Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Obese New Flyer With Questions

Search this Thread

Old Nov 12, 2014, 5:40 pm

Programs: UA 50K, refugee from AC E50K, Marriott Lifetime Plat
It's been said that courage is "simply" facing your fears and not letting them control you. To my mind, HighSierra is facing the fear of flying with exemplary courage. Well done! ^

A few random tidbits in no particular order:

I flew once with a POS (person of size). He was a fellow FT'er though and thus was well versed in everything to do with flying. He needed an extender which was the only time I've ever seen one. It's basically just a seatbelt with the correct buckles at each end. So you take the regular seatbelt, stick it into the extender, then put the extender into the other end of the seat. It's all very obvious on how to use it and to me it looked quite secure.

Someone else mentioned various noises on a plane. That's a good point. Then engines make an interesting sound if you're in front of them so don't expect a roaring sound like you hear coming out the back of the engine. And there are many mechanical systems on planes such as landing gear, flaps etc. They all make various noises. I was recently on a 747 sitting in row 1 and was quite surprised at how noisy things were when the nose gear went down. Anyway, just as a car makes various noises, a plane does too so it will all be very normal.

If you haven't really flown before, it is useful to get to the airport early. Being landslide where you drop people off is different in some ways to being airside after you go through security. There's a different feel to both sides of the airport and finding your gate can be an interesting challenge depending on which airport you're at. Also, you may check in and be told you're departing from gate B22 only to find out that when you get airside your gate is now moved to B25 or A38 or whatever. So it's important to find a screen and check your flight; don't be concerned if the gate changes. It happens so just move to the appropriate gate. On the assumption you're flying within North America, I don't think you'll have much trouble as gate changes are usually handled in a manner that makes things fairly clear.

I believe you mentioned you're taking your noise cancelling headphones. That's a good idea. Most airlines though won't let you use over the head models during take off & landing. The idea here is that they're too hard to yank off if they need to make an announcement or something. But earbuds are OK since they come out very easily. Bose makes the QC20i noise cancelling earbuds so that might be something worth looking at. That way you can have a headset on for the whole flight and not just during cruise. (Most airplane noise if during take off & landing for obvious reasons.) Personally I use a pair of Shure sound isolating earbuds for my travels.

Re: engine failure / engine falling off during flight - That stuff really doesn't happen in a modern airplane. But even if it does, an airplane can glide quite nicely for a long distance. Also, in the continental US you'll be well within radar & radio coverage for most / all of your flight so if anything happens, you'll be well within range of very capable help. Keep in mind too that the guys sitting in the pointy end of the plane have thousands of hours of flying experience and have experienced all manner of things in the simulators. If you can think it, they've actually done it in the sim. They know what they're doing.

Hope you have a great flight! When you get back home, do post back in the Trip Reports forum!
Old Nov 12, 2014, 5:41 pm

Programs: UA 50K, refugee from AC E50K, Marriott Lifetime Plat
Originally Posted by HighSierra
Hmmmmmm, might just be better to leave the car at the airport then. How secure is it? I never like leaving a car in a place for a long time simply due to thieves.
Depends on the airport. I've never had any problems at YYZ.
Old Nov 12, 2014, 5:52 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA PLT,AS,UA PP,J6,FB,EY,LH,SQ,HH Dmd,Hyatt Glbl,Marriott Plat,IHG Plat,Accor Gold
Originally Posted by HighSierra
Hmmmmmm, might just be better to leave the car at the airport then. How secure is it? I never like leaving a car in a place for a long time simply due to thieves.
Airport parking lots are generally pretty secure. It's not as though there are armed guards roaming around them, but the shuttles that take folks to the terminals come and go pretty regularly. And I've never heard of anyone having a break-in.

Having said that, if you're parking at an airport lot not right at LAX - such "off-site lots" are generally cheaper than those right at the airport - you might want to book ahead online. During busy travel seasons, such lots can fill up...at least that's my experience at San Francisco.
Old Nov 12, 2014, 6:50 pm

Programs: Independent
How far are you? You can always see if you can get a shared van. Also, check the special rates and packages at the hotel. Some of them offer parking packages. But just check the prices carefully - sometimes the package price is more than if you were to buy them separately. Oh, and sometimes hotels in the suburbs will offer parking packages where you can stay there a night and catch a shared van in the morning and they will let you park for the duration of the trip.

I so wish a thread like this existed when I first started flying years and years ago. Then again maybe I wish the Internet existed back then. : ) As this has some really, really valuable information in it, maybe it should become a sticky?
Old Nov 12, 2014, 7:33 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by RCyyz
Hope you have a great flight! When you get back home, do post back in the Trip Reports forum!
I definitely will, no doubt about it! Good information on the headphones as well. Mine are indeed over the head so I would have looked pretty foolish there.

Originally Posted by Thunderroad
Airport parking lots are generally pretty secure. It's not as though there are armed guards roaming around them, but the shuttles that take folks to the terminals come and go pretty regularly. And I've never heard of anyone having a break-in.

Having said that, if you're parking at an airport lot not right at LAX - such "off-site lots" are generally cheaper than those right at the airport - you might want to book ahead online. During busy travel seasons, such lots can fill up...at least that's my experience at San Francisco.
The cheap one I was looking at is an off lot, about a mile from the Airport. I'll call and ask if that's the route I do go. Thanks!

Originally Posted by Cloudship
How far are you? You can always see if you can get a shared van. Also, check the special rates and packages at the hotel. Some of them offer parking packages. But just check the prices carefully - sometimes the package price is more than if you were to buy them separately. Oh, and sometimes hotels in the suburbs will offer parking packages where you can stay there a night and catch a shared van in the morning and they will let you park for the duration of the trip.

I so wish a thread like this existed when I first started flying years and years ago. Then again maybe I wish the Internet existed back then. : ) As this has some really, really valuable information in it, maybe it should become a sticky?
I'm about 4 hours from LAX so I think the only way I could do that is if there is a bus thing. I'm looking around for those parking things, which in fact would work, but are also a good $300+. If that included the car rental it'd be great, but with the car we're probably talking another $400.

It's why I'm having a hard time deciding.

Last edited by aBroadAbroad; Nov 21, 2014 at 5:29 pm
Old Nov 12, 2014, 7:37 pm
Original Poster

Has anyone had issues with cameras? I wasn't going to bring mine, but now I think I might want to. I would be bringing a Canon 5D Mark III, 300mm F/4L IS, and a 24-105mm F/4L IS.

The bag I have is EXTREMELY small. Smaller than a laptop bag in fact (though thicker). The size of the bag is 9 x 7 x 12 in.

I would like to bring my charger and extra memory cards as well, which all fit in the bag. Would I have any issues with those? Or are those all fine?

Do they open the bag to check? Just run it through the scanner?
Old Nov 12, 2014, 7:45 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

No problems with cameras. There is always a chance that they open your bag to look through it, if there is something that they can't make out on the image.

This is probably all you need to know about what you can and can't bring:

Liquids
Everything else
Old Nov 12, 2014, 7:49 pm

Programs: IHG Diamond, Delta PM, Hilton Gold, Accor Gold, Marriott Silver
The Spousal Unit flies with a very nice camera rig, and under normal circumstances, it's just through the scanner and it's fine. Only time he's had to open up the camera bag was when he got selected for random 'enhanced screening' at Paris CDG earlier this year, but that's pretty atypical.
Old Nov 12, 2014, 8:12 pm
Original Poster

Good to know. Also, are there anything that doesn't count as carryon? For instance if I wanted to carry both my camera bag and laptop bag, would that be okay? Or would there be a problem? I know sometimes some things fall under certain things that aren't considered carry on.
Old Nov 12, 2014, 8:20 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

You can have a carry-on and a personal item.

The carry-on must fit in the overhead bin. The personal item must fit under the seat in front of you.

Planes have limited space in the overhead bin, and there is often not enough for everyone, so if you are in a late boarding group, you may be required to check your carry-on at the gate ("gate-check your bag") if it does not fit under the seat in front of you.

However, I believe that you said that you were flying first class, so this won't be a problem (you will board with the first group and will probably have first-class-only dedicated bins) but it's worth keeping in mind for future trips. If you really don't want to check something (because it is fragile, or whatever) put it in a bag small enough to fit under the seat in front of you.
Old Nov 12, 2014, 8:42 pm

Programs: AGR
Re parking:
The Flyaway bus between Union Station and LAX is a real bargain. Presumably you already know how to get to the train station via Amtrak or your own car.
http://www.lawa.org/FlyAway/default.aspx
Old Nov 12, 2014, 9:40 pm
Original Poster

Yeah I have to take a bus to get to the LA station, being no train runs through the grapevine, so that's really just going to be a waste of time unfortunately.

Good to know about the camera. Glad I'll be able to take it.
Old Nov 13, 2014, 12:51 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: HH Diamond, Marriott Gold, IHG Gold, Hyatt something
Originally Posted by VegasGambler
You can have a carry-on and a personal item.

The carry-on must fit in the overhead bin. The personal item must fit under the seat in front of you.
A camera does not count as a personal item. Medical devices (Cpap machines, etc), also don't count.

You don't HAVE to put the bags in any particular place. If the bag fits, you can put it in the overhead, or under the seat in front of you. If the bins are full, you might be asked to put a smaller item under your seat. Obviously if you are in the bulkhead seat, no items are allowed on the floor.

Rules are more relaxed in First Class, as there are less passengers per bin. I'd always recommend boarding early to make sure you have bin space. It's first come, first served.
Old Nov 13, 2014, 10:36 am
Original Poster

Okay so I would bring the camera bag on as carry on, and the laptop bag as my personal item. Works for me!
Old Nov 13, 2014, 11:53 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Jaimito Cartero
A camera does not count as a personal item.
Even if it's in its own bag? Are you sure?

You don't HAVE to put the bags in any particular place. If the bag fits, you can put it in the overhead, or under the seat in front of you. If the bins are full, you might be asked to put a smaller item under your seat. Obviously if you are in the bulkhead seat, no items are allowed on the floor.
I didn't say that you had to put it there, I said that it had to fit there (because you might be required to put it there).

There is always a chance (maybe not really for F) that anyting that does not fit under the seat in front of you will have to be checked.

What happens if someone in a bulkhead seat boards near the end, and the bins are full? Where do they put their personal item? If they have a piece of luggage they will be forced to check it, but what if it's something like a large purse and there's no room for it in the bin?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.