Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Discontinued Programs/Partners > American Airlines | AAdvantage (Pre-Consolidation with USAir)
Reload this Page >

EXP wanting to use SWU for J->F on BA ticket flight number, AA metal

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Sep 5, 2014, 10:36 am
Moderator: GLBT travelers, India-based Airlines and India; FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: Yes!

I have a J booking: JFK-LHR-ORD issued by BA on 125 ticket stock with BA flight numbers.

Outbound is on AA metal with BA flight numbers (BA 1511 i.e. AA 100 in J on JFK-LHR.) Can I use one of my SWU's to upgrade this segment to F? Also, although I am an EXP, the booking currently contains my BA Gold number (as the return flight LHR-ORD is BA metal, and I want to use Avios to upgrade that to F as well.)

So, can I have multiple FFP numbers in the same booking? The AA EXP number for JFK-LHR segment, and the BA one for LHR-ORD? And thus use an SWU for the AA segment, even if it is issued on a BA ticket? Alternatively try in the FL at JFK, if not possible in advance?

Mods: Please feel free to merge/move. I did a search but did not find anything very relevant. Apologies in advance!
Old Sep 5, 2014, 10:53 am

Programs: AA EXP/5 MM, BA Blue Bayou, HH LT Diamond
Under the rules you must be on an AA operated and marketed flight to use SWUs,. You can ask for an exception at checkin. You don't need to have an AA FF number to use SWUs, but you can't have multiple FF numbers in a single booking, but you can try to switch the number in the record as you travel to get the flights to post where you want them to. Be prepared for disappointment as the first number associated with the booking is "sticky" and while it will look like you changed the FF number successfully it may post to the initial number. Getting it changed after posting is difficult, less so if the incorrect posting is to AA.
Old Sep 5, 2014, 10:55 am
Suspended

Thumbs up

Originally Posted by pauleeepaul
Under the rules you must be on an AA operated and marketed flight to use SWUs,. You can ask for an exception at checkin. You don't need to have an AA FF number to use SWUs, but you can't have multiple FF numbers in a single booking, but you can try to switch the number in the record as you travel to get the flights to post where you want them to. Be prepared for disappointment as the first number associated with the booking is "sticky" and while it will look like you changed the FF number successfully it may post to the initial number. Getting it changed after posting is difficult, less so if the incorrect posting is to AA.
Great answers.
Old Sep 5, 2014, 11:03 am
Moderator: GLBT travelers, India-based Airlines and India; FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: Yes!
Thanks pauleeepaul. ^

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.