Community
Wiki Posts
Search

American Airlines Miami-To-Paris Flight Diverted To Boston

Search this Thread

Old Aug 29, 2014, 8:02 am

Programs: AA PPRO, Marriott/Hilton Gold, AMX-Plat, Global Entry
Originally Posted by frank_10b
I have seen it many times where the crew will try and esclate a situation to make the pass seem like he is "disobeying crew instructions? when they are only asking a difficult and unwelcome question of the crew.

Does anyone know if he was in the new cramped extra seat economy that AA is cramming into the back of Y 777?
I wonder if this is gonna happen more often on the new AA econ configs.
Maybe AA or other airlines could be the first to install Ryan Air's Michael O'Leary standing seats on Y transatlantic so nobody gets to recline in the back. I bet customers are asking for lower prices!
It's a 763
Old Aug 29, 2014, 8:04 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Lifetime PLT, AS MVPG, HH Diamond, NCL Platinum Plus, MSC Diamond
Originally Posted by controller1
We really don't know enough of the details of this diversion or the diversion UA took earlier this week for another similar issue.

However, if the passengers were not seated in F or in MCE (Economy Plus for the UA flight), could this be an indication that passengers are finally at their boiling point when it comes to airlines seeing how many more seats they can add to a flight before . . .
Wasn't the AA flight in question a 763?
When was the last time Y seating space has been reduced on the AA 763?
Why would the "boiling point" have been reached now instead of when the space was reduced?
Old Aug 29, 2014, 8:07 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Lifetime PLT, AS MVPG, HH Diamond, NCL Platinum Plus, MSC Diamond
Originally Posted by TrojanHorse
End result is record profits
Who are you trying to kid ?
But this passenger was on the same aircraft that was used when the airline was losing tons of money. I don't think AA's 763 seating space has been reduced recently.
Old Aug 29, 2014, 8:16 am

Location: EWR Ionosphere Club, LAX Clipper Club, Still Traveling Global, yearly BIS miles
Programs: EAL Silver Wings, I-Club, Flying Colonels DL, WorldPass PLat from the olde Meatball and PE SMARTbank
Originally Posted by mvoight
But this passenger was on the same aircraft that was used when the airline was losing tons of money. I don't think AA's 763 seating space has been reduced recently.
There is a difference in Y when the plane is full 100% and when the plane is at 70 or even 80%. More people knocking knees in the aisles on the way to the bathrooms so the aisle seated pass move into the center seated pass space etc.

With standing lean-to "seating" for pass I think that while the aisles will fill up with more pass at least the recline issues will be resolved and the airlines with more pass in Y will of course lower prices for everyone.
Old Aug 29, 2014, 8:33 am

Programs: "But, I'm a GLOBALIST guest...."
... just make everyone stand if you can't play nice.
Old Aug 29, 2014, 8:34 am

Programs: AA PLTPRO, 2MM, Bonvoy PLT, NYT Monday crossword puzzle solver extraordinaire
Originally Posted by Stripy
Because they're the ones who have squeezed that many seats into planes. Period. Yes, passengers have enabled this behaviour by showing a willingness to book cheap seats at the expense of legroom/comfort but it's still the airlines who are actually acting on this.

Airlines are constant shoving the "safety" issue down our throats when it suits them so why not in this case? Why don't airlines say that it isn't "safe" to cram that many people so close together in a pressurised metal/composite tube and agree on a max capacity (based on aircraft type) that doesn't involve treating pax like livestock (or worse!). Wouldn't that help address the issue?
Originally Posted by TrojanHorse
End result is record profits
Who are you trying to kid ?
Yes, airlines are responding to the demand curve put in place by their customers, ie., the lowest fare, with no regard to personal comfort. Thanks for reinforcing my point I already made.

And wait....do mean to tell me airlines are in business to make a profit??? Who knew?!
Old Aug 29, 2014, 9:59 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by NotDuncan
Yes, airlines are responding to the demand curve put in place by their customers, ie., the lowest fare, with no regard to personal comfort. Thanks for reinforcing my point I already made.

And wait....do mean to tell me airlines are in business to make a profit??? Who knew?!
There is so much price signaling and monopolistic behavior by the airline oligarchy today that your demand curve analogy no longer makes sense. The reduction of pitch to inhumane levels is another reason why the US government should step in and force the airlines to accept at least a few regulations. After all they are using our tax dollars to provide for their necessary infrastructure and technology. The least they could do is provide a seat that doesn't threaten blood clots or fights every flight you take. The current state of the airline industry in the USA is indicative of the current state of society in general, everyone chasing the maximization of profits no matter what the consequences. This will end well for no one.
Old Aug 29, 2014, 10:35 am

Programs: AA Gold, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by travelinmanS
another reason why the US government should step in and force the airlines to accept at least a few regulations. After all they are using our tax dollars to provide for their necessary infrastructure and technology.
The US airlines are already heavily regulated. There is no need to impose any additional regulations. People who are so inconvenienced by low seat pitch should be advised to buy seats in a premium cabin. It won't cost any more than a coach seat in the days before the industry deregulation, when only the rich could afford to fly.

ADDED: http://www.theatlantic.com/business/...oticed/273506/
"In 1974, it was illegal for an airline to charge less than $1,442 in inflation-adjusted dollars for a flight between New York City and Los Angeles."

Last edited by grrizzli; Aug 29, 2014 at 10:38 am Reason: a quote added
Old Aug 29, 2014, 10:48 am

My observation is that about 10% of passengers recline seats. Most passengers do not want this feature available. Even transatlatic overnight in coach most passengers do not recline.

If there is the possibility of an upgrade to a non-reclining section of coach I am not aware of it but I would pay for it.
Old Aug 29, 2014, 10:53 am

What this will simply boil down to is the airlines taking away the ability to recline.

Removing the reasons for the complaining, instead of addressing them.
Old Aug 29, 2014, 11:00 am

Programs: DL PM, Marriott Gold
Originally Posted by bchandler02
Yes and no ... Consumers are to blame for accepting it and voting with their wallets.

It's similar to the bag fees discussion. Some argue that fees are too high. 1) consumers pay it. 2) if they were free (and reliable) would people check more and carry on less, thus saving overhead space?
Some of us do vote with our wallets. We opt for SWA when we're gonna haul tons of stuff. DL when one checked bag per person is sufficient.

On the larger issue, I do think US airlines having 31" pitch on TATL or longer flights is "past the breaking point." Delta's pre-tax income for the June 2014 quarter was $1.4 billion, so there probably is some fiscal room to increase pitch one inch on A330s without the airline going bust. But would they? hahahahaha.

Edit: Of course, if they offered 32 pitch in Y, they'd have to do 35 in Y+ for people to bother. My experience with Y+ on the A333 was that it sucked, I was dubious that it was even a 34" pitch.
Old Aug 29, 2014, 11:11 am

Programs: DL PM, Marriott Gold
Why would the "boiling point" have been reached now instead of when the space was reduced?
Load factors? Airlines are posting amazing numbers. Which are good for the bottom line (and for greenhouse gas per pax), but bad for comfort. In the past one felt at least an OK possibility of scoring an empty seat next to one, even if it was maybe a 20-25% chance, it helped with the feeling of a treat once in a while, or a relief.

Those days are gone. And pax are getting both taller and fatter (the second is a variable that admittedly is more in the pax control, but in reality our whole culture is getting fatter). Seats are getting smaller (witness the 777 10 abreast longhaul), pitch is 31 (or 30). It really is miserable, and when Y is often 100% full, it is an endurance run, not a travel experience.
Old Aug 29, 2014, 11:32 am

Programs: "But, I'm a GLOBALIST guest...."
Originally Posted by RaflW
It really is miserable, and when Y is often 100% full, it is an endurance run, not a travel experience.
Yet people will still whine when their flight is 20 dollars more. "I paid 200 bucks for this flight 15 years ago... why is it 220?!?!11!1one!one"
Old Aug 29, 2014, 11:48 am

Programs: Bonvoy Ambassador, AA Plat Pro, DL Gold, UA*S, Hilton Gold, Hyatt Explorist
Originally Posted by tom_MN
If there is the possibility of an upgrade to a non-reclining section of coach I am not aware of it but I would pay for it.
Exit rows

Originally Posted by austin_modern
Yet people will still whine when their flight is 20 dollars more. "I paid 200 bucks for this flight 15 years ago... why is it 220?!?!11!1one!one"
whining ≠ not buying
Old Aug 29, 2014, 12:02 pm

Programs: AA EXP
Originally Posted by NotDuncan

Rolling your eyes, failing to address my question and sarcasm really don't do much for your argument.

In case you failed to understand it my point was that if airlines were to agree on a "max load" per aircraft type then they could still make the exact same profit they're making now by charging a bit more. Where would pax have to go if they didn't like the new prices?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.