Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Is it worth it to upgrade to F on JFK-EZE route?

Search this Thread

Old Aug 23, 2014, 7:57 am

Programs: UA1K, LH GM, AA EXP->GM
Originally Posted by ysolde
..As I said, this is a total first world problem..
No it's not - the old C seats are terrible with folks climbing over you (even it it is your SO) and hard like wooden bench ... ug-ing US-EZE is one of the best use for eVIPs ever IMHO.

It's just not a trivial upgrade - due to the 772 being terrible in Biz, the competition is substantial.
Old Aug 23, 2014, 8:06 am

Location: DL: Silver; AA: EX PLAT; UA: Silver; HY: DIA; HH: DIA; MR: TIT
Originally Posted by weero
No it's not
OK but let's put that in perspective of REAL problems: Malaria, malnutrition, worker exploitation, unsanitary water, etc.

Even the woes of coach are a first world problem!
Old Aug 23, 2014, 11:30 am

Programs: AS, Hyatt
Returned from EZE in F on the 777-200 a while back, with terrible food and indifferent service, but the seat and space really are MUCH better than in J.

P.S. See y'all at Cow Do ... and if I'm not smiling it's cuz we'll be back in Y all night while you suffer those first world problems
Old Aug 23, 2014, 5:31 pm

Programs: AA EXP(4mm), DL Gold, UA Gold (1mm), HH Diamond, Bonvoy Amb(l/t Titanium). Former EA/PA elite
Definitely worth the upgrade from J to F IMHO. The seat comfort and space alone make it worthwhile for such a long flight. Ironically, I'll be upgrading from JFK to EZE next week too. Looking forward to it!!
Old Aug 24, 2014, 12:24 am

Programs: AA EXP...couple hotels and cars too
I tend to fly to EU- out of LAX and DFW to LHR and FRA. I will not fly on the angled seats if I need to sleep. I'll buy Biz and SWU to first. Absolutely. In fact I wont book 772 unless I can confirm the upgraded. I'll book the 77W if there is a chance I'll fly in biz

(yes, first world problem...)

So IMO it is definitely worth it. And I'll often not dine or do the all at once, just so I can get 6 hours of decent sleep.
Old Aug 25, 2014, 7:13 am

Originally Posted by LINDEGR
OK but let's put that in perspective of REAL problems: Malaria, malnutrition, worker exploitation, unsanitary water, etc.
Which carrier are you normally flying ?

Sounds like quite a price for loyalty if you ask me ...
Old Aug 26, 2014, 7:38 am

Programs: AA EXP 1.0mm, not sure where I am with hotels these days
Originally Posted by ysolde
I need honest opinions on this. We will be flying the JFK-EZE route in J soon. Have done it before, and it was comfortable enough, though the seats are not lie-flat, so sleeping was not as comfortable as in other J cabins.

Would it be worth it for me (just me, the spousal unit says he is not interested) to upgrade to F? It's a long night flight. Are the seats that much better? Is service markedly better? Would I be that much more comfortable? Or is this a flight where J is good enough?

I know, I know. First world problems.
We flew the 777 to GRU about two years ago in J on the overnight, and my wife, daughter and son in-law all slept fine.
Old Aug 26, 2014, 7:37 pm

Originally Posted by george 3
We flew the 777 to GRU about two years ago in J on the overnight, and my wife, daughter and son in-law all slept fine.
In which cabin?

The spinning chair in F is great for sleeping.
Old Aug 27, 2014, 10:51 am

Programs: AA PLTPRO, HH Diamond, IHG Plat, Marriott Plat, Hyatt Globalist
Given the difference in seating, I think it's worth it. However, if you sleep well enough on the slanted J seat and you're traveling with your SO, it's not so bad if you get the 2-across seats.

Traveling alone, it's much better of a proposition to be in F.

I've done both and one thing I've noticed is that I really just want to sleep given it's a night flight. The attentive service in F is actually a bit slow for me (I'm one of those anxious types) and I prefer the usually fast and efficient J service so I can eat, recline, and zonk out until EZE.
Old Aug 27, 2014, 12:16 pm

Programs: AA EXP 1.0mm, not sure where I am with hotels these days
Originally Posted by weero
In which cabin?

The spinning chair in F is great for sleeping.
In business class. Not full recline, but reclined enough that I could sleep comfortably on my side (and I'm 6'5").
Old Aug 27, 2014, 12:36 pm

Programs: Double OWE (AA EXP, QF Plat), FI Gold
Living in SCL, I sometimes will fly to EZE and connect to a 772 in F for the long-haul (many times the price difference is only a few hundred dollars more than J), and I agree with everything said:
- More space
- Flat bed with comfortable pillow and duvet (which you can use as a mattress and then use the blanket for cover)
- PJs
- Swivel seat (I like to face the windows at 90 to direction of flight during dinner, even though recline is blocked at that angle)
- On the flights to EZE (or connections in JFK, ORD, and JFK), access to Flagship check-in and lounges where available
- Crappy IFE
- VERY hit-or-miss service; I often think J is better

A little off-topic, but tangentially relevant:

For J I'll take a 763 over the old 772, given the middle pair of seats so that solo pax don't have to climb over/be climbed over during flight. Not an option on EZE-JFK, I know, but just an opinion.

Also, if you're not against positioning flights and connections, as of early September the refurbished 772, with the new 1-2-1 J cabin, is being introduced on the DFW-SCL route, so that's an additional option to/from the Southern Cone if you're ever not able to get out of J, or flying Y and want to upgrade to the new J seats. It's not a permanent addition to that route, but I did just change my plans in Nov to be on the "new" 772 instead of the 763. Fingers crossed there are no substitutions...
Old Aug 28, 2014, 10:26 am

Originally Posted by george 3
In business class. Not full recline, but reclined enough that I could sleep comfortably on my side (and I'm 6'5").
There isn't any good J seat on the 772 with perhaps the exception of the first row. Either you have to climb over someone or someone will crawl over you during the flight.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.