Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Confusing AA Flight Booking site

Search this Thread

Old Oct 25, 2014, 9:01 pm
In memoriam
Original Poster

Programs: DL 2MM, AA MM, DL Sky Club Life, AA Admirals Club Life, Hilton Gold Life
Confusing AA Flight Booking site

Started out trying to book affordable restricted first class fares from MCO-SAN for Mar 2015

Initially the basic fare search came up with prices 100% higher than what I paid Mar 2014. Unbelieveable that they could sell all those seats at twice the price.

Not to give up, I tried calling and asked if their were any Y-Up fares or instant upgrades for Gold members ... the answer was yes but nil savings compared to restricted first fares of $1400-1800 rt

So I then tried tweeking their web site to display on schedule instead of price and the setting the filter for restricted Business or above. Presto!! out pops flight listing showing first class cabins for just a little over $900 rt. As I progressed though the continue form to purchase the tickets I end up with a screen at the end showing only the possibility of choosing coach seats !!!

I called the web help desk and they tried different techniques but in the end couldn't choose anything but coach seats. Their answer was that it must be because there is no such thing available in that market for cheap first or business class in spite of the web site showing it was bookable in the first cabin.

Their final answer was to just book the more simple way against cost instead of schedule and pay the enormously marked up fare of $1400-1800 rt.

Has anybody else noted this quirk in AA.com booking that accepts bookings against first class cabin (under schedule) but only allows seating in coach?
Old Oct 25, 2014, 9:11 pm

Programs: Marriott Lifetime Titanium.;UA 1.5MM; UA Lifetime Gold (whoppee); DL Plat
Have you tried a Matrix search? Then you MAY be able to piece together segments from that on the AA multi-city option.
Old Oct 25, 2014, 11:24 pm

Did you check prices on a different site, like Kayak?
Old Oct 26, 2014, 6:41 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA PLT (2.9+ MM), HH GLD, Hyatt Diamond, SPG PLT
Originally Posted by Lomapaseo
Started out trying to book affordable restricted first class fares from MCO-SAN for Mar 2015

Initially the basic fare search came up with prices 100% higher than what I paid Mar 2014. Unbelieveable that they could sell all those seats at twice the price.

For F bookings 6 months in advance, AA usually has high prices and then they drop c. 60 days before departure time. For example, you can book MCO-SAN round trip in mid January right now for 1100/rt.

As for the only displaying coach options glitch: I've run into it - but only when dealing w/a previously booked ticket and trying to use the online change function.
Old Oct 26, 2014, 7:43 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP, 6MM; BA GLD
Originally Posted by Lomapaseo

Initially the basic fare search came up with prices 100% higher than what I paid Mar 2014.
The price you paid for a ticket seven months ago has almost no predictive value for what the price of that same ticket will be five months from now.
Old Oct 26, 2014, 7:55 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL 1 million, AA 1 mil, HH lapsed Diamond, Marriott Plat
Originally Posted by boss315
Have you tried a Matrix search? Then you MAY be able to piece together segments from that on the AA multi-city option.
+1

I don't know why any experienced traveler would start with aa.com (or any airline web site) when bargain-hunting. Booking, sure.

AA's lowest published premium cabin fare MCO-SAN-MCO has a 14-day advance purchase but no minimum stay. ExpertFlyer is good for this stuff.

Fare basis code SA14ZNG5/WAUP

It prices all-in at $972.17.

ITA Matrix has little difficulty finding availability for itins at this fare for January travel but February and March dates are rather fewer when looking for 7-10 day stays limited to two segments in each direction. aa.com, when directed to 1-stop business/first fares on the available dates, priced at the same as Matrix, at least for the tested flight selection.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.