Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Discontinued Programs/Partners > American Airlines | AAdvantage (Pre-Consolidation with USAir)
Reload this Page >

UA just went rev based for miles in 03/2015, will AA soon follow??

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

UA just went rev based for miles in 03/2015, will AA soon follow??

Search this Thread

Old Jun 10, 2014, 8:50 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by SmokeyTheBear
If AA doesn't match, expect a huge influx of all of us over on UA to be heading your way.

RIP UA.
But only the low revenue, high mileage flyers. DL knew what it was doing on this one. High rev pax stay put, while low rev pax *might* go away. AA has nothing to lose by changing to the new system, but could potentially lose high revenue flyers to UA/DL if it does not switch.

RIP frequent flier programs in general.
Old Jun 10, 2014, 8:58 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM, MR Titanium/LTP, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by rjque
AA has nothing to lose by changing to the new system, but could potentially lose high revenue flyers to UA/DL if it does not switch.

Disagree AA already rewards high revenue flyers and this model only rewards the smallest sliver of high revenue flyers.

The mileage earning is capped at 75k so any J ticket over $6818 purchased by a 1K/GS will not earn miles over 75k - so it's positive for domestic flyers who buy at the last minute but it doesn't reward those who buy expensive J tickets at all. Why would you buy a $13k LAX - SYD J ticket on UA if you essentially can't earn miles on 50% of the purchase price
Old Jun 10, 2014, 9:03 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA PLT (2.9+ MM), HH GLD, Hyatt Diamond, SPG PLT
Originally Posted by flyerdude88

The mileage earning is capped at 75k
Are we sure about this - or is it just that the calculator on the UA web page only goes up to 75K.

(Not trying to be snarky, I'm genuinely interested)
Old Jun 10, 2014, 9:04 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Disagree AA already rewards high revenue flyers and this model only rewards the smallest sliver of high revenue flyers.

The mileage earning is capped at 75k so any J ticket over $6818 purchased by a 1K/GS will not earn miles over 75k - so it's positive for domestic flyers who buy at the last minute but it doesn't reward those who buy expensive J tickets at all. Why would you buy a $13k LAX - SYD J ticket on UA if you essentially can't earn miles on 50% of the purchase price
That makes no sense at all, but I don't think many people are spending $13k LAX-SYD. I would venture that all but a tiny, tiny decimal of a percentage of UA's ticket sales are $6800 or more. If you're spending more than that, you're more likely to take a carrier with decent service, or book private.

On the other hand, I think UA would be thrilled to pick up AA's $1000 ORD-MEM travelers.
Old Jun 10, 2014, 9:06 am

Originally Posted by bdemaria
Are we sure about this - or is it just that the calculator on the UA web page only goes up to 75K.

Both DL and UA announced that it's capped at 75.000.

Or well, DL did that and then UA copied it exactly.
Old Jun 10, 2014, 9:06 am

Originally Posted by bdemaria

Yes, it's in the text below the calculator on http://mileageplusupdates.com/

You will be able to earn up to 75,000 award miles per ticket. There will not be a minimum number of award miles you can earn for a flight.
Old Jun 10, 2014, 9:11 am

Programs: AA EXP,SPG 75
Cannot wait for AA to adopt this model. Almost in every instance of my last 10 flights would I get more miles under the new UA RDM scheme than the current AA scheme.

FTFY: RIP and good riddance cheapo MRers.

Last edited by YouGeeElWhy; Jun 10, 2014 at 9:17 am
Old Jun 10, 2014, 9:11 am

just guessing but you have have more than 7K to spend on one ticket you probably don't need the miles anyway. (I know most of those are OPM) But 75K miles is not nothing and far more than you're getting now on that fare
Old Jun 10, 2014, 9:14 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM, MR Titanium/LTP, Hilton Diamond
That makes no sense at all, but I don't think many people are spending $13k LAX-SYD. I would venture that all but a tiny, tiny decimal of a percentage of UA's ticket sales are $6800 or more. If you're spending more than that, you're more likely to take a carrier with decent service, or book private.

On the other hand, I think UA would be thrilled to pick up AA's $1000 ORD-MEM travelers.
Agreed it's a small percentage that was just one that immediately came to mind.

Though I disagree on the second point - maybe for personal travel if you're spending more than $6.8k a ticket you're booking a carrier with decent service / private but a huge part of this industry (especially the HVF business side of things) is people spending OPM and those people may be limited to US carriers in spending that money.

As for the domestic portion - that's why I exempted that from my statement - this model clearly benefits the short haul expensive flyer which is where AA would see value in this model namely in expensive East Coast tickets (DCA - LGA / DCA - BOS, etc.).
Old Jun 10, 2014, 9:21 am

I'm not so sure that AA will go this direction. A big component is the east coast route network, ostensibly the value that US brought to the table. I'm not sure how big a segment all of that shorthaul flying is for new AA, but those flights will generate more miles even at the base level. I don't know that the cost-cutting approach that Parker and other ex-US management like is compatible with that.

Example: Most of my flying with US is PWM/BOS-PHL/DCA. I very rarely score a $250 fare, but that's all I'd need to earn the same mileage I do today - and that's using 500 mile minimums that I get today versus UA's non-status 5x. Apples to apples, I'd be looking at 1400 miles as a bottom tier vs 1250 today. To bring that into "real life" terms, the best fare I've booked on US this year is $260 for PWM-DCA over the Independence Day weekend. The next cheapest was a ~400 PWM-PHL run.

At a minimum, folks flying the Shuttle would be doing better.

I no longer care about status, so I'd be fine with accruing miles this way. I'd keep US for shorthaul travel and keep flying AS when I need to go to the west coast.
Old Jun 10, 2014, 9:23 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Wouldn't you like to know?!
Originally Posted by shadesofgrey1x
Does anyone think AA will be the lone wolf and stay nonrev based?
Doug Parker is probably dancing on the table right now. He wanted US Airways to go revenue based before Delta did.

AA is next, guaranteed. @:-)

What they don't realize is that loyal flyers are not the ones racking up liability in miles. 1K/EXPs only earn about 200K miles per year. Manufactured spenders are the ones racking up far more than that.
Old Jun 10, 2014, 9:36 am
Suspended

Programs: AAdvantage PP
Yes when the FFs programs are put together AA certainly will. Possibly the change may not take effect until calendar year 2016 but this is where the industry is headed, despite FTs that seem to have the fantasy that AA is going to continue with a business model from the 1980s.
Old Jun 10, 2014, 9:44 am

Programs: AA Lifetime Gold but PlatPro thanks to LPs
Originally Posted by newyorkgeorge
Yes when the FFs programs are put together AA certainly will. Possibly the change may not take effect until calendar year 2016 but this is where the industry is headed, despite FTs that seem to have the fantasy that AA is going to continue with a business model from the 1980s.
I agree 100%. Could not have said it better myself.
Old Jun 10, 2014, 9:52 am

Programs: AA EXP, DL FO
Originally Posted by richarddd
The smart thing would be not to match initially and see if there is a large influx of desirable customers or other positive effects on profitability. If not, match the others.
Agreed. This would be a worthy experiment and perhaps a good way to steal customers. Even if AA dropped the hammer in 2016 the newly acquired UA/DL refugees would have nowhere else to go so they might stay with AA if they have status.

Perhaps AA could eliminate EQM qualification and require everyone to use EQP if they want to kill the mileage runners for next year without going full revenue based. If qualification was based on EQP only they will avoid giving out benefits to the "gamers".
Old Jun 10, 2014, 9:55 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Though I disagree on the second point - maybe for personal travel if you're spending more than $6.8k a ticket you're booking a carrier with decent service / private but a huge part of this industry (especially the HVF business side of things) is people spending OPM and those people may be limited to US carriers in spending that money.
If you are spending OPM, then you are likely subject to some restrictions on taking the cheapest carrier / the one that provides a discount to the person who is paying. It's unlikely in such a scenario that you would end up with a ticket that is $7k or more. If not, you've got the flexibility to fly an airline with great service, so why not do it?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.