Wiki Posts
Search

lost fare due to 2 hour hold times last night

Search this Thread

Old Oct 3, 2014, 3:33 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AA PLT, SPG Gold
lost fare due to 2 hour hold times last night

Well thanks to most of you for the suggestions! I gave it a shot and called, explained my situation. The incredibly helpful agent was able to resurrect our itinerary and fare, and I immediately applied our travel vouchers to book it. I profusely thanked the agent and offered to send in an applause cert but she declined, saying she was only doing her job. I thanked her about a million times anyway, really was a much better outcome than I expected.

So in short lesson definitely learned and it's quite refreshing that despite Dougie's best efforts, there really are some exceptional AA employees out there.

And I never meant to minimize the inconvenience to everyone flying through ORD and DFW yesterday. Some of you crack me up. Appreciate all of the helpful posts though!
Old Oct 3, 2014, 3:53 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA, B6, DL, EK, EY, QR, SQ, UA, Amex Plat, Marriott Tit, HHonors Gold
I'm glad you were able to fix the situation! There really are some great AAgents out there and I'm always appreciative of them. ^^
Old Oct 3, 2014, 4:15 pm

Programs: AA Exec Platinum/MM, DL Gold/MM, Hilton Diamond, Accor Platinum, Hertz Presidents Circle
Good work on getting it restored. Several times I have had AAgents reconstruct an on-hold itinerary that has been cancelled. Even when it was me who did the cancelling.
Old Oct 3, 2014, 4:40 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: FB Silver going for Gold
Yep, nasty weather in DFW last night. An old flame of mine was flying to LIM. Flight delayed some 3 hours at DFW then they get to board, and sit onboard with rolling delays until the crew presumably timed out and the flight got CXL sometime after 2100 CDT. Didn't get rebooked until 1am. Told her to call AA and she said someone in front of her was on hold already for well over an hour.

Last edited by YVR Cockroach; Oct 3, 2014 at 5:24 pm
Old Oct 3, 2014, 5:14 pm

Programs: AAdvantage Platinum
Originally Posted by no1cub17
And I never meant to minimize the inconvenience to everyone flying through ORD and DFW yesterday. Some of you crack me up. Appreciate all of the helpful posts though!
The only reason some of us mentioned what DFW and ORD were like last night was to explain why you were on hold for so long. If that "cracks you up," well, it was an honest attempt at an explanation for what happened.

So in short lesson definitely learned and it's quite refreshing that despite Dougie's best efforts, there really are some exceptional AA employees out there.
As MAH4546 said, not everything is Doug Parker's fault.
Old Oct 3, 2014, 5:25 pm

Programs: AAdvantage Former EXP/Current PLT / Total Rewards - Diamond / Hilton HHonors - Gold
Should we mod alert to change post title to reflect you found your lost flight again? :-P

Congratulations on getting that back. I've had very few issues in the past with resurrecting an expired on-hold reservation, but generally my original fares are still available anyway.
Old Oct 3, 2014, 7:27 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AS 75K
He hasn't had enough time to taint the employee pool on the AA side yet.
Old Oct 3, 2014, 7:55 pm
nrr
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA platinum; 2MM AA, Delta Diamond, Hilton Diamond
OP notes his booking was on hold until 10 pm--I live in NYC area; every hold I've had expired at 11:59 pm EST or EDT (dependng when I set-up the itn.)
Old Oct 3, 2014, 9:23 pm
Marriott Contributor Badge

Programs: AA Platinum Pro, Hilton Diamond, Hyatt Exploralist, Marriot Silver
Originally Posted by CDKing
He hasn't had enough time to taint the employee pool on the AA side yet.
We should really stop interjecting Dougie when he's not the issue in the specific scenario. What you really mean to say is that despite the OP's irresponsibility and self-inflicted mistake, an exceptional AA employee made a good customer service decision.
Old Oct 3, 2014, 9:37 pm

Originally Posted by cmd320
This is actually unlikely. If it were held for 24 hours by the OP and couldn't be reproduced, then that fare likely expired at midnight due to advanced purchase rules.

50 day AP?. Doubtful unless a premium cabin
Old Oct 3, 2014, 9:37 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AA PLT, SPG Gold
Originally Posted by josmul123
Should we mod alert to change post title to reflect you found your lost flight again? :-P

Congratulations on getting that back. I've had very few issues in the past with resurrecting an expired on-hold reservation, but generally my original fares are still available anyway.
This was the first time I'd "tried" this - honestly was so pleasantly shocked that the agent actually brought it back ... I was speechless. Really made our day and I was sure to let her know!

Originally Posted by nrr
OP notes his booking was on hold until 10 pm--I live in NYC area; every hold I've had expired at 11:59 pm EST or EDT (dependng when I set-up the itn.)
It was on hold until 11:59 Central. I meant that I called at 10 PM (knowing that the hold expired at 11:59), requested a callback in an estimated hour and a half, but didn't get called until 12:30 AM. Sorry - while typing my frustrated "rant" I probably didn't make the timeline completely clear.

Originally Posted by SFOPhD
We should really stop interjecting Dougie when he's not the issue in the specific scenario.
Now where's the fun in that?

And I think this will end well - but of course since this itinerary won't be officially ticketed until the folks in Milton, FL get around to processing this for us - I'll be just a bit nervous until I get the confirmation email. For now though it seems as though the agent today did us a solid. So to the phone agent who helped us out today, THANK YOU!!!

I still have the lingering question - if last night I'd gone ahead and just paid for this ticket, then called AA today and explained that I intended to use the voucher but couldn't get through, would they have let me cancel the credit card payment today and apply the voucher instead? Of course now that I've had a day to think about it, I definitely would've done that - we fly AA so much that it wouldn't at all have been hard to use the voucher over the next year. Just wanted to use it before we "forgot" about it.

Last edited by no1cub17; Oct 3, 2014 at 9:44 pm
Old Oct 3, 2014, 11:51 pm

Programs: AAdvantage Former EXP/Current PLT / Total Rewards - Diamond / Hilton HHonors - Gold
I still have the lingering question - if last night I'd gone ahead and just paid for this ticket, then called AA today and explained that I intended to use the voucher but couldn't get through, would they have let me cancel the credit card payment today and apply the voucher instead? Of course now that I've had a day to think about it, I definitely would've done that - we fly AA so much that it wouldn't at all have been hard to use the voucher over the next year. Just wanted to use it before we "forgot" about it.
I dug this up:
AA Refunds and Change of Payment

Code:
CFOP may be requested for:
Cash to credit card.
Credit card to cash or check.
One credit card to another credit card.
Vouchers are not permitted.
CFOP processing fee of $50.00 USD per ticket.
Looks like a no-go if you had done it. Even if i was eligible, it would have incurred a $50 CFOP fee.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.