Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Best Day to Fly [AA DFW-ICN for upgrade chance]

Search this Thread

Old Nov 5, 2014, 9:14 pm
Original Poster

Best Day to Fly [AA DFW-ICN for upgrade chance]

I have to fly from Dallas to Seoul on business. My employer does not pay for business class. I have a choice of flying Friday or Saturday (or even Sunday). I have been under the impression that most business people fly from the US to Korea on Fridays. Does anybody think that my request for an upgrade to business (using miles) is more likely to be granted on Saturday rather than Friday? Also, am I correct that out of those three days, Sunday would be the most likely day an upgrade would come through? Thanks
Old Nov 5, 2014, 9:24 pm

Programs: OZ D+ Lifetime
Is this for AA281? I would think most people would leave on Sat morning and arrive Sun afternoon so that they can rest on Sunday before meetings on Monday.

Leaving Friday morning would give them an extra day (Sun) that maybe some companies do not want to pay for the hotel fee?

Also, leaving on Sunday and arriving on Monday afternoon, well it most likely will not be for a meeting Monday evening. By the time you get out of the airport it will be dinner time and evening rush hour traffic in Seoul. So my thinking is that Sunday is not as popular for business people as compared to Fri or Sat.

But then again, you never know. Perhaps people want to enjoy their weekend in Dallas before taking a 14 hr flight.

Last edited by nme7; Nov 15, 2014 at 6:49 am
Old Nov 6, 2014, 4:38 am

Programs: KE/OZ/QF/VA
Agree with above.
From my experience, Friday Saturday seems to be busier days compare to sunday. Sunday seems to be more for holidayers. If you want an upgrade you should call before and try to organise something as soon as possible.
Old Nov 13, 2014, 12:52 pm
Moderator: American AAdvantage

Programs: AA LT Plat; HH LT Diamond, Maître-plongeur des Muccis
Welcome to FlyerTalk.

As this is about the chances of upgrading on American Airlines, your questions will be more appropriate in that airline's forum than in a destination forum. We'll move your thread for you, and add a bit to the title so members can be better informed about the nature of your question. (It's likely to eventually be merged into an existing upgrade thread as well.)

JDiver
Senior Moderator
Old Nov 13, 2014, 3:28 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP / LT PLT / 3MM, Marriott LT Gold
This flight is pretty much a slam-dunk on any given day.

Data point: Tomorrow (Friday) is showing C7.

Another data point: A colleague got upgraded for the 11/18 flight about a week ago, so 12 days in advance.
Old Nov 13, 2014, 3:36 pm

Programs: AA PLT, SPG Plat
Originally Posted by vasantn
This flight is pretty much a slam-dunk on any given day.

Data point: Tomorrow (Friday) is showing C7.

Another data point: A colleague got upgraded for the 11/18 flight about a week ago, so 12 days in advance.
Hope this is true! Flying DFW-ICN on 11/22 and ICN-DFW on 11/29. Neither request has cleared yet.
Old Nov 19, 2014, 10:31 am

Programs: DL Diamond, AA revenue negative, Bonvoy Titanium +, Avis likes me
DFW-ICN-DFW: J waitlist and other questions

MrsDallas49er and I, on separate records, have been on the upgrade list to J since booking (early June). We leave next week, and both AA and EF are showing 27+ going and 18+ open, and yet we can't seem to clear. Has anybody had any UG experience on this flight, either fast or slow? I still expect to clear, but there is a certain serenity of having your upgrade and your seat assignment that we don't have just yet.

Also, assuming we clear, which side of the J cabin is served by the native language speaker?

Any thoughts about ICN transportation from airport to Westin would also be helpful.

Thank you in advance.

Fly safe and happy holidays.
Old Nov 19, 2014, 11:11 am
GB

Programs: AA EXP, SPG PLT, Hyatt DIA, Hilton GLD
This used to be extremely easy to confirm at the time of booking in both directions, but since the merger, it has been much more difficult to confirm, but I have never missed an upgrade. You should be checking for available to sell as opposed to open seats to get a more accurate picture.
I would recommend the KAL Limousine bus to the Westin.
Old Nov 19, 2014, 11:25 am
Moderator: American AAdvantage

Programs: AA LT Plat; HH LT Diamond, Maître-plongeur des Muccis
As AA and US continue operating as separate airlines in many ways, we've moved it to the appropriate pre-merger forum; we'll most likely ultimately merge this into the upgrade chances existing thread.

/Moderator

Have you included "TCP" notes in your PNRs? Will AA be aware she is your traveling companion for upgrade status priority purposes?
Old Nov 19, 2014, 11:27 am

Originally Posted by GB
This used to be extremely easy to confirm at the time of booking in both directions, but since the merger, it has been much more difficult to confirm, but I have never missed an upgrade. You should be checking for available to sell as opposed to open seats to get a more accurate picture.
I would recommend the KAL Limousine bus to the Westin.
Thank you. J7 on EF for both flights.
Old Nov 19, 2014, 11:51 am

Originally Posted by JDiver
[COLOR="Navy"]

Have you included "TCP" notes in your PNRs? Will AA be aware she is your traveling companion for upgrade status priority purposes?
She is EXP, too. Not sure what "TCP" notes are.
Old Nov 19, 2014, 12:18 pm

Programs: AA Exec Platinum/MM, DL Gold/MM, Hilton Diamond, Accor Platinum, Hertz Presidents Circle
With loads like you're seeing, the overseas upgrades seem to be clearing from 4 days to 24 hours before departure.

Adding "TCP" or any other note in the PNR will have no effect on the automated upgrade process.
Old Nov 19, 2014, 12:48 pm

Originally Posted by Stripe
With loads like you're seeing, the overseas upgrades seem to be clearing from 4 days to 24 hours before departure.

Adding "TCP" or any other note in the PNR will have no effect on the automated upgrade process.
Thank you.
Old Nov 19, 2014, 1:01 pm

Programs: AA PLT, SPG Plat
I'm flying DFW-ICN on 11/22, and my upgrade cleared 11/18. C went from 0 to 7 that morning. Still waiting on a requested upgrade ICN-DFW 11/29.
Old Nov 19, 2014, 2:03 pm

Programs: AA CK Hilton Diamond
The right side of the plane is typically handled by the Korean language FA.

There are four basic ways to get from the airport to the Westin:

Hotel limo at about 140,000 won
Taxi at 65,000-90,000 won depending on traffic
Bus at about 15,000 won each
Rail to Seoul Station then short cab ride 8,000 each won for rail and about 5,000 for the cab.

A taxi is my usual choice.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.