Community
Wiki Posts
Search

AA gate agent sold my First seat (P) for an upgrade

Search this Thread

Old Mar 31, 2014, 3:20 am

Location: Lahaina,HI USA AA PLT 9 Million Miles+, Hyatt Courtesy Card, Avis Presidents Club, Hertz No. 1 Club Gold, Starwood Platinum,OnePass Gold Elite,+++

From my aa.com page. All numbers. My wife is all numbers and my four boys are all numbers.
Old Mar 31, 2014, 4:36 am

Programs: BA GfL, GGL/CCR
I just had a similar experience as OP.

Was travelling multicity itinery including an international leg on BA. Route was LAS-LAX-JFK-LHR. No status as such with AA, but am oneworld emerald. Travelling with a companion in F on the domestics. The LAX-JFK leg was in F - 3class on the new A321 (fantastic experience by the way).

Was in flagship lounge and already checked in at LAS (with checked baggage) so AA gate staff all knew we were there.

Got an announcement at 25 mins before flight scheduled departure saying passenger Mr ..... to board IMMEDIATELY (emphasis on the immedditely) as flight was closing.

Ran like hell to gate and people were still hanging around (heard the word upgrade from an agent talking to another passenger), went to board , gate agent said nothing and boarded like normal.

Then other passengers still coming on plane for at least another 15 mins after we had sat down. It slightly ruined what was overall a great trip with AA.

So do you guys think that they were actually helping me to give me time to get there by saying immediately or that they were desperate to give away my seat prior to 15 mins ?

And why didn't they also page my companion who was on the same ticket and OWE.?

Last edited by crazyarmadillo; Mar 31, 2014 at 4:50 am Reason: added last line
Old Mar 31, 2014, 5:25 am

Programs: AA EXP
Originally Posted by crazyarmadillo
And why didn't they also page my companion who was on the same ticket and OWE.?
They probably only booked you into the lounge and treated your companion as your guest.

Had this happen only last week.

Two of us, both EXP as it happens, traveling on international itinerary.

Handed over my boarding card then the AAngel declined to even look at my companions boarding card, just said we were set.

If there had been a need to page us they would only have known I was there, not my companion.

Ran like hell to gate and people were still hanging around (heard the word upgrade from an agent talking to another passenger), went to board , gate agent said nothing and boarded like normal.

Then other passengers still coming on plane for at least another 15 mins after we had sat down. It slightly ruined what was overall a great trip with AA.
If they wanted to give your seat away they would hardly have paged you, would they?

As for slightly ruining your trip, I'd guess you'd feel it was rather more than slightly ruined if they had not paged you and let you continue to sit in the lounge oblivious to the fact that the 15 min cut-off was rapidly approaching ...
Old Mar 31, 2014, 6:13 am

Originally Posted by Mark_T
If they wanted to give your seat away they would hardly have paged you, would they?

As for slightly ruining your trip, I'd guess you'd feel it was rather more than slightly ruined if they had not paged you and let you continue to sit in the lounge oblivious to the fact that the 15 min cut-off was rapidly approaching ...
yes, now having had time to consider this, that's what I am thinking too. I didn't know about the 15 min rule (I quite new to AA), so knowing what I'm like, yes you are right, I would have sat in the lounge to possibly under 15 mins.

So with hindsight maybe as you say I should actually feel lucky.

Thanks for info - now I know for future flights - I have more of these coming up this year - the new a321 transcon is making me feel to swop allegiances to AA.
Old Mar 31, 2014, 6:35 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: WN CP, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by 26point2orbust
The OP also wrote that he showed up at the gate at T-15, which according to Flightaware simply cannot be true.
We have yet to hear from the OP exactly when he arrived at the gate. If it was at, say, T-10, he has no case against AA. He would've lost his seat at T-15.
It seems like after the Flightaware data was posted to contradict his claim that he was at the gate at T-15, he disappeared from this thread. You can draw your own conclusions from that...
Are data from Flightaware 100% accurate?
Old Mar 31, 2014, 6:49 am
Suspended

Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
yes, now having had time to consider this, that's what I am thinking too. I didn't know about the 15 min rule (I quite new to AA), so knowing what I'm like, yes you are right, I would have sat in the lounge to possibly under 15 mins.

Thanks for info - now I know for future flights - I have more of these coming up this year - the new a321 transcon is making me feel to swop allegiances to AA.
The fact that AA "knew" that you had checked in, had scanned into the lounge and so on, is only true in that the agent assigned to the flight could have done the research to find all of this. But, they are not expected to and are not even likely trained to do this level of detailed research. That is why AA publishes a hard stop of T-15 for domestic flights and a notional T-30 boarding time is printed on the BP.

I would thank AA for having gone the extra mile for you. Likely due to your onward international connections. Had you lingered a few extra minutes at the lounge and failed to make the T-15 deadline, you would have been seated other than in F and, depending on the load, might have been off-loaded entirely.
Old Mar 31, 2014, 6:57 am

Originally Posted by Often1

I would thank AA for having gone the extra mile for you. Likely due to your onward international connections. Had you lingered a few extra minutes at the lounge and failed to make the T-15 deadline, you would have been seated other than in F and, depending on the load, might have been off-loaded entirely.
That would have been a disaster, so now I know! Lesson learnt - tho after the first contact with AA cabin crew - a friendly smile and top-ups of the sparkling wine, all that was put to one side, as they were superb for the whole flight! I would thoroughly recommend this service - sorry for a bit OT there....
Old Mar 31, 2014, 7:11 am

AFAIK, the 15 minute rule is common among US carriers--does BA have a different policy?
Old Mar 31, 2014, 7:18 am

Programs: AA PPro, Mariott Ambassador, B6 Mosaic, SBUX Gold, Best Buy Elite
Originally Posted by benzemalyonnais
These UP fares are so sleazy, especially considering that most travelers aren't FTers and have no idea what an UP fare is....
Especially because unless you read the fine print you have no idea what you are buying. The website makes it seem like its a F ticket.
Old Mar 31, 2014, 7:48 am

Originally Posted by cmn.jcs
AFAIK, the 15 minute rule is common among US carriers--does BA have a different policy?
Not too sure on exact policy as I have never needed to know.

I often turn up at the gate 10 mins, even 5 mins at times, before the gate closes, without ever having been paged at all - normally being one of the final passengers. I normally fly international Business so that could be a factor.

I think there could be more leeway with BA, maybe because most people on the routes I take, have checked baggage and BA would have to take the bags off, if the passenger does not turn up.

Also I believe the upgrade process works differently - well according to the folks on the BA board !
Old Mar 31, 2014, 8:06 am

Programs: AA, BAEC Gold
Originally Posted by cmn.jcs
The published policy is:

"Ensure you know when your boarding gate closes and arrive on time as you will not be able to board your flight once the gate has closed."

At Heathrow you also have to pass "conformance" before security which is supposed to ensure that you have enough time to get to the gate, otherwise you are bumped to rebooking.
Old Mar 31, 2014, 8:06 am
nrr
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA platinum; 2MM AA, Delta Diamond, Hilton Diamond
I've flown on the first flight of the day from jfk-lax many times. I usually leave the Admirals Club at T-35; on a few of these flts. at T-30 (on my way to the gate) I heard my name being paged on the airport PA system...when I arrived at the gate the plane was fully boarded, I was one of the last to board. If someone arrived at the gate at T-15, the plane may have departed.
Old Mar 31, 2014, 8:12 am

Programs: AA EXP 3MM, DL GM, Marriott Platinum
Got an announcement at 25 mins before flight scheduled departure saying passenger Mr ..... to board IMMEDIATELY as flight was closing.

Then other passengers still coming on plane for at least another 15 mins after we had sat down.
Similar incident happened at ORD on Friday 3/28. I was relaxing in the G lounge (where I can keep an eye on the H gates), and I noted the inbound aircraft arrive at H-4 where I was scheduled to depart in about 30 minutes. Just as it parked, I gathered my things and started walking slowly toward the H/K terminal (normally a 10-minute stroll). As I was passing through the G terminal rotunda, I glanced at the departures board, and I was surprised to see my flight status listed as "Final Boarding."

I did quicken my step, and arriving at H-4 noted that my flight had not yet begun to board. I asked the gate agent, and she said that, yes, she had put the outbound flight in final boarding as soon as the inbound plane was at the gate, so that she could get everyone on board at once and not have to wait to close it.
Old Mar 31, 2014, 8:53 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I didn't know about the 15 min rule (I quite new to AA), so knowing what I'm like, yes you are right, I would have sat in the lounge to possibly under 15 mins.

I'm not new to AA but I think at some point in the not too distant past the 15 minute rule had been changed from a 10 minute rule and I wasn't aware. Myself and several others (unrelated) arrived at the gate from the AC at about T-13 and the door was shut. We collectively put up enough of a fuss and I guess the pilot wasn't ready to go anyway so he agreed to have them open the door again and let us board. I'm sure this was less hassle than re-accommodating us and dealing with complaints.
Old Mar 31, 2014, 8:55 am
Suspended

Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
Originally Posted by MADPhil
The published policy is:

"Ensure you know when your boarding gate closes and arrive on time as you will not be able to board your flight once the gate has closed."

At Heathrow you also have to pass "conformance" before security which is supposed to ensure that you have enough time to get to the gate, otherwise you are bumped to rebooking.
The published policy for AA for domestic flights is very simple and clear:

Arrive at the gate and be ready to board at least 15 minutes prior to scheduled departure

There is no conformance at any US airport and given that most pax use OLCI and most pax do not check luggage anymore, the sole indicator that a given pax is actually flying may well be that he shows up at the gate by T-15. It is entirely likely that the average AA domestic pax interfaces with one AA employee, namely the GA at the time the BP is scanned.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.