Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Question for FT MD's on AA

Search this Thread

Old Aug 22, 2003, 10:45 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP 3 MM; Marriott Bonvoy Lifetime Titanium Elite
As for the good sammaritan law, keep in mind that on an international flight over international waters, you probably cannot rely on the U.S. good samaritan law, even if the aircraft is U.S. registered. I am not 100% sure aobut this, but, as a lawyer, that would be the first issue I would want to look into.
Old Aug 22, 2003, 1:56 pm

I've been called on to provide assistance perhaps a dozen or more times. Airlines are now far better equipped to handle these types of emergencies than they have in the past and I'v had the experience of previous patients to hone my airborne skills.
On one of our trips across the big pond to Dakar from JFK a number of years ago, we had a patient who developed angina as we approached Africa. The crew and captain were very concerned and called ahead to have an ambulance standing by, but the ground staff had no concern for the sick passenger, first unloaded all the passengers before they would consider the passenger. When I asked why they didn't immediately take the passenger off rather than waiting until all passengers had left, I was told that it is common for A/C to land at Dakar with sick passengers, as it was on the air route to Mecca. These patients were ill before they set off on their trip, and wanted to at least visit Mecca before they died. Ground personnel told me if they took their time, these passengers would die before they got there.
Another time we were traveling across the big pond from JFK and a patient developed severe angina. I told the Captain the patient needed to have appropriate medical care as soon as possible. The Captain responded by stating that he would need to dump most of the fuel the DC-10 was carrying in order to land at Gander, and then told me the cost of fuel. The Captain also suggested perhaps the patient was not as sick as I thought and we could easily continue. I responded that the Captain was in charge of this DC-10, but my recommendations were to land the aircraft as soon as possible so as the ill patient could have proper medical care. Faced with this advice in no uncertain terms, the Captain dumped the fuel and had an ambulance stand for us to land at Gander. I later heard from the patient that he had an MI that was well treated at Gander.

I have no concern about stepping forward; however, I realize there may be someone on board more able to handle some of these emergencies than I. I have even stepped forward before even being asked.

When I lived in Los Angeles and flew TWA, one of the TWA volunteers (Captain Randy Kramer) who greeted passengers would always introduce me to the cabin staff as one of the airline's most valuable customers. A number of times, one of the F/As would come over to me and ask me to help with a medical problem, rather than asking for help over the PA: I always felt obliged to help in any way I could.

On some occasions the airline would send me a letter of thanks and add some points to my frequent flyer account. Other times, grateful flight attendants and passengers would be my reward.

About a month ago, I was called upon to tend to a sick passenger on a transcon AA 757 flight into JFK. One of the passengers leaned over to me while I was tending the passenger and said, Doc, do you think he (the sick passenger) has SARS-you know he was sitting next to me, and do you think I will be OK)?!! No, the passenger didn't have SARS!!
Old Aug 22, 2003, 3:55 pm

Programs: AA Plat, 1MM
You did the right thing by not administering meds without vitals and a sketchy med hx. Had a similar situation a year ago on an SFO-SNA flight. After reaching cruise, a lady in coach claimed she'd had an ectopic the day before and was feeling faint. She also had apparently AMA'd out of the hospital. Captain wanted to know if we needed to divert. Had no BP cuff on board, but cap refill was normal and pedal pulses were intact, so I suggested shock position and O2 (did I mention this was after a 5-hour ground delay in SFO?). I told the captain to continue and I'd monitor her periodically. Instead of the Class of Service bump she was probably hoping for, FAs laid her out in the aisle in the front of coach (MD-80), we elevated her legs, covered her in blankets, and strapped on the O2. Obviously we were fortunate that we weren't over water and could have diverted any time if needed. Paramedics took her off in SNA after First deplaned, FA gave me a bottle of champagne, and received a nice letter and 5000 bonus miles from AA a week later.

As I deplaned, I quipped, "Oh, I'm not a doctor.....but I stayed at a Holiday Inn last night."

[This message has been edited by SNAGold (edited 08-22-2003).]
Old Aug 22, 2003, 6:31 pm

<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by Doppy:
From your profile, it doesn't look like you're a doctor. Did you just get a perscription from your doctor?d</font>
Not a doc, just a poor old small business owner. There are times when operating same make life a 24/7 high stress environment, so I keep a stash around to help me sleep and keep life in perspective. Nothing like ten megs to take the edge off once in awhile. The rx here is nice, but it's cheaper to just pick up a 90 pack in Mexico.
Old Aug 22, 2003, 8:13 pm

Programs: Exxon Mobil Supertanker, WN Double Peanut, Accor Golden Cockroach
<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by SNAGold:
As I deplaned, I quipped, "Oh, I'm not a doctor.....but I stayed at a Holiday Inn last night."
</font>
Old Aug 22, 2003, 8:37 pm
Original Poster

I have no problem prescribing Ambien for friends of mine who are international FT's. It's a God-send. If someone has mild air travel anxiety, I'll give them a prescription for a &lt;&lt;&lt;few&gt;&gt;&gt; tablets of lorazepam, diazepam, clonazepam, temazepam or whatever I feel like dispensing that day. LOL kidding. I'll dispense whatever is appropriate. This is for people I know.... please no emails asking me for scripts. If I meet you in person someday at a FT get together, that would be different.
Old Aug 23, 2003, 2:34 am

Programs: AA EXP; UA 1P
<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by SNAGold:
As I deplaned, I quipped, "Oh, I'm not a doctor.....but I stayed at a Holiday Inn last night." </font>

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.