Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Yelled at for feet on bulkhead wall?

Search this Thread

Old Oct 17, 2014, 8:40 pm
Original Poster

Yelled at for feet on bulkhead wall?

So let me preface this discussion by saying im a long time EXP with american, and pretty much exclusively fly first class every flight im on. In addition i have a condition whereby on flights, the sitting with feet flat on the ground, or crossed, or even stretched out for too long causes serious discomfort due to bad knees. Too long being like more than 10 minutes. Oddly enough standing, or elevating my legs so theyre propped against something, or positioning them so the pressure is off of them seems to do the trick.

As a result, legroom on an aircraft does absolutely nothing for me if i cant prop my legs up against something or on something. So for the longest time, i almost always try to book the bulkhead in first class because of the wall there. I always take my shoes off, and then i position myself so that i can elevate my legs and position my feet against the wall to keep them propped up. Its the most comfortable position for me when flying domestic.

Ive seen countless others do this as well and have never once been told i cant do this, or its against faa policies, or american airlines policies, or american eagale (pre-merger). However... Twice now, since Republic Airlines started running american eagle, ive been "yelled at" for having my feet up on the wall like i was a little kid or something. Both times have been on american eagle flights run by republic airlines. Both while i was sitting by myself in seat 1a where theres only 1 seat in the row on the left of the aircraft. Today, the lady says "you cant have your feet up there." I asked why, she said "because she said so." Its as though they think we're at someone elses house and putting our feet up on a coffee table in the 60s or something, and ol' mom is yelling at you telling you its rude. Theres nothing rude about it! I need a place to prop my legs. Im not bothering anyone. Its not damaging the plane. Whats the big problem? Im sure if i were to go look up the latest FAA regulations, i would not find anything in FAR or AIM to indicated that putting feet up on a wall in the bulkhead was prohibited. This makes me very upset.

My quesion to you all is.... Who else has had this problem and am i missing something?
Old Oct 17, 2014, 8:50 pm
Suspended

Programs: UA 1K, AA EXP; Owner, Green Bay Packers
You'll find there are a number of threads decrying this practice as "disgusting" and posting shaming pictures of people doing it. The DL forum is most vociferous in this respect.

Me...? I don't judge. But please, please, please don't take off your shoes.
Old Oct 17, 2014, 9:17 pm

Programs: Delta Platinum, Hyatt Globalist
I've always thought keeping your shoes on would make the wall dirty, but I suppose potential odors are more concerning...
Old Oct 17, 2014, 9:19 pm
In Memoriam, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP/MM, DL GM, UA Platinum, HH DIA, Hyatt Explorist, IHG Platinum, Marriott Titanium, Hertz PC
I sympathize with you, OP. I'll occasionally put my feet on the bulkhead (but low, not at some absurd angle, and never with my shoes off). Whether it's wrong or not, there's no excuse for the FA to talk to you like that. I'm sure you'd be a lot happier to have complied had you been asked in a way such as "would you mind removing your feet please? I'd appreciate it" or something like that.
Old Oct 17, 2014, 9:28 pm

Programs: Delta Platinum, Hyatt Globalist
Yeah, "because I said so" is something I thought I would never have to hear after primary school.
Old Oct 17, 2014, 9:30 pm

Programs: AA-EXP; US-Silver; Marriott-Platinum; Starwood-Platinum; Hilton-Gold
Then when the walls are grimy because of shoes and foot sweat on them we all complain about that too. I've seen AA FAs also scold people for it.
Old Oct 17, 2014, 9:32 pm

(Deleted)

Last edited by AA-Flyer-SAN; Oct 17, 2014 at 9:42 pm Reason: Wrong post
Old Oct 17, 2014, 9:41 pm
Suspended

here's a wacky version, and extremely recent too (as in today) :

Old Oct 17, 2014, 9:43 pm

Originally Posted by JonNYC
here's a wacky version, and extremely recent too (as in today) :

Maybe this was for easier.....venting
Old Oct 17, 2014, 9:56 pm

Programs: AA EXP, UA GS, SPG Plat
I agree that it is disgusting. That fact that you are a 'long time EXP' doesn't make your actions any more civil. Keep your shoes on..this isn't your living room. The passenger next to you doesn't need to smell your feet when they are trying to enjoy a drink or meal. The 'feet on the bulkhead wall' move is common practice and I avoid row 3 for this very reason. I assure you the passenger next to you doesn't want to be that close to your grimy shoes or your stinky feet. While you argue that it is less rude with a single seat in 1A, you are overlooking that fact that in this scenario your feet are mere inches from the flight attendant's seat which is facing you. Kudos to the flight attendants for pointing out how inconsiderate you are being to him/her.
Old Oct 17, 2014, 10:01 pm

If I had my feet up on the bulkhead, I'd probably be in an alternate universe where I had been raised by wolves.
Old Oct 17, 2014, 10:48 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Originally Posted by Debonaire
Yeah, "because I said so" is something I thought I would never have to hear after primary school.
Then again there shouldn't be a need to explain how walls are not designed for walking and standing on
Old Oct 17, 2014, 11:25 pm

Programs: AA EXP
Just think about all those feet in the airport/airplane bathrooms and now they are on the wall. And now you touch the wall, rub against the wall getting to your seat. Or how about the people that put their feet on the magazines that you decide to read.
Kind of gross
Old Oct 18, 2014, 12:37 am

Programs: Skywards Platinum
Originally Posted by usafltg
Its as though they think we're at someone elses house and putting our feet up on a coffee table in the 60s or something, and ol' mom is yelling at you telling you its rude. Theres nothing rude about it!
Yet, this is exactly what it is about. The wall is not yours to put your feet on and you are in the equivalent of somebody else's house. It IS disgusting, rude, and a complete lack of manners, IMHO.

I don't see how being an EXP and buying a first class tickets entitles you to do this, nor how having a leg condition somehow is a valid reason for you to dirty or stink up the wall for the next passenger to enjoy.
Old Oct 18, 2014, 12:47 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA LT PLT; QR GLD; Bonvoy LT TIT
Putting your feet on the wall is rude and shows a complete lack of respect and manners. If you can't go for more than 10 minutes without elevating your feet above your head, perhaps commercial air travel is not a good option for you. That said, there's no excuse for FA's rudeness, either. You shouldn't have had your feet on the wall, and s/he should have asked/told you politely.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.