Community
Wiki Posts
Search

American Airlines Miami-To-Paris Flight Diverted To Boston

Search this Thread

Old Aug 29, 2014, 4:21 pm

Programs: DL DM/2MM, MR Ambassador, National EE
Originally Posted by sdsearch
But what about airlines removing all conventionally reclining seats and replacing them with articulating seats (like AA did on the 738)?

Unfortunately for the people flying on this diverted plane, I don't think that AA has put articulating seats on the 763.

In case you don't know: Articulating seats are ones where you recline by scooting your own seat forward, and thus the recline is to a significant degree into your space, not the space of the person behind you. The top of the seat may still recline some toward the person behind you, which can impact laptop space, but middle won't move, so it doesn't affect your knee space.

IMHO articulating seats throughout coach (and AA has them in 738 first class cabin too now) are the solution, not eliminating recline.

Btw, the amount of recline for each seat is not a constant; it's settable by the airline. So there's lots of gradation between recline and no recline.
I have posted this on other sites... these seats eliminate 99% of the problem as the seat in front of you only tilts back a small amount from the top of the seat. Want to recline? Great, you sacrifice your own space instead of reclining your seat in to someone else's... problem solved. Moving forward all airline seats should be like this.
Old Aug 29, 2014, 5:18 pm

Programs: AA Platinum, Hyatt Platinum
Originally Posted by krlcomm
I have posted this on other sites... these seats eliminate 99% of the problem as the seat in front of you only tilts back a small amount from the top of the seat. Want to recline? Great, you sacrifice your own space instead of reclining your seat in to someone else's... problem solved. Moving forward all airline seats should be like this.
And passengers almost universally HATE articulating recline seats. Look at the Southwest board for how poorly the Evolve seating has performed (excluding the 737-800s which have far more legroom). CX is getting rid of their fixed-shell seating for longhaul Y.

Sitting upright for hours on end is not comfortable. Articulated recline is also extremely uncomfortable for most people.

This whole recline vs. no-recline debate is stupid. If you can't handle people reclining into your space (when done politely, making sure they don't bust your laptop, and making sure seats are upright during mealtimes on long haul flights) you have a few options

1. Pay the person in front of you not to recline - just do it and stop complaining
2. Fly Spirit Airlines as their seats don't recline
3. Fly private or J or F
4. Don't go at all

If we want to blame cramped seating on pax who don't want to pay higher fares for airlines offering more comfortable Y seating arrangements, we should also be blaming those who can't handle recline for not being willing to pay the passenger in front or the airline. You can't have your cake and eat it too.
Old Aug 29, 2014, 6:35 pm

Originally Posted by N639DL
More people on the plane = lower cost for all.

As a BOS area resident, what was reported on local news: man is from France and is 60 years old, was arrested by Mass State Police on arrival and charged w/ obstructing the flight crew. He was enraged when the lady in front of him reclined, and refused to bring it back up when he asked. Then he grabbed the arm of a flight attendant. Air marshals involved and had to restrain him. He was taken to Mass General Hospital b/c of pre-existing medical conditions which were high blood pressure (bet it was even higher with the situation) and diabetes, apparently the marshals wouldn't let him have insulin.

It's funny - towards the end, they talked about how stressed fliers are these days and have less room and such...but that's not an excuse to take such aggressive, immature, and arrogant action like this.
Diabetics go irrational when suffering LOW SUGAR = hypoglycema. You noted that he wanted to take insulin. That would drop his sugar levels to go lower. Perhaps he was already hypoglycemic and did not know if he was coming or going ?
Old Aug 29, 2014, 7:50 pm

Originally Posted by krlcomm
Want to recline? Great, you sacrifice your own space instead of reclining your seat in to someone else's... problem solved.
Then we'll have people going ballistic on the pax in front of them for not reclining.
Old Aug 29, 2014, 10:38 pm
HMO

Originally Posted by tom_MN
My observation is that about 10% of passengers recline seats. Most passengers do not want this feature available. Even transatlatic overnight in coach most passengers do not recline.
Your perception is different of mine.
I have the impression that at least 2/3 pax recline their seat, but I might be wrong. It may be more
Old Aug 29, 2014, 11:57 pm

Programs: TK M&S, BAEC, EK
Originally Posted by zerolife

Also yes, fares are lower than 30 or so years ago but I credit this to advances in air travel. You ain't paying the same price for a computer than 30 years ago either. You are getting a more powerful computer for a lot less nowadays.
Thank you. I think your point at least partly dilutes the arguments made for simply responding to demand curves and similar kinds of stimuli.
Old Aug 30, 2014, 2:39 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA 2MM (LT-PLT, PPro for this year)
Originally Posted by zerolife
Also yes, fares are lower than 30 or so years ago but I credit this to advances in air travel. You ain't paying the same price for a computer than 30 years ago either. You are getting a more powerful computer for a lot less nowadays.
Price of a barrel of oil, not adjusted for inflation and adjusted for CPI, annual monthly peak:
1974: $7.09 ($34.26 in current $)
1984: $26.11 ($59.87 in current $)
1994: $16.27 ($26.16 in current $)
2004: $46.14 ($58.19 in current $)
2014: $96.89

Oil prices by http://www.eia.gov/dnav/pet/hist/Lea...F000000__3&f=M
Inflation adjustments via: http://data.bls.gov/cgi-bin/cpicalc.pl

I'd be very curious what the relative fuel efficiency of newer jets is; it would have to be quite a bit higher to make up for the increase in fuel costs.
Old Aug 30, 2014, 4:46 am

Programs: UA *G 1MM LT United Club & Global Entry
Originally Posted by tom_MN
If there is the possibility of an upgrade to a non-reclining section of coach I am not aware of it but I would pay for it.
Originally Posted by Rus925
Exit rows
Bulkheads seats in Y also have the same advantage of not having someone recline into your space.

SunLover
Old Aug 30, 2014, 5:07 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Lifetime PLT, AS MVPG, HH Diamond, NCL Platinum Plus, MSC Diamond
Originally Posted by SunLover
Bulkheads seats in Y also have the same advantage of not having someone recline into your space.

SunLover
Yes, but they often have less legroom because there is no seat to put your legs under.
Also, no underseat storage.
Old Aug 30, 2014, 5:54 am

Programs: UA *G 1MM LT United Club & Global Entry
Originally Posted by mvoight
Yes, but they often have less legroom because there is no seat to put your legs under.
I was basically responding to tom_MN as not being reclined into seems important to him, but some other bulkhead row advantages are:

* You are closer to the front of the plane (first off)
* The window pax not having to disturb the other pax when getting up
* First served during the drink and meal services

That said - I prefer exit rows myself so ultimately YMMV.

SunLover
Old Aug 30, 2014, 5:59 am

Programs: DL DM/2MM, MR Ambassador, National EE
Originally Posted by mvoight
Going to partially disagree with you on this post, there is plenty of legroom in the coach bulkhead row and I'm 6'4". No storage but legroom isn't a problem for me. And the post above about people hating articulating seats? Of course they hate them because the seat takes away their legroom and not someone else's!
Old Aug 30, 2014, 10:14 am

Sitting upright for hours on end is not comfortable. Articulated recline is also extremely uncomfortable for most people.

If we want to blame cramped seating on pax who don't want to pay higher fares for airlines offering more comfortable Y seating arrangements, we should also be blaming those who can't handle recline for not being willing to pay the passenger in front or the airline. You can't have your cake and eat it too.

Take your own advice and if you can't stand no-recline seats or articulating seats, then pay the price for business or first. You can't have your cake and eat it too.

The day for the demise of reclining seats is here.
Old Aug 30, 2014, 10:47 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA 2MM (LT-PLT, PPro for this year)
Originally Posted by SpartyAir
Take your own advice and if you can't stand no-recline seats or articulating seats, then pay the price for business or first. You can't have your cake and eat it too.

Basing that on what, two incidents that happened close together?

The most reviled of LCCs on this side of the Atlantic removed them a while ago, and nobody moved to follow.

A tiny number of them on the other side of the Atlantic, including THEIR most reviled, removed them, with no majors following.

Sounds like wishful thinking to me.

--

Several other places have mentioned articulating seats -- IMO the newer generation of semi-articulating seats (e.g. on the AA 738 Y and F) are much better than the first generation "shell" style articulating seats (e.g. on CX Y) and I'm pretty sure we'll see more airlines adopting them. OTOH, they only help a bit with the reduced legroom for over-height people behind, rather than eliminating the issue entirely as the shell ones do.
Old Aug 30, 2014, 11:55 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by SpartyAir

Maybe you're right, but I disagree.

Delta added extra recline to its EC seats (extra legroom MCE equivalent), and then advertised the extra recline as a benefit. That tells me that passengers value reclining seats, and airline executives know it.

Sure, there are some sociopaths/psychopaths out there who occasionally act out on a common carrier, and it's unfortunate when that happens. But a couple of incidents of air rage by some mental defectives isn't going to cause airlines to prevent all seats from reclining. Not a chance.
Old Aug 30, 2014, 12:55 pm

Originally Posted by FWAAA
But a couple of incidents of air rage by some mental defectives isn't going to cause airlines to prevent all seats from reclining. Not a chance.
only the prospect of making some extra money will cause the airline execs to reduce coach seats to 28-inch pitch with no recline...

oh, wait.. that's already been done by some airlines.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.