Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Discontinued Programs/Partners > American Airlines | AAdvantage (Pre-Consolidation with USAir)
Reload this Page >

No More Free 24 hr. Hold For Reservations Made Within 7 Days Of Travel

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jan 14, 2015, 11:06 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: JDiver
Free 24 hr. Hold For Reservations Made Within 7 Days Of Travel No Longer Offered

Note: AA no longer refunds tickets purchased within the seven days of flight time frame when one cancels within 24 hours, as of 12 June 2015.

Please follow that topic / policy here: AA No more Refunds within 24 hours if booked inside 7 day window

The 24-hour reservation requirement is mandated by the Department of Transportation’s consumer rule “Enhancing Airline Passenger Protections” (14 CFR 259.5(b)(4), 76 Fed. Reg. 23110, 23166, Apr. 25, 2011) and applies to all reservations made seven days or more prior to the flight’s scheduled departure time.
A 24 hour cancellation policy is called for by USDOT regulations. American Airlines currently meets the requirement by offering 24 hour hold.

1) Allowing one to "hold" a booking for 24 hours rather than purchase immediately. Unfortunately, some may not know this and purchase thinking they can cancel within 24 hours free of fees or cost.

Q: How do I "Hold" a reservation?
A: You may place your reservation on hold for 24 hours if you are booking your reservation seven or more days prior to departure. When you make a reservation on aa.com for American Airlines flights, including American flights operated by codeshare partners, look for the “Free 24 hour hold” option on the “Review and Pay” page during the booking process.

AA Reservations FAQ - Link
Hold Your Reservation On aa.com (Link)

As a convenience for your travel planning, aa.com offers hold* options during booking. You may place your reservation on hold for up to 24 hours for free, or you may pay to place your reservation on hold for an extended time period. When you make a reservation on aa.com for American Airlines flights, including American flights operated by codeshare partners, look for the "Hold" option on the "Review and Pay" page during the booking process.

Hold your reservation for 24 hours or more
* Did you find a good fare, but need more time? Hold your trip.
Here's how it works:
* All holds are free for the first 24 hours.
* If you choose to hold longer, you’ll be charged after 24 hours.
* Hold charges are non-refundable.
* When you’re ready, go to the confirmation email or My Trips to pay for or cancel your trip.
* Be sure to pay with a credit card from the same country you used to hold your trip or your fare may change.
Once you select the Hold option, the Free Hold and Extended Hold offers will display:

Book your flight now!

* Actual hold period depends on fare rules. Some fares require purchase by a specific time.
2) If one is booking for travel within seven days, there is no "hold" option given during the booking process.. The DOT does not require a refund for cancelation within 24 hours of purchase, nor a 24 hour hold. AA used to allow refunds within 24 hours of booking within the seven day purchase to flight time frame; it no longer does so as of 12 June 2014.

Link to PDF USDOT "Guidance on the 24-Hour Reservation Requirement"

Updated 1 July 2015

Print Wikipost

No More Free 24 hr. Hold For Reservations Made Within 7 Days Of Travel

Search this Thread

Old Mar 26, 2014, 1:42 pm

Programs: AA LT Gold
This does not affect me at all.

All of my last minute travel is work related and we have to use the corporate travel website that has always allowed for cancellation one day after. If any, corporate would pay for any change fee.

My personal travel is booked months in advance, which one can still put on hold.

[shrugs]
Old Mar 26, 2014, 1:47 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by tonytifao
Same here. But not sure if this actually holds the fare. Does it?
Usually TA held reservations do not guarantee the fare. But of course they have the ability to void tickets within 24 hours, sometimes longer. I'd be surprised if that went away, even within the 7 day period.
Old Mar 26, 2014, 2:14 pm

Programs: Lots of faux metal
Originally Posted by JonNYC
That was sheer, foundation-less speculation here, that that is the cause of this change, either in part or in full.
Hey, I said "maybe" and used a question mark.

Do you have that link to the spoilage presentation you posted that had a screenshot of people who booked or held tickets under phony names and then had upgrades clear? It was really interesting.
Old Mar 26, 2014, 3:04 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Amex Gold/Plat, UA *G, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott LT Gold, NEXUS, TSA Disparager Unobtanium
Certainly disappointing for those who book their flights within 7 days, but I've been told by multiple agents and other AA representatives that the tix booked within 7 days will be able to be canceled and refunded within 24 hrs. of purchase..
Old Mar 26, 2014, 3:19 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by skunker
Hey, I said "maybe" and used a question mark.

Do you have that link to the spoilage presentation you posted that had a screenshot of people who booked or held tickets under phony names and then had upgrades clear? It was really interesting.
Sure, with pleasure
http://www.arccorp.com/gfpf/2010_day3_2.pdf
Old Mar 26, 2014, 3:41 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AAdvantage, Hilton
Originally Posted by sukn
When ticketing with reservation agent, the hold will not be offered. Same limitation already implemented on aa.com.
Originally Posted by Hyperacusis
Does this mean there is a free 24 hour cancellation policy as required by the DOT?
Originally Posted by ckpeter
Not necessarily. The DOT requirement for 24 hours free change has always applied only for reservations outside of 7 days from departure.
Originally Posted by FriendlySkies
Certainly disappointing for those who book their flights within 7 days, but I've been told by multiple agents and other AA representatives that the tix booked within 7 days will be able to be canceled and refunded within 24 hrs. of purchase..
FriendlySkies is correct. The policy has been amended since yesterday to allow a refund within 24-hours for bookings made less than 7 days out.
Old Mar 26, 2014, 3:52 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by sukn
FriendlySkies is correct. The policy has been amended since yesterday to allow a refund within 24-hours for bookings made less than 7 days out.
Very interesting!
Old Mar 26, 2014, 3:53 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

OK, then move along, nothing to see here.
Old Mar 26, 2014, 4:22 pm

Programs: AA & DL / SPG & HGP
Originally Posted by lexicon77
This will suck when a cancellation happens and there are long hold times, I typically now can go on the mobile app, find the flight I want to change to, put it on hold, and then when I get to either a phone agent or airport agent they can rebook me on that flight, now if I buy it outright I would imagine I am stuck paying for the new ticket....

Anyone else have thoughts on this situation? This happened a lot this year with the weather issues.
Exactly, I do this all the time (with delays).
It's often that when a flight is cancelled, by the time I can attempt to change my flight, the targeted flight is sold out, and I say to the agent "I already grabbed the space, please implement my change" and it works.

Good-bye the once great AA, death by a thousand cuts as noted.
This is a big cut for me.
Old Mar 26, 2014, 4:22 pm
Suspended

Location: Watchlisted by the prejudiced, en route to purgatory
Programs: Just Say No to Fleecing and Blacklisting
Originally Posted by skunker
There is no lending of money. The hold is placed prior to entering payment information.
Today the hold on AA.com or via AA agents is placed prior to entering payment information even for bookings within 7 days of scheduled departure?

If anything, it seems like USdbaAA has come closer today to doing what DL and UA do with the charging and then refunding.
Old Mar 26, 2014, 4:23 pm

Originally Posted by carlosdca
This does not affect me at all.

All of my last minute travel is work related and we have to use the corporate travel website that has always allowed for cancellation one day after. If any, corporate would pay for any change fee.

My personal travel is booked months in advance, which one can still put on hold.

[shrugs]
From a narrow point of view, it doesn't affect me either. I always book 4-6 weeks out. But if you look at this big picture, this affects us all--it's yet another winnowing of an already-thin suite of customer service measures offered by AA.

In other words, my question isn't "does this harm me?" but rather "what's next on the chopping block?"
Old Mar 26, 2014, 4:30 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AAdvantage, Hilton
Originally Posted by lobo411
In other words, my question isn't "does this harm me?" but rather "what's next on the chopping block?"
We will know soon enough.
Old Mar 26, 2014, 4:32 pm
Suspended

Location: Watchlisted by the prejudiced, en route to purgatory
Programs: Just Say No to Fleecing and Blacklisting
Originally Posted by lobo411
From a narrow point of view, it doesn't affect me either. I always book 4-6 weeks out. But if you look at this big picture, this affects us all--it's yet another winnowing of an already-thin suite of customer service measures offered by AA.

But the direct financial harm to customers from this move is rather limited unless the bank cards and credit lines of those customers are tied up by way of the charge and refund needs of the customers. Were a fee to come into the picture to "get back" what was possible for free earlier, that's when I'd consider being annoyed by what is going on or has gone on with this change to holds. That said, I expect that I'm not going to like the new "AA" program and the new "AA" customer service as much as the old "AA" because squeezing more money out of customers while giving the customers in the main less is the main game being played by the big US legacy majors nowadays.
Old Mar 26, 2014, 4:39 pm
Suspended

Programs: DL Diamond, AAdvantage EXP, Hyatt Explorist, HHonors Diamond, Avis First
So now we'll have to pay with a CC but we can still get that refunded if we cancel within 24 hours (so basically all they are adding is CC info for the "hold")?
Old Mar 26, 2014, 5:37 pm

Programs: AA Gold
Sometimes I have needed to have an agent book a ticket under special circumstances (cheaper online fares, fare changes, mileage upgrades for last minute travel? I can't remember but it's happened a number of times). The only way to do it was for me to put the flight on hold with the agent still on the phone,and then the agent retrieved it and ticketed. This is a major deal breaker since most all of my travel is last minute.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.