Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Discontinued Programs/Partners > American Airlines | AAdvantage (Pre-Consolidation with USAir)
Reload this Page >

Will AA Match CO's Latest Move to Restructure Elite Qualification?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Sep 16, 2003, 5:22 pm
Suspended
Original Poster

Location: Promoted to Chairman of the Most Wonderful Continental Airlines Highly Valuable OnePass Program Security and Ideological Purity Bureau

As per http://www.continental.com/onepass/n...0030910_02.asp CO's Elite Qualification Scheme will change effective January 1, 2004? Will AA match CO's move, and if so, when?

------------------
Has YOUR airline won an award lately?
Old Sep 16, 2003, 5:26 pm
Suspended

AA's system already rewards full fare flyers and helps them reach elite sooner and/or by flying less miles. No need to change it and I personally believe they won't. CO can hang alone on this one (and with their "alliance" partner DL.)
Old Sep 16, 2003, 5:28 pm

Programs: QF WP, AA EXP
We will have to see, but I kind of doubt it. Continental tends to screw their loyal flyers more than AA does. Sure, some of the other Oneworld partners, especially BA have done this, but I don't see it as a trend. If UA does, AA might follow, but I really don't feel they will at this point.

How is this going to affect you, Avek?
Old Sep 16, 2003, 5:34 pm
Suspended

I go by things like which airline reversed use-it-or-loose-it?
Old Sep 16, 2003, 5:47 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AA 2MM Yay!, UA MM, Costco General Member
I am really disappointed by the fact that this thread reopened. I especially liked the comments on the UA thread when it was closed. I refer it to everyone.
Old Sep 16, 2003, 5:51 pm

<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by avek00:
As per http://www.continental.com/onepass/n...0030910_02.asp CO's Elite Qualification Scheme will change effective January 1, 2004? Will AA match CO's move, and if so, when?

</font>
no, why on Earth would they? They INVENTED Q-points, for crying out loud. They have done the math and the way they've got suits them quite nicely. EXP used to be Q-points only. The deliberate choice was made not to have PLT and GLD go Q-points only, but instead to make all levels attainable by either method.

AA was a follower for once, in 2002, with use-it-or-lose-it, and that proved to be folly. Here's to betting they've learned that lesson, and decided to stick to leading...
Old Sep 16, 2003, 5:56 pm

<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by avek00:
</font>
NO.

[This message has been edited by ynewman (edited 09-16-2003).]
Old Sep 16, 2003, 6:02 pm
Suspended

------------------
Has YOUR airline screwed it's most loyal customers lately?
Old Sep 16, 2003, 6:07 pm

<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by JonNYC:
I go by things like which airline reversed use-it-or-loose-it?</font>
Loose it...or Loosen it...or lose it...or what?
Old Sep 16, 2003, 6:16 pm

Programs: AA GLD 1MM, Delta GLD, Hilton GLD
Is NW going to follow this or is everyone going to switch from CO to worldperks? What gives? I give CO credit, at a time when you need all the customers you can get they are trying to run them off as fast as they can. To many CO elites, welcome to AA!

------------------
dallasflyer
Old Sep 16, 2003, 6:34 pm

One thing I've learned in a few short years of elite status is "never say never" when it comes to FF and other loyalty program changes. AS just announced some changes to its' MP program, though IMHO they weren't as radical and cheapening as some had feared.

I'm in the camp that says AA probably won't pork us anymore this year, as they've already cheapened things enough this summer with the Aadvantage award changes.

As far as AA FC upgrade competition goes, I'd guess that it's lessening somewhat with the increased 500 mile upgrade costs and radically decreased service level. But, hey, I'm also betting that the number of AC members is dwindling, too. Silly me.
Old Sep 16, 2003, 6:38 pm

Programs: AA PLT, AAdv since Day One
There once was an airline named CO
Whose passengers would bluster and blow
"We now have a red carpet"
"And so we can park it"
"In Y before anyone knows"
Old Sep 16, 2003, 7:02 pm

Programs: AA GLD 1MM, Delta GLD, Hilton GLD
CO move is very good for AA. More FF to fill AA planes as they leave CO for AA. All AA has to do is give them some elite benefits and some capacity controlled miles. Seems like a good deal for AA. This may be the worst decision ever made by the third version of CO, the first two already have gone under.

------------------
dallasflyer
Old Sep 16, 2003, 7:38 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA LT Gold, DL SM, HY Disc, Marriott LT Gold
If they do, then what's the point? My new assignment is Chicago to Indy. Both my office and my home are just a little closer to Midway than O'Hare, so:

* Southwest Pros: $72 refundable one-way walk-up, 4 RT = 1 Free domestic ticket, 25 RT = Companion Pass
* Southwest Cons: Open seating & most flights to Chicago are full one-stops from Florida = wasted time just to get an aisle seat.

* American Cons: $144 7-day nonrefundable one-way is capacity controlled, majority of flights are RJs, 12.5 RT needed for 1 free domestic ticket
* American Pros for elites: Exit row seats, elite segment qualification on 15 RT
* American Pros for non-elites: 1" more pitch on the two non-RJ flights

If I can qualify for Platinum on 60 segments in 2004, then I'm flying American. If I can't, then I'm keeping my lifetime Gold for my non-IND travel, flying Southwest and going for a Companion Pass.

It's that simple.
Old Sep 16, 2003, 7:56 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by ElmhurstNick:
If they do, then what's the point? My new assignment is Chicago to Indy. Both my office and my home are just a little closer to Midway than O'Hare . . .</font>
It's a 3 hour drive from Midway to Monument Circle - I'm surprised anyone puts up with the hassles of air travel instead of just driving.

Of course, air travel is much safer (statistically) than driving, and I-65 is one boring drive.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.