Wiki Posts
Search

Applewatch American Airlines App

Search this Thread

Old Sep 9, 2014, 12:16 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AAdvantage Platinum, Asiana Club Silver, Flying Blue Ivory
Cool Applewatch American Airlines App

Watching the Apple Live Event, I just think I saw the American Airlines app on there.

Seems like a fantastic place for the app to be. Checking the gate on your wrist. Just using your watch to show your boarding pass.

Anybody else intrigued by AA as launch partner for this device?
Old Sep 9, 2014, 12:23 pm

Programs: UA GS, Marriott Titanium
AA App on the new Apple Watch!

I saw the AA logo on the new Apple watch in the keynote. Boarding passes on your watch perhaps?? Totally excited.
Old Sep 9, 2014, 1:59 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Jumbo mas
Originally Posted by AtlanticX
Watching the Apple Live Event, I just think I saw the American Airlines app on there.

Seems like a fantastic place for the app to be. Checking the gate on your wrist. Just using your watch to show your boarding pass.

Anybody else intrigued by AA as launch partner for this device?
No.

Well, I'm not "anybody."
Old Sep 9, 2014, 2:02 pm

Programs: UA Gold, VX Silver, HH Gold, Hyatt Gold, JPM Palladium
For those like me who didn't watch the keynote

Not too surprisingly, Starwood will also very likely have an Apple Watch app.

http://www.geekwire.com/2014/one-thing-apple-watch/

Last edited by FTcadence; Sep 9, 2014 at 2:09 pm
Old Sep 9, 2014, 2:22 pm

Programs: UA Gold/*G, Marriott/SPG Gold Elite
And supposedly Starwood will offer NFC hotel room keys! A wave of your Watch in front of the door knob will unlock it. I'm not sure if I heard it correctly but I think the first chain that gets it is W Hotels.

Maybe same NFC technology for boarding pass? Just wave your watch over the counter?

(So cool!)

Last edited by foppishbum; Sep 9, 2014 at 2:24 pm Reason: Added info.
Old Sep 9, 2014, 3:30 pm

Programs: AA PLT Pro, Marriott Lifetime PLT
Perhaps NFC, but maybe iBeacon? AA already announced it will be starting iBeacon/BLE trials at DFW.

http://www.futuretravelexperience.co...s-dfw-airport/
Old Sep 9, 2014, 3:35 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA 1M
Impressive.
Old Sep 9, 2014, 3:38 pm

Programs: Lots of faux metal
Did you read the part that the watch costs $349 and you have to have an iPhone?

Isn't it really too hard to pull out your phone?
Old Sep 9, 2014, 3:39 pm

Programs: Delta Platinum, Hyatt Globalist
While it may only save a couple of seconds of pulling out the phone, I am excited about the potential to use a watch for this kind of thing. This might come especially handy during travel as your hands are often occupied with luggage (yes, I can let go of the luggage, but what if I want to keep walking?).
Old Sep 9, 2014, 4:28 pm

So, you are willing to pay $349 (+ tax) and $199 (+ tax) for the watch and iPhone (if you don't have an iPhone or need the latest/greatest) to save a couple seconds? In California you are taxed on the pre-discount cost of the phone so all in for the two items is around $615.

It is a solution to a problem that doesn't exist. As if paper or cell phone BPs aren't good enough.
Old Sep 9, 2014, 5:18 pm

Programs: DL Kettle| HH Pot
Originally Posted by skunker
So, you are willing to pay $349 (+ tax) and $199 (+ tax) for the watch and iPhone (if you don't have an iPhone or need the latest/greatest) to save a couple seconds? In California you are taxed on the pre-discount cost of the phone so all in for the two items is around $615.

It is a solution to a problem that doesn't exist. As if paper or cell phone BPs aren't good enough.

Its the most capable "watch" yet. I might see how it works in the stores before I buy but I'm definitely intrigued.

Also I hate cell phone BPs.
Old Sep 9, 2014, 5:24 pm

Programs: UA GS, Marriott Titanium
I don't think there would be a lot of people shelling out money JUST to buy it for this feature, but if you are getting it anyways for the product itself, it is one really cool feature.

I hate wasting paper on boarding passes, and carrying luggage and my phone in hand (especially when I have my headphones plugged in) and then often handing over my phone to scan the bp can be annoying (with the headphones attached).

The possibility to scan my watch is a great feature to have. Rolling up to TSA pre check with your id, quickly scan your bp on the sensor from the watch, and be on your way.

For those of us who may consider getting the 5.5 in iPhone, it helps justify the size increase. I honestly don't know if I'll have a need for my ipad mini any more.
Old Sep 9, 2014, 6:48 pm

Programs: UA 1k MM, AA EXP MM, Marriott Bonvoy Lifetime Titanium, HHonors Diamond, Avis First (oh boy)
it's not about ONE feature

This is the same sort of comment that people trotted out during the original iPhone introduction.

And we all know how right those commenters were :roll eyes:

I will already have an iPhone6 and will be getting the iWatch for a wide range of uses - this will be just one of them.

Will i make the occasional incremental stay at the hotel property that features NFC checkin using my smart watch? Of course. Because i have the ability to choose where I stay when i travel. And i'm not the only one.

Some chains (W, for example) might decide that this is enough of a differentiating attractor to install advanced NFC locks so that people like me will choose them when i'm in a particular town instead of a Hyatt or Marriott. And they will quickly pay off their investment.

Eventually, the other hotels will follow suit.

Unless you still insist on staying in hotels with solid metal keys because those plastic cards are just a fad...
Old Sep 9, 2014, 8:32 pm

Programs: Skywards Platinum

Imagine a world of all things being "good enough" and nobody wanting anything better. What a way to stifle innovation. I like technological innovation and knowing that things can be better, and I am glad I live in a part of the world where others do too.

Most people aren't buying the watch and phone to "save a couple seconds", it is far more than that, and if you can't see any of that, then it is understandable how your narrow field of view finds things to be good enough.

Originally Posted by corbetti
This is the same sort of comment that people trotted out during the original iPhone introduction.

And we all know how right those commenters were :roll eyes:
Exactly!
Old Sep 9, 2014, 10:26 pm

Sure guys, just talk yourself into it. Your iPhone will do the same thing. There is a huge difference between the original iPhone coming out and this watch. The original iPhone couldn't send MMS or copy and paste or use 3G. Remember that? Yet, because it looked different people bought it and people talked themselves into accepting it's faults ("I'll just email the photos, one at a time.") People did the same thing with the original Razr. That thing used to sell for $1,000 because it was so cool looking but in reality it was all looks with zero features.

If the watch worked without needing the phone then I wouldn't be saying this. Chaining the watch to the phone is a mistake and obvious money grab. It doesn't matter how many tie-ins they create. I'll use my phone or printed BPs for international flights and keep my keycard in pocket.

PS: I've owned a 3Gs and currently own a 5 so I'm not some Android fanboy.

Last edited by skunker; Sep 9, 2014 at 10:39 pm

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.