Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Two timin' AA voicemail system lady

Search this Thread

Old Jan 23, 2003, 7:49 am

Have you called Amtrak system? I think the lady there (Julie) is a lot more efficient in getting infomation from customer.
Old Jan 23, 2003, 8:16 am

Programs: AA Gold, Lufthansa Frequent Traveler
My wife used to work for a company that would set up the automated response systems for different companies. She always had to record the same lady. She said that this woman (I don't know who she is) makes her living by being the voice person for all kinds of companies and systems. My question - how does one break into this industry? I pretty sure she was well paid.

[This message has been edited by TexAAs (edited 01-23-2003).]
Old Jan 23, 2003, 9:19 am
Suspended
Original Poster

Programs: AA EXP, BA GLD, FT < 30 y
When I was at Cambridge in Emmanuel College, rumor had it that the voice announcing the floors in the elevator in the Queens Building is actually Princess Diana. Supposedly HRH (when she had the title) was visiting Emma and one of the students dared her to do it as a joke (this would fit her personality). Anyhow, my friends and I spent several hours riding the elevator, listening, and compared the voice to recordings. It is a pretty good match! If you're ever in Cambridge give it a try-- the building is public access if you can sneak past the Porters!
Old Jan 23, 2003, 12:28 pm

Programs: AA PLT, SPG Gold, Hyatt Platinum, HHonors, Marriott Silver
<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by TexAAs:
My question - how does one break into this industry?</font>
From what I know (a friend does this part-time), voice-over work does not pay that well, unless you have some of these major contracts. Much like other show-biz type roles, you have to make audition tapes, send them out, give auditions (both live and over the phone), and then hope you are selected for the particular role. These roles range from TV and radio spots to the automated messages systems and even the recorded voices at museum displays.

Old Jan 23, 2003, 1:00 pm
formerly known as CARTflagman

I remember a show, some documentary on these types of folks, many years ago, that talked about her, but I forget her name. I believe she lives in the San Jose, CA area, unless I'm totally mistaken.

CF
Old Jan 24, 2003, 9:21 pm

Here's another. 1-800-TruGreen.

Same lady.
Old Jan 24, 2003, 9:33 pm

Programs: The usual for over 7 Million paid miles flown to date... My first paid flight was on a DC3.
<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by Latitudes:
Same on the Sydney rail system. The man's voice sounds very much like the NSW Premier (= State Governor), Bob Carr.</font>
I was on a Sydney Train from Central to Chatswood a few weeks ago and the bloke announcing the stops sounded like the engineer. He mumbled so bad that he could have well been Bob Carr!
Old Jan 24, 2003, 9:41 pm
formerly known as CARTflagman

She's also the "Audix" voicemail attendent for our system at work.

CF
Old Jan 24, 2003, 9:52 pm

Programs: AA Plat, HHonors Gold, Marriot Silver
Call Aer Lingus (US) if you wann hear a "lovely" voice.
Old Jan 24, 2003, 9:59 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Earned status with AA, DL, SPG, HH, Hyatt, Marriott, Seabourn, NCL, National, Hertz...I miss my bed!
<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by ExpoTrac:
From what I know (a friend does this part-time), voice-over work does not pay that well, unless you have some of these major contracts. Much like other show-biz type roles, you have to make audition tapes, send them out, give auditions (both live and over the phone), and then hope you are selected for the particular role. These roles range from TV and radio spots to the automated messages systems and even the recorded voices at museum displays.

</font>
All very accurate. I did voice-over work in college when I was working in radio. Lots of advertisers would request a specific "type" of voice. I have a somewhat unusual voice (particularly on the radio) and would always get to do these "sultry" types of recordings. Definitely interesting but it paid next to nothing!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.