Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Discontinued Programs/Partners > American Airlines | AAdvantage (Pre-Consolidation with USAir)
Reload this Page >

is plastic the new trend? [instead of glass of china in F cabin service]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Jul 23, 2014, 2:41 pm
Original Poster

Programs: aa plat

i was flying on monday 7/21 from ord to stl in first. once in the air the f/a asked me what i wanted to drink and i ordered a cocktail. i was then brought 2 minis, a can of mix, and 2 plastic cups of ice. i saw her doing this for the rest of the cabin--no glass or china. about mid-flight, i went to the galley and asked if plastic cups were the new service procedure with the merger of aa and usair or if there was there a catering error. her response was that we were on descent and that it didn't matter. frankly i'm not sure that we were on descent. nevertheless her was non responsive. a few minutes later, she stopped by my seat and said, "you wouldn't bring your best china to the beach, would you?" i thought the whole thing was kind of odd. i will say she was never rude and i don't think i was.

i emailed customer about this encounter and got the following reply:

"We introduced a different kind of product in First Class on many short domestic flights because the former china cup/glass was just too small. Customers rarely got the amount they preferred or wanted. Too, beverages don't spill as easily in the larger cup if the ride was a little bumpy. We've chosen to use the plastic items for now, which is more like the kind of item you might use at home or throughout the day. Although it's plastic, most of our customers like it very much."

the response from aa i thought was a little vague but maybe that's me. i am interpreting this to be that in the future we will be getting the large plastic cups they use on usair short hauls. for the record, i've never had a problem with size or stability of the glasses in first nor do i use plastic glasses at home but then again maybe i'm an outlier. i know these are first world problems but . . .
Old Jul 23, 2014, 2:48 pm
Moderator: American AAdvantage

Programs: AA LT Plat; HH LT Diamond, Maître-plongeur des Muccis
So, it sounds like plastic in F on "short domestic routes" is indeed in our future.

Ah, yes, yet another "enhancement".
Old Jul 23, 2014, 2:57 pm

To be fair, ORD-STL is pretty darn short. What's cruising altitude for that one? It does seem like the window of service is pretty short and likely to involve turbulence.

I kind of wonder if switching to disposable would really be a cost saving measure on a life cycle basis. One would need to know AA's costs at their (very sizable) purchasing volume for both plastic and glass, and some data about breakage rates of glass and what goes into washing glass from a cost/labor/energy perspective. That said, if a glass cup had a lifetime of 1+ years, and you're talking about displacing 300 or more plastic cups, I do wonder if there would really be any cost savings.
Old Jul 23, 2014, 3:10 pm
HNL
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; CPU iPhone OS 7_1_1 like Mac OS X) AppleWebKit/537.51.2 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/7.0 Mobile/11D201 Safari/9537.53)

Originally Posted by arlflyer
To be fair, ORD-STL is pretty darn short. What's cruising altitude for that one? It does seem like the window of service is pretty short and likely to involve turbulence.

I kind of wonder if switching to disposable would really be a cost saving measure on a life cycle basis. One would need to know AA's costs at their (very sizable) purchasing volume for both plastic and glass, and some data about breakage rates of glass and what goes into washing glass from a cost/labor/energy perspective. That said, if a glass cup had a lifetime of 1+ years, and you're talking about displacing 300 or more plastic cups, I do wonder if there would really be any cost savings.
That's the bean counter mentality that AA does not need. Plastic does not deliver a premium experience. AA claims to want the premium customer.
Old Jul 23, 2014, 3:20 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AAdvantage Executive Platinum, Delta Silver Medallion, Marriott Bonvoy Ambassador
Originally Posted by JDiver
So, it sounds like plastic in F on "short domestic routes" is indeed in our future.

Ah, yes, yet another "enhancement".
Yup. AA. Enhancing its way to the bottom, one decision at a time.

Originally Posted by HNL
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; CPU iPhone OS 7_1_1 like Mac OS X) AppleWebKit/537.51.2 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/7.0 Mobile/11D201 Safari/9537.53)

That's the bean counter mentality that AA does not need. Plastic does not deliver a premium experience. AA claims to want the premium customer.
Agreed. If I am flying in F, I do not want to see plastic cups. This is the kind of thing that, added up, makes me decide to look at AA as just another airline. Therefore, when planning my travels, why would I start (and end) the search with the AA website?
Old Jul 23, 2014, 3:59 pm
Four Seasons Contributor BadgeShangri-La Contributor Badge

Programs: UA 1K
A few months ago I flew ord-ind in first and got glassware. We were in the air for about 30 minutes and I even got a refill.

What is this? United
Old Jul 23, 2014, 4:01 pm

Programs: US Airways Gold, Marriott Platinum, SW A List
For a flight this short, if plastic is going to cause you pain and anguish, I'd try another carrier.
Old Jul 23, 2014, 4:55 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: MR/SPG LT Titanium, AA LT PLT, UA SLV, Avis PreferredPlus
Welcome to USAir Classic.
Old Jul 23, 2014, 5:27 pm

Originally Posted by HNL
I think you are misreading my post. I'm already operating under the assumption that AA's bean counters have phased in plastic because they think it's cheaper - pretty much the only argument that plastic has in its favor. However, I was postulating that, in fact, that argument may not at all be valid on a life cycle cost basis. Therefore, I was saying that this was at best cost neutral, disliked by customers, and therefore a stupid idea. Sorry if I did not sufficiently articulate all of that.
Old Jul 23, 2014, 5:47 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP 3MM, Lifetime Platinum, Marriott Titanium, HH Gold
Wirelessly posted (Apple iPhone: Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; CPU iPhone OS 7_1_1 like Mac OS X) AppleWebKit/537.51.2 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/7.0 Mobile/11D201 Safari/9537.53)

Is this for real? Plastic cups in F??? Admittedly it's a #firstworldproblem but still...
Old Jul 23, 2014, 6:06 pm

Programs: AS MVP Gold 75K, Marriott Lifetime Titanium
Originally Posted by ESpen36
Is this for real? Plastic cups in F??? Admittedly it's a #firstworldproblem but still...
Pretty much everything that starts with EXP, SWU, Upgrade, or F is likely a first world problem. Don't kid yourself, most of us wouldn't do well dealing with even second world problems. Don't even think about the third world.
Old Jul 23, 2014, 8:22 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA LT PLT; QR GLD; Bonvoy LT TIT
Sorry, but I can't get terribly excited about a flight with a scheduled flight time of 71 minutes. Yes, the plastic is cheaper. Lighter weight, too. It's a short flight. Very short. Makes no difference to me. Now, take DFW-HKG and it's a whole different matter.
Old Jul 23, 2014, 8:57 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA:EXP/1MM. Accor/Radisson:Silver; HH:Gold; ICH:Plt Amb.
I hope the people who want to keep the F experience at a higher level aren't the same ones who put their feet up to rest on the bulkhead. Or wear flip-flops, tank tops, and/or beach shorts on board.
Old Jul 23, 2014, 9:01 pm
Moderator: American AAdvantage

Programs: AA LT Plat; HH LT Diamond, Maître-plongeur des Muccis
Originally Posted by Fanjet
I hope the people who want to keep the F experience at a higher level aren't the same ones who put their feet up to rest on the bulkhead. Or wear flip-flops, tank tops, and/or beach shorts on board.
You talkin' about his guy? He don' care if it's plastic or what! From our member sluggoaafa:

Old but classic.
Old Jul 23, 2014, 9:11 pm

Programs: UA GS, DL-Plat, Hilton Gold, IHG Platinum, Hyatt Somethingist, Marriott Titanium Lifetime
I do appreciate the idea that they are offering larger cups. ^

I suspect if there is a substantial savings from the Plastic cups (which I do not mind at all myself as I severely cut my lip on the edge of a chipped glass once and now am nervous every time I drink from an airplane glass) it would be from the fuel savings from not carrying the extra weight of the real glasses.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.