Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Trying to find codeshare flights ex UK/Europe NOT to the US

Search this Thread

Old May 27, 2014, 11:05 pm
Original Poster

Programs: BA Gold, AA Lifetime Gold 1.8mm, IC Spire Ambassador, Hilton Diamond, SPG Gold et al
Trying to find codeshare flights ex UK/Europe NOT to the US

Following a disastrous recent trip on AA I have almost $4k in travel vouchers to spend. The rules are that I must use AA or AA coded partner flights. I could easily use them to travel to the US but would prefer to visit other parts of the world such as the Middle East, Asia or even Australia. I'm UK based but could start my trip in more or less any European city if I had to. A few random searches on aa.com have so far failed to identify routes where I could use the vouchers.

Do they actually exist?
Old May 28, 2014, 12:06 am

Programs: OW Emerald
Originally Posted by Blueboys999
Following a disastrous recent trip on AA I have almost $4k in travel vouchers to spend. The rules are that I must use AA or AA coded partner flights. I could easily use them to travel to the US but would prefer to visit other parts of the world such as the Middle East, Asia or even Australia. I'm UK based but could start my trip in more or less any European city if I had to. A few random searches on aa.com have so far failed to identify routes where I could use the vouchers.

Do they actually exist?
Sure. Two things you should note are (a) a lot of codeshares are only valid for connections, e.g. you can book an AA-coded flight from LHR-AUH but only if connecting from another international flight; (b) a lot (but not all) of the codeshares are for feeder (e.g. intra-Europe) flights that naturally connect to AA flights, as opposed to long-haul routes which may compete with AA's own flights from/via the US.

That said, you can still go to a lot of places, especially if you're willing to take a connection in the USA:

a. Canada on the BA-operated flights.
b. Tahiti (to LAX on BA/AA then Air Tahiti Nui)
c. Fiji (to LAX on BA/AA then Fiji Airways)
d. South America or Caribbean via the USA
e. Fly via the USA to Australia. The tickets tend to be a bit more expensive, but you can get a free stop in most of the Qantas gateways, e.g. DFW, LAX, HNL, ...
Old May 28, 2014, 7:08 am
Moderator: American AAdvantage

Programs: AA LT Plat; HH LT Diamond, Maître-plongeur des Muccis
As American Airlines and US Airways are still operating as distinct airlines, this question is being moved to the appropriate pre-merger airline forum.

Please note the sticky at the top of the consolidated thread which is titled Welcome to the New American Airlines Forum! PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING. With all of the changes about, it is important to know where to post, and reading that thread before posting (as the title suggests ) will help get you in the right place.

~Moderator
Old May 28, 2014, 8:29 am

Programs: AA EXP
Originally Posted by Blueboys999
A few random searches on aa.com have so far failed to identify routes where I could use the vouchers.

Do they actually exist?
Try using the timetable instead. That should show you all codeshare routes.
Old May 28, 2014, 8:53 am

Programs: AAdvantage, Flying Blue, Mileage Plus
Originally Posted by deeruck
Try using the timetable instead. That should show you all codeshare routes.
Yes, but the problem is that the codeshare routes aren't necessarilly available as standalone flights, when not on a Europe-North America route (in fact, I think that they're never available in this circumstance). So the timetable may have an AA* flight on LHR-JNB operated by BA, but it can only be booked in conjunction with an AA/AA* or flight such as JFK-LHR-JNB. So in the case of the OP, if he looks at the timetable and finds an AA* flight on LHR-JNB, he won't actually be able to book it.
Old May 28, 2014, 10:25 am

Programs: AA EXP
Originally Posted by i_fly_AA
Yes, but the problem is that the codeshare routes aren't necessarilly available as standalone flights, when not on a Europe-North America route (in fact, I think that they're never available in this circumstance).
I understand. Just wanted to show the OP the universe of AA coded flights that are out there. As you state, he will need to work around the particular rules for each.

Blueboys999, is some form of RTW an option for you?
Old May 29, 2014, 6:27 am
Original Poster

Programs: BA Gold, AA Lifetime Gold 1.8mm, IC Spire Ambassador, Hilton Diamond, SPG Gold et al
Thanks to all for the replies. I'm certainly wiser on this than I was yesterday.

Originally Posted by deeruck
Blueboys999, is some form of RTW an option for you?
Hadn't thought about that but it is a possibility. Any good ideas would be very welcome because I've often wasted vouchers on something very ordinary in the past but now want to make the most of them.
Old May 29, 2014, 2:36 pm
Original Member

Programs: AA 2MM, Bonvoy LTT, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by i_fly_AA
Yes, but the problem is that the codeshare routes aren't necessarilly available as standalone flights, when not on a Europe-North America route (in fact, I think that they're never available in this circumstance). So the timetable may have an AA* flight on LHR-JNB operated by BA, but it can only be booked in conjunction with an AA/AA* or flight such as JFK-LHR-JNB. So in the case of the OP, if he looks at the timetable and finds an AA* flight on LHR-JNB, he won't actually be able to book it.
+1.

The fundamental question is OP needs to find a route where AA publishes a fare for and doesn't involve the US. I think we're trying to find out if AA have any 7th freedom rights and utilizing it. My guess is no.
Old May 29, 2014, 2:43 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Originally Posted by seawolf
+1.

The fundamental question is OP needs to find a route where AA publishes a fare for and doesn't involve the US. I think we're trying to find out if AA have any 7th freedom rights and utilizing it. My guess is no.
AA doesn't have to publish a fare, but does need to be able to sell tickets for the route. YY fares can be used where AA doesn't have its own fares

I think it is very unlikely, however, that within Europe , AA is going to be able to offer flights on its codeshares and that it is restricted only to journeys across the Atlantic

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.