Community
Wiki Posts
Search

DFW to HNL and return--Seats for Best View

Search this Thread

Old Apr 16, 2003, 8:16 pm
Original Poster

Location: Flooded out of Metairie, LA--moved to Baton Rouge! AA EXP/2MM; AirTran Elite; DL Nobody; Marriott Uber Plat; *Wood Gold; Maker's Mark Ambassador
DFW to HNL and return--Seats for Best View

Which side of the plane would give the best view of Hawaii? The trip to Hawaii is into HNL and the return is from OGG.

The seats are in F on a 763. The trip is in October so I am guessing it will have the new seat configuration.

Arrival in Hawaii is at 1:10 PM and departure is at 5:10 PM.

------------------
MetairieTraveler

If I have to fly, then give me a Maker's Mark and water.

(edited to add arrival and departure times and then again to change the departure airport to OGG)

[This message has been edited by MetairieTraveler (edited 04-16-2003).]

[This message has been edited by MetairieTraveler (edited 04-16-2003).]
Old Apr 16, 2003, 9:14 pm

Going into HNL without a doubt request a seat on the left side of the aircraft. You will get some awesome views.

Coming back it doesn't matter. You will be so pissed off you are leaving paradise the only thing you will want to do is drink, drink, and drink every ounce of liquor on the plane.

Seriously coming out of OGG I would request a seat on the left side of the aircraft. You will get some quick views of some of the smaller islands but for only a few seconds.
Old Apr 16, 2003, 9:43 pm
Moderator: Coupon Connection & S.P.A.M

Programs: Destination Unknown, TSA Disparager Diamond (LTDD)
I second the left side suggestion.

Coming into HNL, one almost always lands on the Reef Runway and the island view is much better than the ocean view.
Old Apr 16, 2003, 9:55 pm

I am thinking the right side. When flying into HNL from KOA sitting on the right side of the plane allows views of Maui, Lanai, Molokai, and Honolulu. I believe that is also true when coming from the mainland; however it has been awhile since I have flown into HNL from the mainland as I usually go straight to KOA.

Seeing how I have never flown out of OGG to the mainland, I am not sure, but I would guess being on the right side of the plane again would yield the best views because the airport is on the north side of the island.

My $0.02.

Uncle Robin
Old Apr 16, 2003, 10:54 pm

Programs: AA EXP
Thanks for starting this thread! As luck would have it, I have a window seat on the left side of the plane for my flight to HNL coming next month.

I'm a Hawaii virgin.
Old Apr 17, 2003, 12:10 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Platinum MM; DL Silver; IHG Diamond Ambassador; Hilton Gold; Marriott Gold
Sorry to add to the confusion, but both times I've flown to Hawaii -- once from DFW on AA in 11/01 and the other from IAH on CO in 3/02 -- the right side of the aircraft has been optimal for viewing on approach to HNL. In both cases, our aircraft hugged the southwest side of Oahu affording spectacular views of Diamond Head and Waikiki before making 150 degree turns on final. So who knows? If there are open seats in first (improbable, I know) ask the captain when you board the aircraft which side would be optimal for viewing and move.
Old Apr 17, 2003, 12:32 am

Programs: Air France FP. A rave ato'a ia'u te manureva. Haere maru!
The last time I flew into HNL was on ANZ from LAX at night, I sat on the right side and it was spectacular!. The lights of Honolulu coming into view, the flashing lights of the runway in the distance. I kept thinking that was the best landing I'd seen in a while. I can't imagine what was on the other side in terms of viewing.
Old Apr 17, 2003, 7:49 am

Programs: AA PLT, AAdv since Day One
Depends what you want to see.

If you want to see Diamond Head, Hawaii Kai and up the winward coast to Kailua (if the sky is clear), and Waikiki then the right side is the place to be. Regardless of the runway used the approach is from the NE to SW off the east side of the island out over the water but sometimes further inland around Hawaii Kai. They then make a right turn south of Barber's Point and approach the airport from the southwest or west depending on the runway used. On final approach, from the left side, you can usually get a good view of Pearl Harbor, Pearl City and the mountains behind. But for a "virgin" the best bet is the right side. Just prayer for no low clouds.

[This message has been edited by inlanikai (edited 04-17-2003).]
Old Apr 17, 2003, 9:16 am

If you sit on the left side you see Ft Worth, if you sit on the right you see Dallas. I perfer the left!
Old Apr 17, 2003, 9:45 am

Programs: AA EXP
Hmmm.... at least I get to see FW!!! How exciting!
Old Apr 17, 2003, 4:19 pm

Programs: AA Gold, UA Silver, Marriott Plat
The routine approach I've experienced with Diamond Head and Waikiki on the starboard (right) side.
Old Apr 17, 2003, 4:31 pm
Suspended

Programs: AA EXP, BA GLD, FT < 30 y
There are two approaches to HNL, in my experiences. One you fly over with Maui and Molokai on the right and maybe Lana'i. Then on approach you fly with East Oahu and Waikiki on the right side.

The other is over Kailua and East Oahu (Waialae), turning over Waikiki, in which case either side is good.

For final on both cases, you usually fly paralell to Waianae, Ko'Olina, etc... and the left side gives the best view, but these are usually the Ewa cane fields and Hickam Air Force Base.

So I would say definitely sit on the right hand side. Depending on the pilot there'll be an announcement about the islands and everyone gets excited and starts taking pictures out the right hand windows. Truly, it is one of the most wonderful moments in flying since everyone is so glad to be in Hawaii.

Have a great trip!
Old Apr 17, 2003, 5:08 pm

Great question. How about approaches into OGG?
Old Apr 17, 2003, 6:11 pm

LQDNITIN, The normal approach to OGG from the mainland is to fly the downwind leg on the Mt.Haleakala side of the airport, which would favor a seat on the left side. A reverse of direction for final approach leaves good views from either side, albeit from a lower altitude.

Flights from HNL should be on left side of plane for views of the neighbor islands.
Old Apr 17, 2003, 7:01 pm

Thanks, UAALL !

Time to change seat assignments on the outbound.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.