Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Discontinued Programs/Partners > American Airlines | AAdvantage (Pre-Consolidation with USAir)
Reload this Page >

No More Free 24 hr. Hold For Reservations Made Within 7 Days Of Travel

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jan 14, 2015, 11:06 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: JDiver
Free 24 hr. Hold For Reservations Made Within 7 Days Of Travel No Longer Offered

Note: AA no longer refunds tickets purchased within the seven days of flight time frame when one cancels within 24 hours, as of 12 June 2015.

Please follow that topic / policy here: AA No more Refunds within 24 hours if booked inside 7 day window

The 24-hour reservation requirement is mandated by the Department of Transportation’s consumer rule “Enhancing Airline Passenger Protections” (14 CFR 259.5(b)(4), 76 Fed. Reg. 23110, 23166, Apr. 25, 2011) and applies to all reservations made seven days or more prior to the flight’s scheduled departure time.
A 24 hour cancellation policy is called for by USDOT regulations. American Airlines currently meets the requirement by offering 24 hour hold.

1) Allowing one to "hold" a booking for 24 hours rather than purchase immediately. Unfortunately, some may not know this and purchase thinking they can cancel within 24 hours free of fees or cost.

Q: How do I "Hold" a reservation?
A: You may place your reservation on hold for 24 hours if you are booking your reservation seven or more days prior to departure. When you make a reservation on aa.com for American Airlines flights, including American flights operated by codeshare partners, look for the “Free 24 hour hold” option on the “Review and Pay” page during the booking process.

AA Reservations FAQ - Link
Hold Your Reservation On aa.com (Link)

As a convenience for your travel planning, aa.com offers hold* options during booking. You may place your reservation on hold for up to 24 hours for free, or you may pay to place your reservation on hold for an extended time period. When you make a reservation on aa.com for American Airlines flights, including American flights operated by codeshare partners, look for the "Hold" option on the "Review and Pay" page during the booking process.

Hold your reservation for 24 hours or more
* Did you find a good fare, but need more time? Hold your trip.
Here's how it works:
* All holds are free for the first 24 hours.
* If you choose to hold longer, you’ll be charged after 24 hours.
* Hold charges are non-refundable.
* When you’re ready, go to the confirmation email or My Trips to pay for or cancel your trip.
* Be sure to pay with a credit card from the same country you used to hold your trip or your fare may change.
Once you select the Hold option, the Free Hold and Extended Hold offers will display:

Book your flight now!

* Actual hold period depends on fare rules. Some fares require purchase by a specific time.
2) If one is booking for travel within seven days, there is no "hold" option given during the booking process.. The DOT does not require a refund for cancelation within 24 hours of purchase, nor a 24 hour hold. AA used to allow refunds within 24 hours of booking within the seven day purchase to flight time frame; it no longer does so as of 12 June 2014.

Link to PDF USDOT "Guidance on the 24-Hour Reservation Requirement"

Updated 1 July 2015

Print Wikipost

No More Free 24 hr. Hold For Reservations Made Within 7 Days Of Travel

Search this Thread

Old Mar 26, 2014, 8:26 am

Programs: DL DM, AS MVPG, AA PP, UA 1K, Bonvoy Plat, Hyatt Globalist, HH Gold, Avis PC, Hertz PC, Natl EE
Not surprised to see Doug Parker offering the bare minimum required by law.

However, in a more mature response, I strongly suspect it isn't just UG gamers they are trying to mitigate, but more so a myriad of other inventory management headaches that have been caused by letting committal prospective buyers hold onto VERY valuable last minute economy tickets for as much as 47 hours without any commitment to buy and a no pain/effort to cancel.

I personally continually run into problems when I'm buying close in to departure where all my AA connections are sold out except the crummiest options unless I wait until after 12:30 am and then viola I have options again for the morning hours until the holds suck up all the Y seats again.

The holds to prospects are cutting into high margin seats to sell to people who really want to buy.

Now would I like to see a 24hr cancel after purchase even within 7 days of departure ala Delta or United - OF COURSE YES - but I can see why it wont happen.
Old Mar 26, 2014, 8:30 am
Suspended

Location: Watchlisted by the prejudiced, en route to purgatory
Programs: Just Say No to Fleecing and Blacklisting
Fitch7600, I am of the same opinion -- except I expect the money amounts will be higher.

Originally Posted by scubadu
You did catch that this is applicable to travel within 7 days, not across the board.

Are you saying that you all your tickets in the last 10 years were booked inside a 7 day window?

Regards
I book most of my tickets within 7 days of departure. This month, all my own flight tickets have been purchased within a day of start of trip on the ticket.

I hope the DOT revises the rule to cover even same day ticket bookings.

Last edited by GUWonder; Mar 26, 2014 at 8:36 am
Old Mar 26, 2014, 8:50 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by Fitch7600
At some point we will be offered the "new" feature of "Not ready to decide? Put your flight on hold for 48 hours (because they have to make it better than the formerly free 24 hours) for only $X." If you book within 48 hours the hold charge is deducted from the price. Really, even a $.99 hold fee would dramatically cut down on inventory spoilage, but once they can get away charging a fee, they're going to want to make money on it. I'm guessing about $5.

Of course, if they just switched from free hold to paid hold, people would have complained. So now, when they roll out this paid hold, people will be grateful. I figure we'll be seeing this in 60-90 days. And along with that, an enhanced hold for more than 7 days out.
Like KLM's current policy?
Old Mar 26, 2014, 8:50 am

Programs: BAEC Gold, AA PPro, Hyatt Globalist, Amex Plat
Originally Posted by GUWonder
I book most of my tickets within 7 days of departure. This month, all my own flight tickets have been purchased within a day of start of trip on the ticket.
Well then, I guess you are going to have move pretty quickly from contemplating a ticket, to actually buying it on the spot. You've just had a degree of freedom removed. It is what it is.

I hope the DOT revises the rule to cover even same day ticket bookings.
I wouldn't hold your breath...

Regards
Old Mar 26, 2014, 8:52 am

Programs: SPG PLT, AA EXP
24 hour hold within 7 days was pretty critical to using paper travel credit vouchers last minute. I guess we're supposed to find availability, head to the airport and hope for the best?
Old Mar 26, 2014, 8:54 am

Programs: DL GM, SPG GOLD, UA DIRT, AA PLAT, US (RIP), Hilton HHonors
Does this mean that you can no longer hold a ticket for 24 hrs before paying for it, or does this mean that you no longer have a 24 hour risk free cancellation after ticketing and paying?
Old Mar 26, 2014, 9:02 am

Programs: Lots of faux metal
Are there really that many people who want to lend AA that much money to try for an upgrade in that way?
There is no lending of money. The hold is placed prior to entering payment information.
Old Mar 26, 2014, 9:22 am

Programs: AA EXP
no communication?

As I previously stated.....The new policy is not as much of a concern to me (though I disagree with this as a concept and it will, from time to time, cause me an inconvenience). what is more concerning to me is the fact that AA is not communicating any of these changes to us, their most frequent flyers. Especially of note (to me) was the recent change to choice essential and choice plus bundles....... which (to my knowledge) was never announced...... nor (to my knowledge) was any communication attempt made to inform us (their most frequent fliers) of this change.

Change, change, change.......
Old Mar 26, 2014, 9:23 am

Programs: AAdvantage EXP, IHG Spire, Marriott Gold, HHonors Gold, National Executive Elite
Its a shame, as I've done this as a client has told me that I may need to do a trip, and at times, it falls through.

As with Vasatn, I can say that probably 95% or more of my tickets are held prior to purchase. It's not uncommon for me to "roll" that booking for a week or more if a trip is even a chance of changing until the price adjusts.

My problem is I can only travel on weeks I dont have my kids, so its not uncommon to combine 2-3 trips into one monstrosity, and its beneficial to avoid booking until they all mesh.
Old Mar 26, 2014, 9:23 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by AA Flyer
As I previously stated.....The new policy is not as much of a concern to me (though I disagree with this as a concept and it will, from time to time, cause me an inconvenience). what is more concerning to me is the fact that AA is not communicating any of these changes to us, their most frequent flyers. Especially of note (to me) was the recent change to choice essential and choice plus bundles....... which (to my knowledge) was never announced...... nor (to my knowledge) was any communication attempt made to inform us (their most frequent fliers) of this change.
It's not a bad point at all-- they absolutely should, especially this change.
Old Mar 26, 2014, 9:26 am

Programs: UA 1K, B6 Mosaic
Looks like you can still put a mileage award ticket on hold for 24 hours.
Old Mar 26, 2014, 9:27 am

Programs: AA ExPlt, UA Gold, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by ijgordon
As far as I can tell, travel agents will still be able to hold reservations subject to fare rules (e.g., TICKETING MUST BE COMPLETED BY MIDNIGHT 1 DAY AFTER RESERVATIONS ARE MADE OR AT LEAST 3 DAYS BEFORE DEPARTURE WHICHEVER IS EARLIER.). Of course this just holds the space/inventory and the fare could change or disappear.
This is true of the AA policy whether booked through RES or AA.com too. If the fare rule requires ticketing 7days in advance then you don't get the 24 hour hold (you must ticket before midnight to get the fare). If the fare doesn't have an AP that is about to expire, you still get to hold based on the ticketing requirements for the fare rule.
Old Mar 26, 2014, 10:39 am

Programs: AS MVP 75K, AA Platinum, IHG Platinum, Club Carlson Gold
This policy change on 24-holds w/in 7 days must have been implemented in the last 24 hours.

I just held a flight yesterday for a 3/28 departure, and it's on hold till midnight tonight.
Old Mar 26, 2014, 11:01 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA 1M
I can sympathize with AA for doing this. Having such a policy within a week could be costly. I was hoping AA would move to free cancellations within 24 hours policy though.
Old Mar 26, 2014, 11:07 am

Programs: AA EXP
Originally Posted by Fitch7600
IMO, the close in hold will return as an "enhancement" (up-sell). At some point we will be offered the "new" feature of "Not ready to decide? Put your flight on hold for 48 hours (because they have to make it better than the formerly free 24 hours) for only $X." If you book within 48 hours the hold charge is deducted from the price. Really, even a $.99 hold fee would dramatically cut down on inventory spoilage, but once they can get away charging a fee, they're going to want to make money on it. I'm guessing about $5.

Of course, if they just switched from free hold to paid hold, people would have complained. So now, when they roll out this paid hold, people will be grateful. I figure we'll be seeing this in 60-90 days. And along with that, an enhanced hold for more than 7 days out.

The reason I think this will be a little different is that most new fees and charges are directed at more casual flyers. This is one aimed squarely at the most frequent flyers and business travelers so I have to believe there will be a part two to this story.
When I first saw other airlines charging to hold a ticket I thought " how great is AA" and it made me happy that I use them. I would very upset if this leads to a charge for holding.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.