Community
Wiki Posts
Search

American Airlines Miami-To-Paris Flight Diverted To Boston

Search this Thread

Old Aug 29, 2014, 12:05 pm

I would hate it if full service airlines removed reclining seats and it would be one more reason to choose a LCC instead.
Old Aug 29, 2014, 1:16 pm

Programs: AA Exec Plat
Originally Posted by travelinmanS
There is so much price signaling and monopolistic behavior by the airline oligarchy today that your demand curve analogy no longer makes sense. The reduction of pitch to inhumane levels is another reason why the US government should step in and force the airlines to accept at least a few regulations. After all they are using our tax dollars to provide for their necessary infrastructure and technology. The least they could do is provide a seat that doesn't threaten blood clots or fights every flight you take. The current state of the airline industry in the USA is indicative of the current state of society in general, everyone chasing the maximization of profits no matter what the consequences. This will end well for no one.
Inhumane? Hyperbole much?
Old Aug 29, 2014, 1:22 pm

Programs: UA Silver; Global Entry
Originally Posted by NotDuncan
[/B]

Bolding mine. Why is it always the airlines that are to blame for this situation? They're simply reacting to a demand curve: passengers have shown over and over, all they want is the cheapest possible fare.

This is the end result of that.
Exactly! Any pax traveling by air should by now know what he is paying for. Period. You want more leg room, buy a business or first class ticket. If not, just shut up and put up with what you purchased - limited leg room.
Old Aug 29, 2014, 1:24 pm

Programs: AA EXP
Originally Posted by Stripy
In case you failed to understand it my point was that if airlines were to agree on a "max load" per aircraft type then they could still make the exact same profit they're making now by charging a bit more. Where would pax have to go if they didn't like the new prices?
You realize that collusion to affect pricing is illegal, right?
Old Aug 29, 2014, 1:26 pm

Programs: AA EXP
Originally Posted by bodapaty
Exactly! Any pax traveling by air should by now know what he is paying for. Period. You want more leg room, buy a business or first class ticket. If not, just shut up and put up with what you purchased - limited leg room.
You don't even have to go all the way to F or J prices to get more legroom. MCE is not that much more.
Old Aug 29, 2014, 1:51 pm

Programs: UA 1K, HH LTD
It's quite simple IMHO. If you buy a cheap ticket, you have to put up with limited space and the guy in front of you reclining into it. He bought a ticket as well and has every right to recline. Want more space? Pay for exit row or Y+ seats. Want even more space? Buy a J or F ticket! Your company doesn't pay for that? Make something of yourself and find a better job! But please, quit the whining about those bad bad airlines. They are in the business of making a profit. If you don't understand this, maybe that's the reason you are back there in cattle class...
Old Aug 29, 2014, 1:53 pm

Originally Posted by telabadmanwot
I would hate it if full service airlines removed reclining seats and it would be one more reason to choose a LCC instead.
I agree, it's cramped enough as it is, and if the seat in front of me reclines, and I can recline, I don't see any net loss of space between us.

Aren't some LCCs removing the ability to recline?

I would love it for the FA's to include a statement that the person in front of you has the right to recline (if they can), and so do you (if you can). Obviously some exit row seats can't, but every time I see that on seat selection pages, they almost always state "limited or no recline", and if it doesn't, that's an issue between you and the airline, not me - or any person in front of you.
Old Aug 29, 2014, 2:10 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by upinsmoke
You don't even have to go all the way to F or J prices to get more legroom. MCE is not that much more.
True, but recall that the recent United flight dust-up involved passengers who were sitting in E+, so extra legroom is no guarantee that everyone will keep their cool and live in peace and harmony.
Old Aug 29, 2014, 2:19 pm

Programs: AA 2MM LT PLT; AS MVP Gold75k; HHonors Diamond; IHG PLT
Airlines would happily replace Y with J, E+ on TATL, TPAC IF there was sufficient demand, passengers willing to pay the premium.

As others have said earlier, US airlines understand consumer behavior, giving us what we are willing to pay for - even if it means discomfort, inconvenience.
Old Aug 29, 2014, 2:24 pm

Programs: AA EXP/2.9mm | Marriott LT Titanium 1.6k nights | NEXUS
Originally Posted by Spoddy
What this will simply boil down to is the airlines taking away the ability to recline.

Removing the reasons for the complaining, instead of addressing them.
I’m with you. I don’t see the added comfort in a recline so I don’t do it. Just eliminate the option.
Old Aug 29, 2014, 2:33 pm

Programs: Thai Gold, UA, AA, SWA
It is a fallacy to believe that the passengers are always asking for the lowest price. Price is dictated by competition among airlines. Not everyone has the luxury to travel in J (as some J flyers would let you believe). I wonder how many J passengers really pay out of their pocket to buy those seats. So the Y passengers are stuck with whatever the airline is giving to them.

Has anyone noticed that it is the US airlines that have these seat reclining issues. I don't see (or have heard of) similar incidents on say JAL, ANA, Singapore, Cathay Pacific.
Old Aug 29, 2014, 2:43 pm

Programs: AA 2MM LT PLT; AS MVP Gold75k; HHonors Diamond; IHG PLT
Originally Posted by duniawala
It is a fallacy to believe that the passengers are always asking for the lowest price. Price is dictated by competition among airlines. Not everyone has the luxury to travel in J (as some J flyers would let you believe). I wonder how many J passengers really pay out of their pocket to buy those seats. So the Y passengers are stuck with whatever the airline is giving to them.

Has anyone noticed that it is the US airlines that have these seat reclining issues. I don't see (or have heard of) similar incidents on say JAL, ANA, Singapore, Cathay Pacific.
That may be true for J, but not Y+.
Old Aug 29, 2014, 3:01 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by telabadmanwot
But what about airlines removing all conventionally reclining seats and replacing them with articulating seats (like AA did on the 738)?

Unfortunately for the people flying on this diverted plane, I don't think that AA has put articulating seats on the 763.

In case you don't know: Articulating seats are ones where you recline by scooting your own seat forward, and thus the recline is to a significant degree into your space, not the space of the person behind you. The top of the seat may still recline some toward the person behind you, which can impact laptop space, but middle won't move, so it doesn't affect your knee space.

IMHO articulating seats throughout coach (and AA has them in 738 first class cabin too now) are the solution, not eliminating recline.

Btw, the amount of recline for each seat is not a constant; it's settable by the airline. So there's lots of gradation between recline and no recline.
Old Aug 29, 2014, 3:33 pm

Programs: Tegridy Elite
I guess the FT crew had a Freudian slip when titling the link for this as a Must-Read story: "Deja Vu: Another Plane Diverts After Passengers Fight Over Tight to Recline"
Old Aug 29, 2014, 3:53 pm

Programs: Marriott Titanium, National EE
Originally Posted by NotDuncan
[/B]

Bolding mine. Why is it always the airlines that are to blame for this situation? They're simply reacting to a demand curve: passengers have shown over and over, all they want is the cheapest possible fare.

This is the end result of that.
Gotta disagree with you. Fares have gone up in recent years despite cutbacks in services. There are few competition as most airport is primary served by only one or two airlines. There are a bunch of low fare airlines but their routes are very limited. Living near a United hub, more often than not I realize that my only option is United, especially for business trips when you don't have the option to do connections.

Also yes, fares are lower than 30 or so years ago but I credit this to advances in air travel. You ain't paying the same price for a computer than 30 years ago either. You are getting a more powerful computer for a lot less nowadays.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.