Community
Wiki Posts
Search

How does AA decide to fly MD-80s versus 738s?

Search this Thread

Old Aug 18, 2014, 9:03 am
Original Poster

Programs: IHG Plat, AA GLD, DL FO, Natl Elite
How does AA decide to fly MD-80s versus 738s?

I've noticed that on some routes of a certain length, AA often flies 738s. On other routes of similar lengths, they fly MD-80s.

I've also noticed that some of these routes (DFW-DEN in particular) with MD-80s are always packed full, with folks on standby.

At what point does AA decide that it'd be better to fly the 738 than the Mad Dog?
Old Aug 18, 2014, 9:20 am

Programs: AA EXP/5 MM, BA Blue Bayou, HH LT Diamond
I don't think it is just flight length; market demand and maintaining a degree of fleet commonality are factors too.
Old Aug 18, 2014, 9:28 am

Programs: DL PM
Originally Posted by pauleeepaul
I don't think it is just flight length; market demand and maintaining a degree of fleet commonality are factors too.
Given that the 738s only seat 10 more than the S80s, I'd say it probably also comes down to simply which is available at a given time to fly a certain flight.
Old Aug 18, 2014, 9:55 am

Programs: AA Pro (mostly B6) OZ♦ (flying BR/UA), BA Silver Hyatt LT, Wynn Black, Cosmo Plat, Mlife Noir
Probably depends more on what planes are "based" at certain hubs (and thus what crew bases are at certain hubs). I guess from a MX standpoint also makes sense to have certain hubs have certain planes.

For example, there are big MD80 crew bases at DFW and ORD, whereas LAX and JFK are almost all 738s. This is more obvious when based out of a non-hub, because you'll notice flights to certain hubs are heavily/all 738 while others are heavily/all MD80.
Old Aug 18, 2014, 1:49 pm

Programs: AADULtArer
It has more to do with the "crew ready " rate, or number out sick. If it's high, most airlines will call the MD.
Old Aug 18, 2014, 3:21 pm
Original Member

Programs: AA PLT, ICH Plat
isn't there also an "over water" component.

I know 738s have life rafts and MD-80s don't. I thought that is the reason you will not see MD-80s at MIA.
Old Aug 18, 2014, 3:41 pm

Programs: AA, UA
I think another factor is how many aircraft will park overnight at a "spoke" airport. From a crew scheduling perspective, it makes sense to have the overnight aircraft be mostly/all of one type. Gives AA better flexibility for the morning departures the next day. In AUS, most of the overnight aircraft are MD80s with a few 738, not surprising since most morning departures out of AUS are to DFW and ORD.
Old Aug 18, 2014, 3:50 pm
Moderator: American AAdvantage

Programs: AA LT Plat; HH LT Diamond, Maître-plongeur des Muccis
Don't overlook range in this equation. The MD-80 "leftover jet" (while they remain in service) is just a stretched DC-9 with newer engines; it was designed for mid on sectors; the 738 can do longer transcontinental sectors. (It may even happen that AA could decide to deploy an ETOPS subfleet of 738s, much as Alaska has. 738 to Hawaii, anyone?)

They might also not be capable of using certain airports, such as SNA with its low noise departure profiles.
Old Aug 18, 2014, 4:05 pm
Original Poster

Programs: IHG Plat, AA GLD, DL FO, Natl Elite
All very interesting points. I can always count on y'all to drop some knowledge bombs. Thanks!
Old Aug 18, 2014, 4:11 pm

Programs: AA EXP, National, Hilton
Simple, just ask me what flights I am on. Those will definitely be MD-80's.
Old Aug 18, 2014, 4:34 pm
Hyatt Contributor BadgeMarriott Contributor Badge

Programs: AA PPro/DL PLT, PPass, Marriott / Hilton Gold, JetBlue Mosaic, Hertz Presidents Circle, Amex Plat
Originally Posted by alhcfp

I know 738s have life rafts and MD-80s don't. I thought that is the reason you will not see MD-80s at MIA.
I remember MD-80s flying ATL-MIA, many years ago.
Old Aug 18, 2014, 4:55 pm

Programs: ua S, marriott P, hilton G, ihg P
Originally Posted by alhcfp

They fly LAX/SAN.
Old Aug 18, 2014, 5:05 pm

Programs: DL DM
Don't forget about putting newer planes on more competitive routes. At SFO its nearly all 737s with no MD-80s (and of course the 321s to NYC).
Old Aug 18, 2014, 7:33 pm

Programs: AA Concierge Key
On the few flights I've had the pleasure to travel an Mad-80 lately, it really highlights how quieter and more comfortable they are than the 738s.
Old Aug 18, 2014, 8:20 pm
Original Member

Programs: AA-EXP/DL-Diamond/UA-100K/Hyatt-Globalist/Hilton-Diamond/Marriott-Titanium - Many more....
Originally Posted by Jhensley1607
On the few flights I've had the pleasure to travel an Mad-80 lately, it really highlights how quieter and more comfortable they are than the 738s.
Actually the 738 is quieter than the md80. Of course the exception is in the front cabin where the engines in the mid 80 ate so far aft. In the mid cabin and rear cabin you will know how much lower the md80 is.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.