Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Complimentary Platinum Status Until 12/31 (targeted)

Search this Thread

Old Aug 22, 2014, 10:12 pm

Programs: DL PM; IHG PlatAmb; Hilton Dia; Marriott Plat; Hyatt Discoverist
Originally Posted by inpd
Originally Posted by LRD
Just for reference, here are some pages to explore:

Gold offer
Gold offer with 10 stickers

Platinum offer
Platinum offer with 20 stickers
It asks for a promo code. What do you enter?

Thanks.
If you were targeted for this, you'd get a promo code in the email. If you did not receive the email, you cannot take advantage.
Old Aug 24, 2014, 2:37 pm

Programs: AA Platinum, Hyatt Globalist, Hilton Diamond, Bonvoy Titanium
Do Citi Executive 10k MQMs count?

Received this same offer. Terms aren't clear on whether you just need to earn the 12k MQMs or MQPs anyway you can or if it needs to be actual flying? A tweet to American only got me a very vague "here's a link" answer. Does anyone have any experience with the challenge or whether the MQMs from the credit card spending have counted in the past?

Link to the offer terms here:

https://www.aa.com/content/images/em...PLT_LEGAL.html
Old Aug 24, 2014, 3:11 pm

Programs: DL PM
Does anyone have any idea how do they decide who to target?

I don't mean to be intrusive, but can anyone who was targeted share any details you feel might be pertinent (i.e. your travel patterns, expensive/premium tickets, credit card holder, have high-level status at DL or UA, etc.). I can infer from the above reference to "MQMs" and "MQPs" rather than "EQMs" and "EQPs" that some DL elites may have been targeted, but how would they find out about someone's status on another (non-partner) airline?
Old Aug 24, 2014, 3:40 pm

Originally Posted by TXguy
Does anyone have any idea how do they decide who to target?

I don't mean to be intrusive, but can anyone who was targeted share any details you feel might be pertinent (i.e. your travel patterns, expensive/premium tickets, credit card holder, have high-level status at DL or UA, etc.). I can infer from the above reference to "MQMs" and "MQPs" rather than "EQMs" and "EQPs" that some DL elites may have been targeted, but how would they find out about someone's status on another (non-partner) airline?
In my case I think they're just giving me a nudge to get status with them. Have flown 10 segments and 10,800 MQMs and 9,100 MQPs year to day, sprinkled over the first few months of the year. Last 2 segments were on an Alaska codeshare which I credited to AA. I've never had elite with any airline, ever. I have two Executive MasterCards for 100k bonus each.
Old Aug 24, 2014, 5:27 pm

Originally Posted by mromero07
In my case I think they're just giving me a nudge to get status with them. Have flown 10 segments and 10,800 MQMs and 9,100 MQPs year to day, sprinkled over the first few months of the year. Last 2 segments were on an Alaska codeshare which I credited to AA. I've never had elite with any airline, ever. I have two Executive MasterCards for 100k bonus each.
Why Plat and not Gold?

I have far more segments, miles, and points than you this year, and none on codeshares, plus the Exec credit card and I'd love to be a Plat or even just to get the 10 free stickers that come with the Gold offer.

Before I first became Gold, I was flying weekly or every other week for awhile on fairly high fares and was never targeted - I had to sit out a few months of very frequent flights as a kettle (though that certainly was not this year, so I'm comparing apples and oranges).

They never do much of anything for me other than tell me I shouldn't even get the benefits I do (such as an employee rudely telling me I had to pay for even one checked bag and walking away from me when I corrected her). I love the tangible benefits of my low-level status and strongly disagree with those who say there are few benefits beyond those conferred by a credit card; even flying with Gold benefits is vastly, vastly different from flying with no status.

But I still question why I should be loyal with them giving higher status and 20 stickers to those who fly less with fewer EQPs than EQMs, the increase in rude behavior from employees, etc.

No offense to you is intended by this; please take your status and stickers and enjoy it!

Last edited by TXguy; Aug 24, 2014 at 5:38 pm
Old Aug 24, 2014, 5:35 pm

Why Plat and not Gold?

I have far more segments, miles, and points than you this year, and none on codeshares, plus the Exec credit card and I'd love to be a Plat.

Before I first became Gold, I was flying weekly or every other week for awhile on fairly high fares and was never targeted - I had to sit out a few months of very frequent flights as a kettle (though that certainly was not this year, so I'm comparing apples and oranges).

They never do much of anything for me other than tell me I shouldn't even get the benefits I do (such as an employee rudely telling me I had to pay for even one checked bag and walking away from me when I corrected her). I love the tangible benefits of my low-level status and strongly disagree with those who say there are few benefits beyond those conferred by a credit card; even flying with Gold benefits is vastly, vastly different from flying with no status. But I still question why I should be loyal.
No clue. I guess if we all knew we'd all be EXP! None taken. I hear where you're coming from. Wish I knew what they base their decisions on. I hope it's not totally random like "please clutter the TSA precheck line and delay those who actually pay for it, so you can have a taste of what it's like and hopefully buy it too".

Last edited by mromero07; Aug 24, 2014 at 5:52 pm
Old Aug 25, 2014, 8:03 am

Why Plat and not Gold?

I have far more segments, miles, and points than you this year, and none on codeshares, plus the Exec credit card and I'd love to be a Plat or even just to get the 10 free stickers that come with the Gold offer.

They never do much of anything for me other than tell me I shouldn't even get the benefits I do (such as an employee rudely telling me I had to pay for even one checked bag and walking away from me when I corrected her). I love the tangible benefits of my low-level status and strongly disagree with those who say there are few benefits beyond those conferred by a credit card; even flying with Gold benefits is vastly, vastly different from flying with no status.

But I still question why I should be loyal with them giving higher status and 20 stickers to those who fly less with fewer EQPs than EQMs, the increase in rude behavior from employees, etc.

No offense to you is intended by this; please take your status and stickers and enjoy it!
The only other thing I can think of that might play into the equation is that you having so much more segments and EQMs might be playing against you. They might see you as simply already "committed" to flying them, so no need to offer you status since they might think you will fly them anyway. If you were to stop flying them maybe they would throw it to you?
Old Aug 28, 2014, 10:07 am

Programs: AA EXP, UA Gold 1MM, Hilton Gold, Marriott Titanium, Hertz Five Star
Extending Expiration of Offers?

I signed up for a similar offer that expires on 15 Sep. I will not make the mileage required until 23 Sep with a TPA-MIA-LHR-MAA segment. Does anyone have any experience in getting these offers extended. I have already purchased the ticket and am moving away from *A. Thanks
Old Aug 29, 2014, 8:58 pm
In Memoriam, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP/MM, DL GM, UA Platinum, HH DIA, Hyatt Explorist, IHG Platinum, Marriott Titanium, Hertz PC
My brother got the offer but for AAdvantage Gold. He has one revenue AA flight this year (a P fare from BWI-MIA) plus some award flights. They included 10 stickers as well.

Nothing for me despite far, far more AA travel
Old Aug 31, 2014, 12:03 pm

Originally Posted by CMK10
My brother got the offer but for AAdvantage Gold. He has one revenue AA flight this year (a P fare from BWI-MIA) plus some award flights. They included 10 stickers as well.

Nothing for me despite far, far more AA travel
I should fly AA because....why exactly?
Old Aug 31, 2014, 4:39 pm

Programs: Delta Platinum, Hyatt Globalist
For those of you upset at this: have you tried to reach out to AA to see whether they are aware of the side-effect of these promotions?
Old Sep 1, 2014, 7:48 am

Originally Posted by Debonaire
For those of you upset at this: have you tried to reach out to AA to see whether they are aware of the side-effect of these promotions?
What would be the point? They don't care.

I'm tempted to write a lengthy complaint letter about this, recent staff rudeness (though it's a bit late to complain about some of it), and a few other things but am pretty sure the only result would be the letter being tossed into the trash or my account being flagged as a complainer.

Funny thing is I have tons to complain about now but have never actually complained before and have had little reason to until the past few months. Now I have many reasons.

Last edited by TXguy; Sep 1, 2014 at 7:55 am
Old Sep 1, 2014, 11:27 am

Programs: Delta Platinum, Hyatt Globalist
What would be the point? They don't care.

I'm tempted to write a lengthy complaint letter about this, recent staff rudeness (though it's a bit late to complain about some of it), and a few other things but am pretty sure the only result would be the letter being tossed into the trash or my account being flagged as a complainer.

Funny thing is I have tons to complain about now but have never actually complained before and have had little reason to until the past few months. Now I have many reasons.
Let us know how it goes if you do end up sending that complaint letter!
Old Sep 1, 2014, 12:15 pm

Originally Posted by Debonaire
Let us know how it goes if you do end up sending that complaint letter!
I already know it would be an exercise in futility so I won't; they've made clear they don't care!

Seriously, though, has anyone else noticed service in general taking a turn for the worse over the past few months? I had one complaint-worthy experience all of last year. I had none this year until June. Since June, I have had complaint-worthy experiences on every trip.

Last edited by TXguy; Sep 1, 2014 at 12:26 pm
Old Sep 1, 2014, 1:18 pm

Programs: AA Gold
I already know it would be an exercise in futility so I won't; they've made clear they don't care!

Seriously, though, has anyone else noticed service in general taking a turn for the worse over the past few months? I had one complaint-worthy experience all of last year. I had none this year until June. Since June, I have had complaint-worthy experiences on every trip.
I, for one, haven't. I've flown through CLT and from DFW, with both US and AA flight crews, check in agents, and GAs. No problems to report for me - but maybe I'm the exception, not the rule. All in all it's been fine.

I'm hoping I get one of these: my gold status runs out this year and I won't get it again until probably December next year . Gold isn't much but it's still something

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.