Wiki Posts
Search

LAX-LHR-LAX 136/135 gates

Search this Thread

Old Nov 27, 2014, 6:17 am
Original Poster

Programs: AA Lifetime Gold but PlatPro thanks to LPs
LAX-LHR-LAX 136/135 gates

In anticipation of my annual LAX-LHR trip, I read a lot of info on FT that talked about busing to remote gates, busing to TBIT, etc. Yesterday (11/26/2014) I returned home and thought I'd tell of my experience.

LAX-LHR (AA 136) left from Gate 41 in AA T4, just as usual. No buses, no remote gates. Just the normal terminal to jetbridge to airplane.

We arrived at Gate 35 in LHR T3, which was pretty much routine. I went through Flight Connections and on to the Continent without any issues.

LHR-LAX (AA 135) left from Gate 31 in T3, on time. We arrived to 75 degree weather in Los Angeles, clear and sunny. The plane taxied to the far northern gate of TBIT (134?), which surprised me as from reading FT I expected the bus routine from T4. The long walk through the northern concourse was expedited with moving walkways.

ETA: TBIT arrival was the usual plane to jetbridge to terminal. No buses.

In FT I had read that the Global Entry kiosks were at the far southern end of the Immigration hall, but I found them pretty much in the middle, along with the new APC kiosks for non-GE passengers. There were plenty of GE kiosks, unlike the old AA T4 Immigration hall which had only two, one of which was usually out of order.

With GE, I passed by the long line of people waiting for CBP, got my checked bag and went through a clearly marked GE line for the final Customs check. The "regular" Customs line had about 15 people in it, but the GE line was absolutely clear. Global Entry rocks!

All-in-all, it was a smooth process and I was really happy to not have to endure the bus and remote gate routine. I was really impressed with the new TBIT Immigration hall. I was also impressed with the number of helpful, friendly uniformed airport employees who kept things moving.

I had to wait almost an hour for the Van Nuys Flyaway, but that's a different story.

Last edited by QueenOfCoach; Nov 30, 2014 at 9:20 am
Old Nov 28, 2014, 12:30 am

Programs: AA EXP, 2MM, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by QueenOfCoach
LHR-LAX (AA 135) left from Gate 31 in T3, on time. We arrived to 75 degree weather in Los Angeles, clear and sunny. The plane taxied to the far northern gate of TBIT (134?), which surprised me as from reading FT I expected the bus routine from T4. The long walk through the northern concourse was expedited with moving walkways.
I was also on 135 yesterday, similar observations as yours. Before the flight, the flight notifications indicated the arrival gate as "HGR" which some previous FT posts suggested might refer to (or suggest) the remote terminal. Pleasantly surprised to find that we had actually arrived at TBIT.
Old Nov 28, 2014, 5:19 pm

Programs: AA EXP/1mm, Marriott Titanium/LT Gold, UA Silver
I wonder if this is a regular thing now for 135 to gate at TBIT. Would be a welcome change!
Old Nov 30, 2014, 4:00 am

Really appreciate the info as I'm on LHR-LAX on Tuesday. I also have Global entry...how long would you say it took from landing to being on the curb?
Old Nov 30, 2014, 4:29 am

I'm waiting to take off now on AA 135; I'll let everyone know as well if we land at TBIT or the remote hangar.
Old Nov 30, 2014, 9:13 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by lizs
Really appreciate the info as I'm on LHR-LAX on Tuesday. I also have Global entry...how long would you say it took from landing to being on the curb?
About 20 minutes from walking out of the airplane to curbside. The walk wasn't bad and there were plenty of uniformed people to direct the crowds.

We had to wait about 10 min at the baggage carousel, though. Other than that, the entire process was smooth and efficient. I had zero wait in the Immigration/Customs CBP procedures.
Old Nov 30, 2014, 9:18 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by angrypenguin
I'm waiting to take off now on AA 135; I'll let everyone know as well if we land at TBIT or the remote hangar.
Thanks.

I really hope my experience last Wednesday is the New Normal, especially with an abundance of GE kiosks. I have had to wait for a kiosk in the old T4 CBP area when they had only one functioning.

From reading past FT threads, there now seem to be three possibilities.

1. Land at T4, then bus over to TBIT.
2. Land at one of the remote gates at the far western end of the airport, then bus over to TBIT.
3. Land at TBIT.
Old Dec 22, 2014, 6:02 am
Suspended

Any news last couple of days. Flying tomorrow. They seem to change from TBIt to 45 t4 2 hours out then back to 41 t4 at t-2. Is this correct or a system error as plane is towed to 41 for 136 return?
Old Dec 22, 2014, 8:25 am

Programs: AAdvantage (since 1987) PLAT. USAir Dividend, AF Flying Blue.
I went to pick my friend up at LAX on Nov 8th.

- He couldn't tell where he droped out, by he had to take a bus. As non-elite, he was seated on one of the very last rows of the main cabin. So he boarded the bus last and droped out of the bus 1st. Lined 1st and was the very fist passenger to show up at arrivals ! (means, his luggage was delivered that quiclky, no priority luggage tag).

- The flight was not listed on the arrivals screens. I asked to whoever I could (airport employees walking by, TSA guys...) but no one was sure. When he showed up, I was about to go back to T4 to double check. Very annoying.

- People that arrived in the hall on the hour before (I was early) all said that they had to stand a 1 to 2 hours wait line. (We where several people wondering and to ask arriving passengers where they arrived from).
Old Dec 22, 2014, 3:28 pm

Programs: AA PLTPRO, HH Diamond, IHG Plat, Marriott Plat, Hyatt Globalist
I returned on 11/30. We were parked at TBIT. IIRC, we were at the southernmost gates which made for a very long walk on the skybridge over the terminal and then to the escalator down into Immigration/Customs.

Much better than the remote gate but still a very long walk.
Old Dec 22, 2014, 3:52 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by OskiBear
I returned on 11/30. We were parked at TBIT. IIRC, we were at the southernmost gates which made for a very long walk on the skybridge over the terminal and then to the escalator down into Immigration/Customs.

Much better than the remote gate but still a very long walk.
Thanks, same as Thanksgiving. Hope has not changed back to Steps and Bus Again...
Old Dec 22, 2014, 4:03 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Lifetime PLT, AS MVPG, HH Diamond, NCL Platinum Plus, MSC Diamond
Originally Posted by rjlon
Thanks, same as Thanksgiving. Hope has not changed back to Steps and Bus Again...
Looks like 135 is scheduled for 153 (TBIT) today.
I am really curious about Wednesday
Old Dec 22, 2014, 4:03 pm

Programs: AA EXP/LT Plat (4 MM), SPG LT Plat (Bonvoy doesn’t exist to me), HH Diamond via cc, Hyatt Globalist
I was on 135 in late November and we had to take the bus from T4, but flightaware is showing that it's landed at TBIT every day the last week and a half or so. I was at LAX over the weekend and noticed way more planes on gates at TBIT than I'd ever seen, so maybe good news.

FWIW though, the bus just wasn't THAT bad. The couple times I did it, I was sitting in the front part of J so I was first onto the bus. Had to wait while the thing loaded, but the whole trip over to TBIT plus the walk plus Global entry never took more than about 20 minutes from when we landed.
Old Dec 22, 2014, 4:06 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by mvoight
Looks like 135 is scheduled for 153 (TBIT) today.
I am really curious about Wednesday
Yes looking at various sites it goes TBIT then T4 gate 45 then 41 then 155 or 159. Looks like sites are picking up different bits of data. I suspect it lands at TBIT and then a tug tows it into 41 for 136. Anyway I am relieved. Thanks for your post.
Old Dec 22, 2014, 4:09 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by SAN-man
I was on 135 in late November and we had to take the bus from T4, but flightaware is showing that it's landed at TBIT every day the last week and a half or so. I was at LAX over the weekend and noticed way more planes on gates at TBIT than I'd ever seen, so maybe good news.

FWIW though, the bus just wasn't THAT bad. The couple times I did it, I was sitting in the front part of J so I was first onto the bus. Had to wait while the thing loaded, but the whole trip over to TBIT plus the walk plus Global entry never took more than about 20 minutes from when we landed.
My problem is I cannot do steps easily especially with carry on (old football injury to both knees), so all the time they had steps I had to use Wheelchair which is depressing. You were not allowed to use the elevator any other way.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.