Community
Wiki Posts
Search

LAX-LHR Upgrade Chances

Search this Thread

Old May 13, 2003, 3:58 pm
Original Poster

LAX-LHR Upgrade Chances

I have done a search but have not really been able to come up with any concrete info.

I am looking at an itin. that would include LAX-LHR on 9/13. I would like to upgrade with miles but there is no availability in C as of now. There is only a light load in J this far in advance.

LAX-DFW-LGW does have C availability on 9/13. However, I would prefer the non-stop flight. Does anyone have experience with upgrades clearing on LAX-LHR ahead of time? I am Plat but have been burned in the past when playing the waitlist game and would only book LAX-LHR if there was a better than even chance of the upgrade clearing - 10 hours is a long time in Y!
Old May 13, 2003, 4:13 pm

General rule is grab a confirmed C seat when you can. You never know what might happen...
between now and mid September.

You could get on the waitlist and it doesn't clear in advance andthen you are trumped at the airport by an EXP.

They might decide to cancel the LAX-LHR flight for loads (no one knows what will happen!)and you would loose all position to whatever list you go on. AA has been VERY accomodating to those with confirmed C seats in finding them options when they cancel a flight.

When your ticketing date come up and you have to commit, pick the routing where C is available and GRAB THE C SEAT!
Old May 13, 2003, 4:39 pm

<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by 777lover:
[B They might decide to cancel the LAX-LHR flight for loads (no one knows what will happen!)and you would loose all position to whatever list you go on. [/B]</font>
aa will not X lax-lhr its one of their best routes
Old May 13, 2003, 8:06 pm

Programs: UA 1K, AA EXP (3MM), DL PM, BONVOY TITANIUM, HYATT GLOBALIST, HILTON DIAMOND, IHG DIAMOND AMB, et al
I upgraded on LAX-LHR a few months ago. Upgrade didn't clear until about 48 hrs prior to the flight.

From what I recall speaking with other FTers, upgrading on 136 is hit-or-miss, with perhaps a 50% success rate for many.

-FlyerBeek
Old May 13, 2003, 8:21 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by azmmza:
aa will not X lax-lhr its one of their best routes</font>
Exactly. This ain't some hourly flight to DFW on a super80.

I've been successful in upgrading this flight whenever I have tried.
Old May 13, 2003, 9:04 pm
LLZ

<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by jja34-1:
I have done a search but have not really been able to come up with any concrete info.

I am looking at an itin. that would include LAX-LHR on 9/13. I would like to upgrade with miles but there is no availability in C as of now. There is only a light load in J this far in advance.

LAX-DFW-LGW does have C availability on 9/13. However, I would prefer the non-stop flight. Does anyone have experience with upgrades clearing on LAX-LHR ahead of time? I am Plat but have been burned in the past when playing the waitlist game and would only book LAX-LHR if there was a better than even chance of the upgrade clearing - 10 hours is a long time in Y!
</font>
I would keep checking C availability as long as you can before you HAVE to book the LAX-DFW-LGW confirmed (although you run the risk of that disappearing).

Case in point, I'm on 136 two weeks from now. It has a fairly light load according to seat map also. When I checked Galileo on Sunday C was 0. I checked back yesterday and, bingo, C1....I was on the phone to scoop it up as quickly as I could.

Seems like AA is releasing over time in very small increments.

I'd recommend monitoring both flight possibilities daily as long as you are comfortable/able to before booking and hope a C1 shows up for you.
Old May 14, 2003, 11:25 am
askworldtraveler

fly that flight often - and the upgrade has always cleared when in the early days the seat map shows many of seats open. Key is to check back often - more then once during a phone call to the desk a 'seat' became available. 60 - 45 days out I would ask the desk to check with the revenue desk and see if they will spring a seat open. Good Luck.

------------------
Dance as if no one's watching, Sing as if no one's listening and live live everyday as if it were your last

Old May 14, 2003, 4:39 pm

Programs: UA 1K/MM, AA EXP/MM
I'm on 136 (connecting from SFO) on June 9. ITN shows F7 J7 D4 Y7 B7 H7 K7 M7 V7 N7 S2 Q0 L0. No mention of C at all, not even C0. I'm relatively new at trying to interpret these listings. Can anyone tell me what this means about upgrade chances?
Old May 14, 2003, 8:20 pm
LLZ

<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by Napa:
I'm on 136 (connecting from SFO) on June 9. ITN shows F7 J7 D4 Y7 B7 H7 K7 M7 V7 N7 S2 Q0 L0. No mention of C at all, not even C0. I'm relatively new at trying to interpret these listings. Can anyone tell me what this means about upgrade chances?</font>
Using Galileo yields C0 right now. Here's the link Napa http://cyber.law.harvard.edu/people/...ravel/galileo/
Old May 16, 2003, 10:55 am

Programs: UA 1K/MM, AA EXP/MM
Thanks LLZ. Either the interface I was using didn't allow requesting info for a specific Class or else I didn't notice it.

If I specifically ask for C, I get C0 as you say. If I leave the field blank, C doesn't show up.

I assume either that the general display doesn't list codes that are 0 or that there are so many codes that there isn't room to display them all and C is getting pushed off the right edge.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.