Community
Wiki Posts
Search

LAX - Labor Day Weekend Travel - When would you check-in?

Search this Thread

Old Aug 27, 2003, 10:25 am
sk3
Suspended
Original Poster

Programs: AA Gold
LAX - Labor Day Weekend Travel - When would you check-in?

I'm wondering what you all think due to recent threads advising early check-ins.

I'm flying out on a 5:12 PM Friday LAX-HNL flight and AA says to check in 2 hours prior to flight time for travel to Hawaii.

I'm not checking bags, I'm a Plat, in coach and haven't requested upgrade. I read here it's best to check in online but I'm under the impression (probably faulty) that I'd stand a better chance for an op-upgrade if I checked in at the First Class line. (Presently Coach still shows 30 available seats on AA.com, so would dreams of an op-upgrade be delusional anyway?)

What would you all do? And from past experiences, how crowded do you think LAX will be Friday afternoon? (before a 3 day weekend).

Thanks in advance.
Old Aug 27, 2003, 10:48 am

Location: DFW, 3.5 MM, AA EXP, LIFETIME PLATINUM, MARRIOTT LIFETIME PLATINUM, STARWOOD AMBASSADOR 223 NIGHTS, AND LIFETIME GOLD, HILTON DIAMOND, NATIONAL EXECUTIVE ELITE
LAX will be a ZOO at 3 p.m. that day - you can count on it. Yes, I agree with AA on this one - I would get there 2 hrs. early that day.

Yes, I agree - with 30 open seats in Y - you can just keep dreaming of that op-upgrade..)).

Aloha and have a good trip.

Old Aug 27, 2003, 11:10 am

Programs: AA Lifetime Gold
Should I expect LAX to be a zoo early Sunday morning that weekend? I have a 7:00am flight to DFW (with a connection to MSY). I'm Platinum and will be able to use the First Class check-in, but will security be a mess in Terminal 4? I normally don't fly out on such early departures, so I'm curious what might be in store for me.

------------------
AAdvantage Platinum Member, Mileage Plus Member, SkyMiles Member, OnePass Member, WorldPerks Member, Dividend Miles Member, FlightFund Member, MileagePlan Member, Radisson Goldpoints, Hilton Honors, Marriott Rewards, Starwood
Old Aug 27, 2003, 11:18 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: FB Silver going for Gold
<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by sk3:
I'm under the impression (probably faulty) that I'd stand a better chance for an op-upgrade if I checked in at the First Class line. </font>
Doubt it. AA appears to be fairly egalitarian (or classist?) about selecting for opups. It appears to go primarily along lines of status and not how you checked in. Opups are done at the gate anyway (by computer?) You usually find out when your BP is rejected.
Old Aug 27, 2003, 11:19 am
sk3
Suspended
Original Poster

Programs: AA Gold
Thanks freeupgrade.

Have to share this - just went back to AA.com and decided to go ahead and request the upgrade - I pressed "Submit Reguest' and that was brought to an error screen. So I went back in the reservation - and presto - the upgrade was confirmed! Wow.

Problem is I only have 8 stickers in my account and I had already requested an upgrade for the return (each way takes 6). Being that I plan on flying mainly int'l (and I'm cheap!) I've been hesitant to purchase stickers. So new question: can I unrequest the upgrade for the return without jeopardizing my preferred exit row seat in coach?
Old Aug 27, 2003, 7:01 pm

<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by sk3:
TProblem is I only have 8 stickers in my account and I had already requested an upgrade for the return (each way takes 6). Being that I plan on flying mainly int'l (and I'm cheap!) I've been hesitant to purchase stickers. So new question: can I unrequest the upgrade for the return without jeopardizing my preferred exit row seat in coach? </font>
Yes, you cannot do it online afaik. You need to call AA to do it. If I were you, I would do it asap so that someone else does not grab the exit seat in the meantime.

Enjoy Hawaii.

IADtoLAX, based on my recent experiences T4 at the day/time you mentioned should be a breeze. However, the self-serve check-in kiosks will probably be quicker than the FC check-in. Printing your BP at home will be quicker.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.