Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Discontinued Programs/Partners > American Airlines | AAdvantage (Pre-Consolidation with USAir)
Reload this Page >

Possible 6/11 New US Airways Elites Upgrade Algorithm Error Bypassing All AA Elites

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Possible 6/11 New US Airways Elites Upgrade Algorithm Error Bypassing All AA Elites

Search this Thread

Old Jun 16, 2014, 2:34 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: Wouldn't you like to know?!

As many of you already know, AA/US started the reciprocal upgrade benefit on 6/11/2014. Elites of either program will be offered upgrades during OLCI starting at 24 hour before departure.

Basically, AA/US IT set up a new algorithm looking for the appropriate upgrade bucket during online check in. Normally, for complimentary 2 cabin domestic upgrades, the aa.com algorithm looks for bucket X and if X>0 and the elite has not already been upgrade, aa.com will automatically upgrade the elite. If not, aa.com will place AA elites on the airport upgrade list.

I've read from many sources and it appears that the new aa.com OLCI algorithm looks for bucket A for US Airways elites during OLCI instead of bucket X and we all know how generous AA is with the A bucket (mileage/instrument upgrade bucket as well as discounted first class bucket often set to 1 less the F full fare bucket, especially at 24 hour before departure). Here's a recent OCLI experience from an US Airways elite

Originally Posted by rmohare
I just checked in for my LAX-PIT flight for tomorrow. When I logged into my AAdvantage account (full online site) and did "Find Reservation" (because it doesn't show up in my account with the US DM number attached), I entered my record locator to bring up the reservation. I then clicked the check in button at the bottom of the reservation page. When I got to the next page, it said "The following flights are available for upgrade:" with my flight listed and the fee of $0. I selected the flights I wanted to upgrade (obviously only one) and clicked next. It said something to the fact that "first class seats will be assigned once you complete the check in process", but it never gave me the option to select a seat. This took me to the final page where I tell it to send the BPs to my email or to print them. The BP was also available then when I looked up the reservation in the AA mobile app and I was able to add it to my Passbook. My reservation now shows "Class: First" and "Booking Code: A".
If US Airways elites are really being cleared into the A bucket, then aa.com is essentially bypassing all AA elites, including EXPs who have not cleared upgrades within 24 hours and have been placed on the airport upgrade list waiting for the X bucket.
Old Jun 16, 2014, 2:46 pm
Suspended

Programs: BA GGL, AA 1MM LT GLD, SPG PLAT, National Exec Selc, Hilton Diamond, Hyatt Plat, Marriott Silver
Yeah, I'd call that one in.
Old Jun 16, 2014, 2:56 pm

IT problems at AA? Seems unlikely.
Old Jun 16, 2014, 3:30 pm

Programs: AA EXP 3MM, DL GM, Marriott Platinum
The OP is saying that somehow 'A' inventory is open to US Dividend Mile elite members at T-24? I'm EXP and also DM Gold, so I'll see about this next time I haven't cleared at T-24. I assume I can switch my number and try to upgrade with my Dividend Mile credentials.

'A' inventory is mileage+copay and SWU upgrade inventory and also discounted (paid) First. It is not supposed to be available for e-500-sticker, space-available upgrades.
Old Jun 16, 2014, 4:57 pm
Suspended

I checked with AAdvantage an they strenuously deny. Adding:

...But I can tell you that we are NOT bypassing AAdvantage elite members in order to upgrade DM members nor is US bypassing DM elite members to upgrade AAdvantage elite members.

Basically, we are offering these upgrades through the same platform by which we offer day of departure upgrades when first class seats are still available. That means we have processed all existing requests for upgrades from AAdvantage elite members and no other elite members are awaiting an upgrade.
So, like LFBU (in fact, using same/similar processing,) only offered if no elite waiting for an upgrade would be denied same as a result.
Old Jun 16, 2014, 5:05 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: OWEmerald; STARGold; BonvoyPlat; IHGPlat/Amb; HiltonGold; A|ClubPat; AirMilesPlat
If I understand US's upgrade program, elites are automatically upgraded at appropriate advanced windows based on status. Given my experience with UA, there a dozens of elites of all tiers on every flight so the F cabin is filled by the time OLCI starts (unless UA holds back seats). Is this not the case with US since all elites are eligible for those upgrades at no cost? It would thus seem there'd be no open F seats at OLCI so chances of actually getting an upgrade at that point would be extremely unlikely. Can someone tell me what I am missing here?

(This is unlike AA where just ExecPlats get comp upgrades, other elites must use instruments, thus limiting their numbers in F cabins.)
Old Jun 16, 2014, 8:22 pm

Programs: Some more than others
Based on information posted elsewhere, LFBU's on domestic revenue tickets book into the A bucket. I noticed the same thing based on my limited exposure to them a few years ago.
Old Jun 16, 2014, 8:26 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by SCChris
Based on information posted elsewhere, LFBU's on domestic revenue tickets book into the A bucket. I noticed the same thing based on my limited exposure to them a few years ago.
God that site has great AA information!

I think what we have here is a "Ready, Fire, Aim!" thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.