Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Need help checking standby status

Search this Thread

Old Jan 21, 2004, 3:50 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AA lifetime gold, Marriott Plat.
Need help checking standby status

When I made the booking I thought that my husband had office in the morning and we would have to take the evening flight from ORD to FLL. Well, my mistake he is not in the office. I checked with AMR for a morning flight and they told me that flight 786 maybe a possiblity, but it is too early as our flight is 1/29, but we live 3 hours from the airport. Is there a way to check to see what the availability is now and the morning of our flight. I cannot see sitting at O"Hare for 6 hours. Thanks all you experts!
Old Jan 21, 2004, 6:06 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP, 6MM; BA GLD
There are on-line tools that many of us use to gauge availability of flights, but the easiest thing for you to do is just call the airline. Simply tell them that you are considering standing by for an ORD-FLL flight on January 29 and could they please tell you how the flights look. The agent should be able easily to tell you how all of that day's flights look in terms of availability.
Old Jan 21, 2004, 6:30 pm

Programs: dont matter anymore...
Hi tatmtr7,

Because this has nothing to do with miles or points, and appears that you are flying on AA, I'm going to move it to the AA Forum. You can continue to monitor it there.

Flipside
Old Jan 21, 2004, 6:50 pm

As of now this is the availability on flight 786 F7 A7 Y7 B7 H7 K7 M7 Q7 G7 V7 W7 L0 N0 S0 O0.
If you ask me as of now it looks pretty good, but u do have a week till the 29th.

e
Old Jan 22, 2004, 1:05 am

"The agent should be able easily to tell you how all of that day's flights look in terms of availability."

My experience is that reservations agents (for any airline, not just AA) invariably tell you that it doesn't look good, totally full flight, overbooked in fact. In spite of all these negative reports, I have not yet ever failed to clear the standby list for any flight.
Old Jan 22, 2004, 7:50 am
Original Poster

Thanks to all. When I called the airline I was told that it was barely open. So if I call next wed. can I ask how many seats remain open ?
Elimuli--- how did you get that info as I hate to ask you all to do this again next week? I am a slow learner, but willing.
Old Jan 22, 2004, 8:42 am

You could also try "Check Available Seats" on aa.com.

I agree with the other posters, do not rely on what a customer service rep tells you. I was at the airport once and watched as a woman literally had a temper-tantrum when she was told that the flight she wanted to standby for was full. Apparently, a CSR on the phone had told her that her chances of standy were really good for that flight.
Old Jan 22, 2004, 9:01 am

Programs: 5/1/81 AA Member,1MM
Checking the seat map right now without AA status shows coach full. Logging in with my Plat. status shows just seven seats in coach.There are also eight seats available forward. Standby could be a problem depending on your position on the list.
Old Jan 22, 2004, 11:53 am
Original Poster

Another question - How are the exit row seats counted when assessing if the flight is full? I again called the airline and it was suggested to me that we try to standby on the earlier flight which when I looked it too was booked. The 10 am flight is flight 472.
Old Jan 22, 2004, 1:08 pm

<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by tatmtr7:
Another question - How are the exit row seats counted when assessing if the flight is full? I again called the airline and it was suggested to me that we try to standby on the earlier flight which when I looked it too was booked. The 10 am flight is flight 472.</font>
Not sure that I understand the question.However,for flight#786,5 of the 10 exit row seats are available because my status allows me to see and select them. Otherwise,exit row seats are only available at the airport and thus show up on the seatmap as not available.Likewise,the two other seats available are also only for status people.
So, 5 of them on this flight are in the count of possible available seats. The other 5 are actually occupied. Hope this answers your question.
Old Jan 22, 2004, 1:17 pm

Just checked #472. Only four coach seats available,all exit row.Eight seats remain in F.Just like the other flight,those seats up front will probably be occupied from upgrades from coach.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.