg. I said I would prefer to keep my seat as I am also traveling with someone. He said that he should have priority as an executive platinum to which i quiped back that there were plenty of seats together last week when I bought the ticket and said his greeter should have sorted him out (then the Five Star greeter walked up with my girlfriend and asked him to take his assigned seat).
Old Dec 17, 2014, 2:53 pm

Programs: AAdvantage Former EXP/Current PLT / Total Rewards - Diamond / Hilton HHonors - Gold
Originally Posted by newyorkgeorge
Just forget these type of people. You are EXP and have cleared an upgrade, end of story. If people want to have some kind of fantasy about you that is their problem.
I'm EXP? Someone tell American!!! ^^^ I'm not EXP, but I book in advance and squeak by about 90% of my upgrades.

I shrug off the ageism. That doesn't mean I like it. I just chalk it up to a lack of "new blood" in the industry. A 30-year-old still looks like a 12-year-old to a ticketing agent who's been working for 30 years.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.